Where is this story from?

Hi I have found this on the web and from books like in

"If a pirate I must be: the true story of Bartholomew Roberts, king of the Caribbean"

from google books

this Gaop Quote is here and it shows us how pirates would like to swagger with gentleman's clothes or in this case wig and powder... at least in drunk. ;)

one victim described what happened when pirates found his wig."I could not refrain laughing when I saw the fellows, for they had, in rummaging my cabin, met with a leather powder bag and puff, with which they had powdered themselves from head to foot, walked the decks with their hats under their arms, minced their oaths, and affected all the airs of a beau with an awkwardness that would have forced a smile from a cynic."

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

I read something like that in Pere Labat's book, the one I suggested to you before. (Not sure if it was that exact quote, though.)

Edit: A Google search turned something up: a reference to this quote from the (IMO) otherwise worthless book Sodomy and the Pirate Tradition by Richard Burg. Burg attributes the quote to a narrative written by a Captain John Evans (not the pirate, another captain John Evans apparently) in a 1728 account of his capture by pirates. A cursory search of my usual resources has failed to turn up any books by that person. Huh. Now I am curious to find it.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

It's a letter printed in the appendix to the second volume of Johnson's General History, relating Evans' capture by pirates commanded by Captain (not Walter) Kennedy, and formerly commanded by John Martel.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Edit: A Google search turned something up: a reference to this quote from the (IMO) otherwise worthless book Sodomy and the Pirate Tradition by Richard Burg. Burg attributes the quote to a narrative written by a Captain John Evans (not the pirate, another captain John Evans apparently) in a 1728 account of his capture by pirates. A cursory search of my usual resources has failed to turn up any books by that person. Huh. Now I am curious to find it.

Why is that book worthless?

John Paul Jones

Read it and find out. (The reason is stated by the author in the preface or one of the introductions.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

No reason not to believe the Evans letter. The stuff in the appendix is usually pretty good, and there's no reason to think that the letter isn't genuine.

Sodomy and the Pirate Tradition isn't worthless (even the worst books can be used to prop up wobbly tables), but it does start off with a fairly major agenda, which it supports by inaccurate premises (pirate ships were a bit like prisons, and we know that situational homosexuality occurs in prison therefore it must have done on pirate ships too - trouble is, pirate ships were not much like prisons) and a spectacular lack of evidence (the only actual evidence of pirate homosexuality Burg produced was a false accusation made against a buccaneer).

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

It's like listening to an opinionated reporter. Even though you know the reporter is opinionated, some of their ideas resonate and start to alter your perception of the truth.

Thus I consider it worthless and possibly damaging to whatever hopes I have of finding the truth. (Which I'll be the first to admit is impossible without a time machine, and even then would be colored by my perceptions.) So it sits on my shelves, not having been read past the statement he makes which basically says he didn't really find much evidence to support his premise, but was imagining what it must have been like. Meh.

Mission_banner5.JPG

No reason not to believe the Evans letter. The stuff in the appendix is usually pretty good, and there's no reason to think that the letter isn't genuine.

Sodomy and the Pirate Tradition isn't worthless (even the worst books can be used to prop up wobbly tables), but it does start off with a fairly major agenda, which it supports by inaccurate premises (pirate ships were a bit like prisons, and we know that situational homosexuality occurs in prison therefore it must have done on pirate ships too - trouble is, pirate ships were not much like prisons) and a spectacular lack of evidence (the only actual evidence of pirate homosexuality Burg produced was a false accusation made against a buccaneer).

Odd perspective that the there book has :wacko:....

This reminds me of rumors of Black bart as gay...... What are propably just rumor...

John Paul Jones