Shrub!

I just made some lemon Shrub. Was going to add to my whiskey Sours but havent been drinking much of late. I've made it with strawberries and it was very tasty, but it gave me hives once, not sure why just the once. haven't tried again, but was going to try it with cherries. could be a nice addition to the Apple Pie!

This is refreshing, when you mix it roughly 1 part shrub and 2 parts sparkling water.

You can put it in cocktails or whatever requires some zest.

How to Make a Shrub Drink

You only need three simple ingredients to make a shrub recipe:

• Fresh produce: you can use fruit (berries, citrus fruits, and stone fruits work best), vegetables (try beets, pumpkin, celery, or fennel), or herbs
  • Sugar: granulated, brown, or a mix
  • Vinegar: apple cider, white wine, red wine, and balsamic are all great options

Here's a step-by-step guide to making a shrub:

1. Prepare the produce: Wash it and chop it into small pieces.
  2. Add sugar: In a bowl, mix the fruit with an equal amount of sugar. Let it macerate for several hours or overnight, allowing the sugar to draw out the fruit's juices.
  3. Strain the mixture: After the maceration process, strain the fruit and discard; collect the syrup.
  4. Add vinegar: Mix the syrup with an equal amount of vinegar, stirring until well combined.

shrub.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Bloody hell, that looks like medicine! 🫢 
Veggies or herbs? Might make a good addition for yo'r salamagundi!

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I saw Colonial Williamsburg has a shrub mix. I admit, I laughed because it reminds me of a Margarita mix you get in stores. 

Keep us updated with the taste testing, please? Eager to hear about more of your shrub adventures. ;)🍺🏴‍☠️

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I've tried this two ways:

one with just ice water (2 parts ice water, 1 part shrub) - Refreshing drink in the Arizona heat!

I made Whiskey Sours with my normal dry mix and added a jigger of shrub (again 2 parts of mix with 1 part shrub) - Added a new twist to the flavor!

"Shrub" is just a funny name!

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

On the Townsends YouTube Channel, they talk about making Switchel. I think it's similar, but different and is made from vinegar, water, sugar/molasses/maple syrup and ginger. Shrub gets an honorable mention for being made similarly, but with the addition of fruit.