Scenes Depicting Late 17th Century and 18th Century St Augustine, Florida

In regards to the first picture, on Facebook you mentioned something about the lack of hills/mountains surrounding St Augustine. I've only been there a couple times and don't recall much in the way of high ground. 

Posted (edited)

Lol, it was a joke. St Augustine is super flat in all directions. I think whoever created the first picture had never been there. The second one is more accurate to the area. It reminds me of that scene in that "not-so-good" Blackbeard miniseries with Angus Macfadyen. When they reach the harbor at Charleston, there are mountains and hills behind it. If you've ever been, no hills at all. Way to go Hollywood!

Edited by Sully Cross

The second image likely has to be post-1703 (1704?), as it depicts the stone fort which was not completed until some time int he first handful of years of the 1700s.

But yeah, as a frequent traveller to St.Augustine, it is flat there.... almost as flat as Ohio even. :D

Michael_banner.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2024 at 6:58 PM, Sully Cross said:

Lol, it was a joke. St Augustine is super flat in all directions.

LOL, I  know - the second image made sense to my recollection, but they're both great images.

Gotta love the period engravings, hmm? 🥰🏴‍☠️
That first image looks like there is a big river flowing inland. Very interesting. 

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

On 6/1/2024 at 9:48 AM, LadyBarbossa said:

Gotta love the period engravings, hmm?

I know, it shows just how accurate one can be when the illustrator that has never stepped foot out of England and draws from someone else's written description.

On 6/3/2024 at 8:47 AM, Stynky Tudor said:

I know, it shows just how accurate one can be when the illustrator that has never stepped foot out of England and draws from someone else's written description.

🤣😂🤭😁  Someone has to confuse somebody if they can't confuse the enemy.

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!