Early Colonial South Carolina

Posted (edited)

The first English settlers came to what is the modern port of Charleston, South Carolina in 1670. They were mostly wealthy planters from the Caribbean colony of Barbados. By 1700 the colony was exporting deerskin, cattle, rice, and naval stores (such as masts and turpentine). The Province of Carolina was split into North and South Carolina in 1712. Beaufort, pronounced BEW-fert, was chartered in 1711, was the second established town in South Carolina. Because of numerous attacks by Native Tribes and Spaniards, it was not until 1733 and the founding of Georgia as a buffer colony did Beaufort truly grow. Georgetown became the 3rd town to be settled in 1722. In 1732, Georgetown became an official port of entry, allowing the area’s merchants and planters to deal directly with traders. Previously, all foreign exports and imports had to pass through Charles Town. The colonial government of South Carolina fought several conflicts with local Native Tribes and Spanish Florida while fending off the threat of piracy.

Below are early and mid 18th century maps of Charleston and Beaufort.

Chucktown.jpg

Beaufort1.jpg

Edited by Sully Cross

Posted (edited)

Yes, the town of Beaufort is on Port Royal Island as well as the town of Port Royal. Port Royal was obviously the port for the town even though Beaufort had a large wharf which is now the waterfront park. I grew up on the large island to the east, St. Helena Island. 

Edited by Sully Cross

• 2 weeks later...

Before our April 2024 1721 event at Fort King George, I had been skimming, "The Forgotten History of America" and was looking through the 1715/1716 section on the Carolinas. I believe it was there that mentioned Port Royal - I mistakenly assumed Jamaica. 

At the event while discussing the general history of the area, Tartan Jack pointed out that the book was talking about a different Port Royal.

Anyway I figured it was close by, I just didn't realize it was talking about Port Royal Island - thanks for clarifying.

PXL_20240531_213539719.jpg.6952c34779f22a52c724aa9dfdf82089.jpg     

12 hours ago, Mary Diamond said:

Ah, so much to read, so little time… how I wish we could have a Pyracy Pub Little Library! And an eidetic memory, instead of the sieve I currently use.

LOL I'll second that, Mary! 
I'm going bonkers over all this info! My poor brain is begging for some reading but... home chores! UGH! Keep tossing tidbits out, please! Loving this! 😍🏴‍☠️

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

On 5/31/2024 at 8:55 PM, Mary Diamond said:

...how I wish we could have a Pyracy Pub Little Library!

Way back in the Pub's history, William Brand had permission to upload PDF images/documents. But with the disorganized state of the messageboard software system, I'm not sure if or how well they were cataloged/organized. Maybe we should create a library section of sorts...

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2024 at 8:43 AM, Stynky Tudor said:

Way back in the Pub's history, William Brand had permission to upload PDF images/documents. But with the disorganized state of the messageboard software system, I'm not sure if or how well they were cataloged/organized. Maybe we should create a library section of sorts...

Brilliant idea! 

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!