What Type of Sword?

My garb treads a fine line between Elizabethan Rogue and early Pyrate, since my home fair is Elizabethan. Basically I just change from flat cap to cavalier hat to change the look. I'd like to add a sword... one that could fit the late 16th century as well as through the 17th. Were swept hilt rapiers around in Elizabethan times, and would a self-respecting pirate be seen carrying one? Or any other suggestions? TIA.

The Dread Pyrate MacAnselan

aka Mick

Elizabethan is my home period, too, with occasional forays into golden age. The swept hilt is period from the 1580's on, even earlier depending on the exact pattern and definition.

I have half a dozen swept hilts of variuous types and styles, most correct for the period. I don't carry any of them. They are a pain in a crowd, catch on boots, skirts, wheels, booths, and just about everything else. Historically, they are a gentleman's weapon and took a fair amount of instruction in the correct use. I've had a lot of instruction and (said modestly) am a fair hand with a rapier.

My preference for a carry weapon is a short, single edged, 25 inch curved blade with a shell guard over the knuckles and a single knucklebow with a slight downswept quillon. Variously called a cuttoe, hanger, hunting sword, cutlass, etc.

I forged the hilt and carved the grip myself, the blade is an original 18th/19th century Austrian sabre. I carry if for many reasons. First, it is real and I won't carry any weapon that won't do the job it is designed for or is just a showpiece or wallhanger. Second, it is correct from1580 to 1740, so I don't need to worry about a different sword for each period.

Third, slung from a baldric, it stays out of the way.

That's my two penn'orth, anyway.

Hawkyns

:huh:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Hawkyns,

Thank You. That's very interesting. A couple follow-on questions if I may...

Is there anything in particular to look for in a cutlass to make sure it's period for late 1500's... or put another way, are there features of some cutlasses that wouldn't fit? Also, were cutlasses in use *in England* at that time? TIA!

The Dread Pyrate MacAnselan

aka Mick

Well, stay away from metal grips- wood, bone or horn, or wire wrapped over leather would be correct. Obviously the figure 8 or double disk hilt is out of period. Look for civilian styled hunting hangers.

The early form of the term, curtleaxe dates to about 1580 in an English reference, so yes, they do date to England in period.

They are listed as sabers, hangers, dusagges, only occasionally do you see the term cutlass. The sword predates the word. One particular type that I do like is the Sinclair Sabre

http://showcase.goantiques.com/detail,germ...bre,529520.html

Very early in the history of Museum Replicas, they offered a copy of this type of sword. I'm still kicking myself that I didn't get one. If anyone has one lying around unloved......

Hawkyns

:lol:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg