Early Modern Recipes

So, today during downtime at work I did a quick Google search for some more period correct recipes for delicious Nom-noms for me to make, (as per the vice royal writ I received at 1721) and I came across this gem of a blog!

https://rarecooking.com/

Recipes are all from 1600-1800, and source/original recipe is listed, mostly from the archives at Penn State apparently (who knew my old home states pride and joy school actually had a historical collection worth the time of day??)

Of particular interest to me are the recipes for donuts, sugar biskets, strawberry preserves, lemmon cream....but even more important of all, a period appropriate method of brewing coffee!!!!

Might try some of these in practice in the coming weeks and post the experiments here 

Definitely takes practice with period recipes, especially finding modern substitutes for ingredients. Good luck!

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

43 minutes ago, madPete said:

Definitely takes practice with period recipes, especially finding modern substitutes for ingredients. Good luck!

The nice thing about this particular blog is they post the original recipe and then they post a modern adaptation the author developed, so the hard work is already done. Just need to figure out where the heck to buy rosewater since it's in like EVERYTHING lol...

Posted (edited)

Ohhhh, I love the rarecooking.com site. I tried making an "almond pudding" recipe a couole of years ago, which turned out to basically be an almond custard pie with a lot of citrus rind to zip up the flavours.

It was great. In fact I am looking at taking another crack at that recipe in the coming weeks for a different event.

But yeah, I love how the rare cooking site gives a recipe, shows the source, and more often than not, privides a modern interpretation as well.

Rose water is easiest found on Amazon.... I don't care to buy things there, but it is what it is. If you live in an area with a lot fo ethnic grocery stores (especially Eastern Medditeranean or Arabic or Persian based ethnic grocers) it can often be found there.... but II ended up having to go to the online order. :(

Edit: The post I made when I tried the recipe... I made it as a whole pie whereas the rare cooking site did it as tarts.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.s.bagley/posts/pfbid0Gv5G4Lk88AN6jpgFPUkWCmrEa8DZB6CPdy7sXspnS6ykPctaw4KCjVA1CBenJ9Grl

Edited by michaelsbagley
Correct some typos and add link
Michael_banner.jpg

On 5/15/2024 at 6:47 PM, Tudor MercWench Smith said:

So, today during downtime at work I did a quick Google search for some more period correct recipes for delicious Nom-noms for me to make, (as per the vice royal writ I received at 1721) and I came across this gem of a blog!

https://rarecooking.com/

Recipes are all from 1600-1800, and source/original recipe is listed, mostly from the archives at Penn State apparently (who knew my old home states pride and joy school actually had a historical collection worth the time of day??)

Of particular interest to me are the recipes for donuts, sugar biskets, strawberry preserves, lemmon cream....but even more important of all, a period appropriate method of brewing coffee!!!!

Might try some of these in practice in the coming weeks and post the experiments here 

Ah, His Grace will be most pleased! 😊❤️

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!