A description of a 17th century sailor down on his luck

Hawkyns

Came across this on another forum:

In 1672, when he was a young sailor/pilot, his ship got captured, they took everything and the crew was sent in prison in Ostend.

They spend 3 days and prison, than are freed and each men is given the equivalent of "15 sol" to pay for their way back to France and the men are left in a very miserable condition:

...je n'avois sur moy qu'un justaucorps sans manches raptassé de pièces de thoille godronnés et une pareille culotte, des vieux bas de deux couleurs et sans pieds, et de misérables souliers qui m'abandonnèrent à la première lieue, et pour bonnet le haut d'un vieux bas attaché avec une ficelle...

...all I had with me was a sleeveless justaucorp patched with some tarred canvas and similar breeches, some olds "feetless" socks of different colours, some crappy shoes that dyed on me at the first mile and for a hat, the top of an old sock tight up with a string...

This is from the journal of Jean Doublet available from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co...6740383&sr=1-11

Hawkyns

Master Gunner

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

These things get around quickly don't they! That's a c+p of Cuisto Mako's post on this very forum from 9 May:

https://pyracy.com/index.php?/topic/14147-interesting-period-descriptions/page__st__40

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

LOL!! No it's a cut and paste of his, under another name, from the Frontier Folk MB.

Hadn't seen the one on this board.

Hawkyns

Master gunner.

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg