Hair of the Golden Age

Pyrate Joe

I wasn't able to find anything on this by searching through old posts, but I am curious. Under the wigs, which I understand were common around the time, what would a mariner/pirate's hair style have been like? I picture a rather unkempt group of individuals, but I can also see how longer hair would have been impractical on board a ship.

I tend to doubt that many pirates went about with a set of dreads like some depictions which have become popular. Ha!

Another less pressing question I ponder. What is a good web site for authentic depictions of sailors and pirates? I'm having a hard time trying to pin one down.

Thanks to you all!

I wasn't able to find anything on this by searching through old posts, but I am curious. Under the wigs, which I understand were common around the time, what would a mariner/pirate's hair style have been like? I picture a rather unkempt group of individuals, but I can also see how longer hair would have been impractical on board a ship.

I tend to doubt that many pirates went about with a set of dreads like some depictions which have become popular. Ha!

Another less pressing question I ponder. What is a good web site for authentic depictions of sailors and pirates? I'm having a hard time trying to pin one down.

Thanks to you all!

Hello

Some pics here http://www.piratebre...ats/hats01.html. Good site is http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/ but (no offence to anyone) like all sites or books it should be treated with criticism since there is some tiny tiny errors there....

Hair was in this age often short and there were not much ponytais or even less pigtails which were in sailor use later 18th century. Black Beard had huge breads with his beard but Jack Sparrow style was not at least popular if used at all.

It seems if wig was used there were no real hair see this tread https://pyracy.com/in...sting-pictures/

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

I also like to start sailor wig conversation since I have found references to it like this:

English Merchant Seamen 1650-1775, pg 91-92:

"Foodstuffs, especially cheese and bacon, were also sold to sailors and debited against their wages by captains and pursers, as were many other things such as bedding, clothes, tobacco and drink...Some sailors were almost completely outfitted from the ship's stores, such as William Cotter of the snow Lawson who in six months bought a quilt, a wig and twenty items of clothing for a total of £7." Thank for this guote to Brit.Privateer

This is also interesting

https://pyracy.com/in...s-effects-1722/

Also this practically Gaop pic is interesting man seems to have a wig (BTW there is person on the rigth with typical short hair)

The+dress+of+the+British+Sailor4.jpg

John Paul Jones

Pyrate Joe, there are a number of pictures posted on the forum, but you have to find the threads that contain them. Some of them are in the Sewing Room forum. (Not to get OT here, but a comment on searching. To search a particular forum - enter that forum and use the search function in the upper right hand corner of the main forum page. That will restrict your search to the forum which you are in.)

Two Sewing Room threads that have had recent discussions on how to make period clothing are Minimum Garb Standard and Common Sailor Clothes. There are some images in there, but that is not their primary focus. You might also look at Being a collection of art depicting period seamen. (I notice that topics such as this often start off being about a generic image holder thread and then wanders off into specifics. That's the nature of a forum though.)

There are literally dozens of such threads here in Captain Twill where you will find images. The trouble is finding those particular threads, of course. A few I found interesting were 'Slops' Not Period? and Dissecting the Pirate: 2 Guayacil. There are many, many more, although finding them is an exercise left to the student. ;)

As for websites, GOF would be a good place to start. Foxe's site has a nice image repository. Ivan Henry also has a decent collection sorted by century.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Pyrate Joe, there are a number of pictures posted on the forum, but you have to find the threads that contain them. Some of them are in the Sewing Room forum. (Not to get OT here, but a comment on searching. To search a particular forum - enter that forum and use the search function in the upper right hand corner of the main forum page. That will restrict your search to the forum which you are in.)

Two Sewing Room threads that have had recent discussions on how to make period clothing are Minimum Garb Standard and Common Sailor Clothes. There are some images in there, but that is not their primary focus. You might also look at Being a collection of art depicting period seamen. (I notice that topics such as this often start off being about a generic image holder thread and then wanders off into specifics. That's the nature of a forum though.)

There are literally dozens of such threads here in Captain Twill where you will find images. The trouble is finding those particular threads, of course. A few I found interesting were 'Slops' Not Period? and Dissecting the Pirate: 2 Guayacil. There are many, many more, although finding them is an exercise left to the student. ;)

As for websites, GOF would be a good place to start. Foxe's site has a nice image repository. Ivan Henry also has a decent collection sorted by century.

I am about to tell terrible truth that that Guayaquil pic is not from GAoP :( . Foxe has admitted it somewhere and there was some museum fail that happened. That pic is from 1760s or 1770s even wiki has got it right http://en.wikipedia....i/File:Guay.jpg and here http://jcb.lunaimagi...blisher%2CTitle and e.g. Woodes hairstyle is not from the period so artists did not know too well what things were like in Roger's time. Artwork describes Woodes Rogers and his men in 1709 but it is not too accurate or from that period but it is made in late 1760s so 50 after....

Also (sorry) Both Ivanhenry and Foxe's gallery have wrong dates for that Woodes pic... In Ivanhenry's site also this pic that makes pair with the another one is got a wrong date http://jcb.lunaimagi...2~2&mi=8&trs=28 but both sites are good since this is only error that I have found.

This leave us even less pictures from the period :(

but there is still some pics and pics from 1730s and 1740s are quite good source but when pic is 50 years ofperiod it is not good but it is still a little illustrative...

John Paul Jones

Maybe you should put together an image site since you seem to think you know so much about them. You can get free image space on dozens of photo websites and gather and post your idea of what images are correct.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Maybe you should put together an image site since you seem to think you know so much about them. You can get free image space on dozens of photo websites and gather and post your idea of what images are correct.

I hope that there were not sarcasm there

Perhaps but it is not just my believes of that Woode Rogers pic but it is the truth. Ask about Foxe if you need.

No bad feelings :lol::D

John Paul Jones

And those thinks like are 1730s pics good for GAoP are just my thoughts but picture's date is not my opinion but truth.

Still no bad feelings! :D:lol:B)

John Paul Jones

Point still being, you could easily set up a site. It would be but a small step from your some interesting pictures thread and would provide people like Pyrate Joe with the sort of info they want.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Point still being, you could easily set up a site. It would be but a small step from your some interesting pictures thread and would provide people like Pyrate Joe with the sort of info they want.

Perhaps since I know quite a bit of stuff and pictures.. Thanks for confidence. :lol:

John Paul Jones

Thanks to you all!

Regarding hair under wigs: most likely shorn quite short, or shaved, iirc. It helps keep down the vermin (lice and such). You could check with Betty Myers, Wigmaker of Williamsburg, for more accurate information. I believe she is on Facebook. Since CW tradesmen provide items for people at Jamestown and beyond, she probably has way more information than you need on the subject.

Jen

Wow, thank you guys for this wealth of information! Looks like I have got some reading to do. haha

Ahh...Sometimes I wish there weren't such a dichotomy between the Hollywood and the history... Oh well.

Thanks again!