leather pouches

endkaos

So I have these two suede leather pelts. I'm using part to make cuffs for off the shelf suede boots I have. I was hoping to make something else, which is why I bought two pelts. I was thinking of making a leather pouch for my cell phone/keys/money. Will this work or am I doomed to forever own suede pelts with no projects?

~Tori

Like any unmanned ship, a novice sailor will eventually steer into the wind and then in circles.

Right now I'm workin' on a nice leather tricorne outa some o' the pertiest black suade I seen in awhile. Ye may need to double the thickness to make it stiff enough, but it could work. Other than that, pouches, a vest maybe or trim on some outfit or, if yer really feelin' piraty.....eye patches!

I think, therefor I am. Or maybe I just think I am.

I picked up some leather at Ft. Gaines' Colonial Days, and am going to try me inept hand at makin' a knife sheath. I NEED the sheath, so that should give me the incentive to get started. :ph34r:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Aye, a knife sheath is always a good idea. A lesson I learnt the hard way. I used to keep me eatin' knife just tucked inta me belt an' I always kept 'er sharp. Then one day I were at a demo at the local Catholic school. I cut me belt in 'alf an' everthing dropped to the floor. Thank God, I were in the head at the time. :ph34r:

It really depends on the suede. I've got some suede that is a good 4oz stuff, nearly as stiff as full grain leather. Other stuff is 1-2oz and is as flexible as light cotton cloth. The stiffer and less flexible the better, but you can always make a straight drawstring pouch. The easiest way is to cut a circle 12-14 inch diameter. Punch holes around the edge about 1 1/2 inches apart. Thread a leather thong through and gather it into a pouch. Leave enough thong so you can get your hand in easily and tie it to your belt. but not enough to let the pouch open up completely flat.

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Here is a pouch pattern for you. It's a simple fold over. For a good pattern for a draw string ":gold dust" type pouch. Take a part a Dixie Cup.

Pouch.jpg

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

Haha, I'm actually sewing (or going to be) for me daughter's cheap suede Walmart boots. Plus I'm making suede pouch meself out of what is left. It's pretty thin Tandy Leather type stuff though, bought it at the local craft store. For the pouch, I don't expect it to last very long, just something to go with me costume that holds me real world wallet while at faire ot festival.

Anyway, I would love to see how the stuff you make turns out.

Hey Black Deacon, Great template - pouch pattern! Thanks for sharing it with us.

I agree. That is exactly what I am looking for. Thank ye so much! :ph34r:

~Tori

Like any unmanned ship, a novice sailor will eventually steer into the wind and then in circles.

hmmmmm a suede tricor? I would love a suede tricor. This stuff is very heavy so I will guess that it is medium thick with a some stiffness. Oh, but do I have the skill to make something so desired with perfection? I can't sew worth salt but I would really love a suede tricor. hmmmmm decisions decisions decisions......... :ph34r:

~Tori

Haha, I'm actually sewing (or going to be) for me daughter's cheap suede Walmart boots. Plus I'm making suede pouch meself out of what is left. It's pretty thin Tandy Leather type stuff though, bought it at the local craft store. For the pouch, I don't expect it to last very long, just something to go with me costume that holds me real world wallet while at faire ot festival.

My pleasure. I've been doing leather work for re-enacting for many years. And some of the best things I've seen come out of people who just had a simple design in their head and worked it out. That's what a Pirate would have done. We was the first Marines. Adapt and Overcome.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

I get allot of my leather now days from www.leatherfactory.com

--------------

sig1.jpg

Ouch The Leather Factory web site hates me. . . or me Mozilla web browser anyways. It must be designed with just Microsoft users only in mind, me Microsoft Exploiter browser just loads and navigates the site fine.

It’s a great site by the way.

Oh here’s a simple pattern I’m using far the pouch I be working on.

simpleFlapPouchDesign.gif

I just finnished sewin' me tricorne an' I don' mean to brag, but it looks mighty perty. It is still a little too floppy though an' I'll 'ave to use somethin' to stiffen 'er with. I'm thinkin' bees wax. Any suggestions?

Hm, I'd get a little worried it wouldn't work into the grain of the leather well enough, or if left in the car it might start to sofen all your work. Check out milliner supplies for stiffening, or even leather suppliers for what they use to stiffen but leave supple their leathers.

I found the following quote on stiffening leather. I remember an Discovery Channel show called Lynette Jennings where she visited a man who made leather masks for Mardi Gras. He used a combination of water and manipulation to make the leather harden. Well anyway, here is the quote.

"I have made masks before using 1 to 2 mm veg. tan leather, stiffened by soaking the leather in alcohol. The alcohol did stiffen the leather up more than if I had used water, but because the leather was so thin, I could never get it to stiffen up as much as I felt it should be. I ended up having to apply a heavy coat of lacquer as a final step.

David Kawamura and Peter Main have told me about a liquid leather stiffener produced in Japan that would be an ideal solution, but I will have to ask them for more information (what it's called and where it can be obtained -Craft and Co. or Kyoshin Elle & Co.,LTD.). David used it to stiffen a leather ball cap he entered in the Federation show in Denver. If Peter reads this, maybe he can offer some insight.

I also learned of a very old Italian method for making leather mask in the "Commedia del Art" style, while attending "The Dimensions in Leather Conference" in Australia a few years back. Peter could explain the technique much better than I. I was not able to attend the workshop (taught by Peter's good friend, Loraine Tinniswood) that dealt with it, so my knowledge of what is involved is limited. As I remember, it did involve breaking the leather down into a mushy consistency then forming it to a mold by tapping with the pointed end of a cow horn mallet. Sounds strange, but the end result was a mask that felt like it was made out of lacquered wood."

~Tori

Thank ye endkaos, I'll try those methods. Fortunatly I still have a few scraps to do the testing on before attackin' me hat. Now that I think about it, I should 'ave remembered that alcohol makes leather stiff. A lesson I learned 'bout thirty years ago after spillin' me whiskey on me buckskins..... a few times. Still don't understand how it happened, for some odd reason I weren't too steady on me feet an' me grip on me mug weren't too good. ;) Thank ye again lass.