Inside Pockets and Garters

Grymm

[Moderation note: This topic was split from waistcoats with sleeves or without ?]

I wear one, but my costume is based on a lower class gentleman's clothing, not a sailor's and I don't know enough to respond beyond that. I trust my tailor implicitly, however. (Except when I insist he do something for me that wouldn't be correct like adding inside pockets to a coat. Then any error is entirely my own.)

Pockets inside a coat!? You heathen

Nah, just joshing you, actually, the main protaganist in Hogarth's Cruelty In Perfection has his pistol in an inside pocket.

04F3E82E-05DF-4AE8-915D-8F6F4829A004_o.jpg

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

Ah, so inside pockets are there for criminals and surgeons. :D

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Doh, just noticed he's an inside pocket on each side, he's being pickpocketed or having evidence planted in his LH (as we look) one.

I actually asked Michael to put them at chest level where they are in modern coats, which he didn't seem to think would be accurate, although since they're hidden, he agreed to do that for me. Michael is cool like that. And I am a heathen like that.

To add apparel crime upon apparel crime, I would actually like to sew the tops of my socks into the cuff of my knee pants (er, breeches) so that they will never fall down again. Except then I'd have to wear the same stinky socks if I wore those breeches two days in a row.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

That's what garters are for...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Found another inside pocket, again's a bit later but an existing piece in Porvoo Museum, Swashbuckler that's up your way any picture of nice things for us from there?

From http://www.fashioningtheearlymodern.ac.uk/workshops/workshop-2/workshop-2-photos/

description is, 'A selection of clothing items from the Porvoo museum’s clothing and textile collection is shown below:'

and near the bottom

IMG_0561-90x120.jpg 1750's coat with inside pocket IMG_0583-90x120.jpg which judging by the curve on the CF seam is nipple height.

Sorry they're so teeny but the big'uns are protected.

Found another inside pocket, again's a bit later but an existing piece in Porvoo Museum, Swashbuckler that's up your way any picture of nice things for us from there?

From http://www.fashionin...kshop-2-photos/

description is, 'A selection of clothing items from the Porvoo museum’s clothing and textile collection is shown below:'

and near the bottom

IMG_0561-90x120.jpg 1750's coat with inside pocket IMG_0583-90x120.jpg which judging by the curve on the CF seam is nipple height.

If I make trip to Porvoo sometimes I will visit there ....nice place it seems.....

What a nice waistcoat and it has sleeves hmmm (wondering one other tread....)

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

No garters are for making you spend money on something that either cuts off the circulation to your legs or don't work properly.

Actually, my big problem with garters is that to work with some of my breeches, they'd have to be worn above my knee. As if the damned things don't already look silly enough when you put them on below your knees... Well, IMO. But then I don't like the breeches much to begin with. Although I like 'em loads better when they go down to my upper calf, which I'm told is a later period look.

Mission_banner5.JPG

No garters are for making you spend money on something that either cuts off the circulation to your legs or don't work properly.

Actually, my big problem with garters is that to work with some of my breeches, they'd have to be worn above my knee. As if the damned things don't already look silly enough when you put them on below your knees... Well, IMO. But then I don't like the breeches much to begin with. Although I like 'em loads better when they go down to my upper calf, which I'm told is a later period look.

No......... Garters are for slipping dollar bills into !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I make trip to Porvoo sometimes I will visit there ....nice place it seems.....

What a nice waistcoat and it has sleeves hmmm (wondering one other tread....)

Pretty sure it's not a waistcoat, looking at the other pics of it on the site it has the collar, small turnback cuff, rear vents, skirts and back details of a mid to late 18thC coat.

From http://www.fashionin...kshop-2-photos/

and near the bottom

Looking at the larger photos, that is exactly the kind of pocket I had Michael put in for me.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Oi Grymm, any idea when the pockets in the back skirts started making an appearance?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/