Making Pirate Clothes...

Calico_Jack

I sew my own designs for a hobby, and I'm trying to make some pirate things. I was wondering if anyone could help with a bit of difficulty I'm running into...

Firstly, boots. I read that in Pirates of the Caribbean, the boots weren't actual boots per se, just leather shoes with the upper part strapped on under the heel, spats I think they're called.

So I'm considering buying a pair of cheap leather shoes, some leather remnants and making my own.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on patterns or advice on sewing with (soft) leather? And on altering the colour of the base shoes to match the upper part.

Secondly, if anybody could poke me towards a pattern for a coat that could easily be altered to be piratey it would be muchos appreciated.

:)

If anyone else needs a wee bit o help with a sewing project I might be able te help though I'm not very good.

Apologies if there be another thread like this, I skimmed down the list and if there was I missed it. x

If'n ye need a pattern fer ye boots, Butterick and McCalls have one or two in the costumes. The rest o' the pattern with the boots be not pirate though they also be hav'n some piraty costumes as well. Being as I am known for me sewing in these parts, I'd be honored to give ye assistance if'n ye need.

291681265_m.jpg Drink Up Me Harties Yo Ho!

Go to Jo-Ann's fabrics during their next pattern sale. $0.99 per pattern!

Try this pattern from Simplicity. . . . it's the best pirate coat commercial pattern out there so far.

http://www.simplicity.com/designFrame.cfm?...806&design=4923

-Jennifer

"Let them eat cake. No wait, kill 'em all instead, and plunder the cake for yourself. Mmmmm, cake. . ."

Jo-Anne's fabrics? $0.99?

Erm, can I point out I'm in England?

That just went 'wooosh' over my head....

And I saw that pattern in the other thread, it looks good if a little difficult.

Bearing in mind I don't have a sewing machine at the mehment as it broke, I'd have to do every last bit by hand....eek.

good luck mate with that sewing by hand thing, my machine died also, but i'm not brave enough to go on using not but my hands and a needle.

"Time Flies When Your Having RUM!!!!"

"But everyone talks with a British accent when they drink."

Stow Away on the Juryrig