Needing some advise

moricktowain

I'm in need of some advise dealing with a problem I'm facing.

On Dec 24, 2002, I decided to create a pirate crew in the Dallas area that was directed more towards the gay/lesbian community (Get them out of the modern bars, and take them to renaissance faires and get them into the pubs drinking and carrousing like pirates.). During the past year and 3 months, I had a total of 4 people join, and since Christmas I havn't heard hide nor hair of them.

I'm currently debating whether to give up and find a crew in the Dallas area that will welcome a gay (straight acting) pirate, or to keep trying....

Any advise?

Morick Towain, Captain of the Pirate Brethren of Texas

Morick Towain

IBoRP #116

Captain of the Pirate Brethren of Texas

*BLACK SKOT stomps his boot up on the edge O' the bar and looks around at everyone in the pub *

Let me tell ya thar Mori....Thers more than one way to skin a cat.

That's all I got ta say bout that.

If ye wants to be in an all gay crew, then keep at it. Ye be findin' yer gay maties.

If ye wants to be with whatever crew you can find.....Then let it be.

Maybe thar be some mates still in the closet!

Either way...Do what you feel in yer gut.

What? Me? Sorry, No....not gay.

Happy........not gay.

Married to a beautiful woman.

Good luck with yer choices.

BLACK SKOT ---(BLACKIE)

"Quarter" Master

Pyrates of the Coast

"Permit me aboard and I'll be takin' over yer ship...

Don't permit me aboard and I'll still take over yer ship"

Good luck to ya Morrick, there be a few gay pirates in the Minnesota region, but not sure about Dallas..

there is something called Pirate hookup weekends.. that is nationally advertised.. not sure if that would help, but might.. will look for site..lol

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Aye!! Well done and a slap to yer back for the efforts.

I have a good many friends that are Gay (out here in CA) and most attend faires trying to be what they really are not.... well, except the fellow that DOES dress up as Queen Elizabeth every year but that's another story.... Some don't even participate because they feel uncomfortable or unwelcome.

I think a Guild of their own is a fine idea. :unsure:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I say stick to your guns lad. Hell, who knows what lurkers may be on this board that might just be prospective crew members. Wouldn't let that stop ya from joining with another crew as well for festivities, et al, though.

:)

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

Ahoy! Jus' keep on keepin' on, mate!..We've pirates of all persuaisions aboard, it matters naught in affairs 'o piracy, ..and if it does, then sail away, maytee, and find a new homeport 
Ah the voice o' wisdom.

Lad do both. Have a crew that be a rainbow 'n add yer self to any crew ye ken find, 'n bring yer friends with ya.

I got a cousin in Dallas (no idea o' his perswashun, as it were, 'n REALLY don't care), sure would like ta see him in ta Pyracy tho. It'd make 'is day job more legitmate in my eyes (works for one o' those up-town pricy Dallas stores). :huh:

'N if'n ye don't find a crew 'ceptin o ya right off, keep a lookin. 'Cause real pyrates don't care 'bout "perswayshun" , it's all 'bout yer swag :unsure:

On the subject, wasn't there a certain gay pirate that went by Pierre the Pansy Pirate? I seem to remember hearing somewhere that he was a historical figure from around the time of Bonney/Reade. All I remember is that he was a dress maker with piracy on the side. However, I've not read about him before, so I could also be completely off my rocker.

Coastie :unsure:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I cannot say I have heard of a Guild Catering to a gay pirate community in Washington either., however I believe this is some of the story your looking for?

"Another of Anne Bonney's menfriends was much more certainly gay—Pierre Bouspeut (sometimes called Pierre Delvin or Peter Bosket, or simply "Pierre the Pansy Pirate")—who ran a coffee shop, hairdressing and dress-making shop, for he was a designer of fine velvet and silk clothing. Anne and Pierre got word that a French Merchantman richly laden with costly materials would be sailing by, and together they organized their first "privateering" raid. With the aid of some of Pierre's friends they stole a boat from the abandoned wrecks in the harbor, and liberally covered the topsail, deck and themselves with turtle blood. In the bow they placed one of Pierre's dress- maker's dummies, dressed in women's clothing and similarly splashed with blood. Anne stood over this nightmare figure with a blood-soaked axe, and they sailed out to the Merchantman. When its crew caught sight of this demonic ship by the light of the full moon, they were so horrified by the impending mayhem that they turned over the cargo of their vessel without a fight. "

HarborMaster

( a side note I have searched the the far east and the world as a connesoiur of mu-shoo :unsure: ) ...., ever been to Taiwan.,Japan or the Philippines ?

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

On a side note here, Me buddy Robert, seen in me personnal photo.. was fired for not being dressed as the elegant Robert Lord Phuff, but rather Bhuff, the daring and hairy Lady at MNRF.

After a rather tearful weekend (he missed his 10 year anniversary party since it was on grounds and he was ordered offsite) he was asked to come back since the gay community in Minneapolis was going to go to the faire as fairies..all they could muster.

There is a group out there, the hard part is to find them. Try a bigger city paper, with an eye to the groups or community meetings. If little dinky Iowa towns have them, Texas should..

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

I'm going to give some dissenting advice. I think (FIND!) that it's hard enough to get a group of pirate-minded folks together, PERIOD!

Making it harder on yourself by trying to recruit pirates of a specific age, race, color, gender, sexual orientation, political viewpoint, breakfast cereal preference, or whatever, is just making a difficult task that much more difficult. :blink:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Aye, I have to agree with Captain William, it be much easier to find folk that say that they be interested and wanting to commit, but finding ones that actually do and follow through and show be the more difficult task.

You could try joining a pirate group in your area first, then maybe spin off into a second group with those that you be finding an affinity with.

Or maybe hook up with your local college student union and troll for members in one of the gay alliances. . .

I now this has got to suck for you and probably isn’t what ya want, but I’m not sure that the popularity of being part of a locally organized pirate group is sufficient enough to have such a specialized focus. I just don’t think we’ve got the numbers, gay or straight.

It seems there are plenty of gay venues ., I see it all the time on "the no spin zone"., Do you HAVE to find a Pirate group thats gay?., Or perhaps ., just being in a pirate crewe is good enough. What differance should there be if its only the commeraderie of the piranical events entertainment ., parades ., faires and boozin' tha your after. isnt Sexual preferance stuff better left at home? The reason for my reaction here ., is I dont understand why it NEEDS to be a Public issue., however as of late in our news media., schools ., churches., and other venues., it has become VERY public??? I dont see any heterosexual parades?

My Wife and I ., as well as our employee (at our plumbing service) Johnny., cannot really find a local pirate outfit., and will likeley be traveling 60+ miles to get to one we hope to join.......If you can Join a crewe., consider your self lucky., and perhaps leave the other stuff out of it?

Just a thought

HarborMaster

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

I'm going to give some dissenting advice. I think (FIND!) that it's hard enough to get a group of pirate-minded folks together, PERIOD!

Making it harder on yourself by trying to recruit pirates of a specific age, race, color, gender, sexual orientation, political viewpoint, breakfast cereal preference, or whatever, is just making a difficult task that much more difficult. B)

Capt. William

Aye Captain William....I been try'n ta recruit a whole crew o' wenches fer me ship HMS Adventure.....but they all want to bring their boyfriend blokes with them.......lol :lol:

All joking aside Stynky Tudor has hit the nail on the head....sometimes it is just too tough to find enough pirates to fill out a crew no matter what kind of pirate they are.

Fair Winds

KP