John Woodall's the surgions mate Available in pdf

Mission

One of my Pirate Surgeon Facebook fans, Jon Peterson, posted a link to a PDF of John Woodall's much coveted sea-surgeon manual the surgions mate. You'll find it at the Internet Archive here.

Although I don't claim to understand the complexities of publishing during this era (I would love to learn more about that as I mentioned when we were discussing it here a few months ago), I still maintain that the book would have been largely out of print by the GAoP. Its last edition was printed in 1655. It may still have been making it's way from ship to ship, as I imagine surgery manuals were dear, but 50 years... that's a long time.

Closer to period (and much easier to read) is John Moyle's book The Sea-Chirurgeon, which was first printed in 1693 and then again in 1703. Still, everyone hears about Woodall's book and thinks it must be pirate-correct. It is now yours for the asking. (Have fun reading it. Woodall's language, spelling and writing style are nothing short of arcane. ;) )

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Hi Mission have you seen this http://www.history.com/videos/special-true-caribbean-pirates---mistresses-of-the-sea#life-aboard-a-pirate-ship It is part if documentary (note that always in documetaries you need bit critisism :rolleyes: ) Oh and warning there is ads there....

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

The word here is linked to it in my first post. :)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Post here and let me know what you think of it. (It is honestly the most difficult period document I've ever read. It was a big part of what led me to write my page about how to write in 17th/18th century style.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

would you be kind enough to give us the down load for john moyle's the sea-chirurgeon???

The word here is linked to it in my first post. :)

Does the link also give access to Moyle's book The Sea-Chirugeon, or only Woodall's book The surgions mate?

If it does, I wasn't able to find it.

As far as I can tell, Moyle's book is only available in electronic version to members at some university libraries.

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

That link goes directly to the Woodall book. Moyle will undoubtedly pop up on the free books eventually. Universities are continuing to scan these books in and make them publicly available.

For now, you can order it off Amazon for a pretty reasonable price if you really want to read it. Or you can go to a university and get the pdf via their database access. I explain how I did that on this page.

Mission_banner5.JPG