Pirates killers or not?

There are scads and gobs of them in the General History. Sometimes they're quite graphic [like l'Olonoise cutting out someone's heart and gnawing on it] and other times they're nearly footnotes [such as '10 men were lost out of the x BRN ship during the battle' or 'the ship of x100 slaves was burnt rather than bothering to save them.']

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

There are scads and gobs of them in the General History. Sometimes they're quite graphic [like l'Olonoise cutting out someone's heart and gnawing on it] and other times they're nearly footnotes [such as '10 men were lost out of the x BRN ship during the battle' or 'the ship of x100 slaves was burnt rather than bothering to save them.']

I said first hand stuff like Snelgrave or individual or lesser know cases but... I know all Low stuff and all

Some stuff in the Buccaneers of america is (same with GHoP) are questionable like did Morgan use monks as human shield in Porto Bello at that case it is odd that there is no Spanish mentions of it even that Spaniards usually used all opportunities to defame English Buccaneers but in that case there is no mentions of that cruelty from Morgan only the book. Book also says that Morgan was low born which he was not....

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

I think a more interesting underlying question to your question might be how many on-going first-hand GAoP pirate accounts are there? Many of those I've seen are not long-running accounts of a group of pirates, but single incidences recorded in or for court proceedings. (Unsupported, such may not be highly regarded in academic study, including, to some degree, history. The scientific method gives them the (rather derogatory) name of 'anecdotal evidence.' However, if you could gather than and post them here as you seem to want, you might have something. Then again, if you were inclined to go to that much trouble, I would publish it to get something out of my work and not just pop it on some public forum for all the world to steal see.)

Also keep in mind that some of what is contained in the General History is supposed to be gathered from first hand accounts which might otherwise be lost to us. So I think it is may be foolish to discard it out of hand. At least until Foxe puts out his volume highlighting the sources of the General History.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

I think a more interesting underlying question to your question might be how many on-going first-hand GAoP pirate accounts are there? Many of those I've seen are not long-running accounts of a group of pirates, but single incidences recorded in or for court proceedings. (Unsupported, such may not be highly regarded in academic study, including, to some degree, history. The scientific method gives them the (rather derogatory) name of 'anecdotal evidence.' However, if you could gather than and post them here as you seem to want, you might have something. Then again, if you were inclined to go to that much trouble, I would publish it to get something out of my work and not just pop it on some public forum for all the world to steal see.)

Also keep in mind that some of what is contained in the General History is supposed to be gathered from first hand accounts which might otherwise be lost to us. So I think it is may be foolish to discard it out of hand. At least until Foxe puts out his volume highlighting the sources of the General History.

Well quite rigth but....

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

history is often written by the winners and noone EVER exaggerates to sell a story.

if history is written well after the fact by participants, it often becomes skewed. look at the john smith journals of the chesapeake bay exploration. written years later after illness, alcohol, and time, surviving participants of the journey wondered if they were on the same trip at times.

information may be found to be not recorded or transcribed properly. then "I think" jumps in and someone on the net posts it, gives their impression and it is taken as gospel.

I digress, this horse has been beaten, kicked, hung back out and run over more than once.

Swashbuckler, I might suggest you ask folks for places to look for references and search them out. one turned stone may lead to another that may not be as common. plus, you never know what may be found that is completely irrelevant to your original query but starts a whole new chapter.

Swashbuckler, I might suggest you ask folks for places to look for references and search them out. one turned stone may lead to another that may not be as common. plus, you never know what may be found that is completely irrelevant to your original query but starts a whole new chapter.

Precisely. Excellent point. (I am really enjoying my reading of the General History.)

Mission_banner5.JPG