Crosstaff

Does anyone know when did cross staff outdated? It was used (in my knowledge) around 14th century and 15th century and 16th century but I can see them still in 17th like in here

Buccaneers+1682.jpg

(Btw good source for pirate pets see the (though badly drawn) monkey))

88820018.jpg

and staff is still in 18th century like in here

I have always believed that they were replaced by the back staff from 1590s onwards? It seems that they were both in use during 17th century and 18th century but how common cross staff really was in gaop or later?

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

The cross-staff is mentioned in most navigational texts well into the 18th century. It was not as good as a back-staff but was considerably cheaper and more robust. There is fair evidence that the cross-staff was widely used by young officers like midshipmen and apprentices: see, for example, the second picture you posted or my signature quotation.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

The cross-staff is mentioned in most navigational texts well into the 18th century. It was not as good as a back-staff but was considerably cheaper and more robust. There is fair evidence that the cross-staff was widely used by young officers like midshipmen and apprentices: see, for example, the second picture you posted or my signature quotation.

Thanks nice quote....

What do you like my signature?

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

Who knew Jack knew how to navigate? Useful little monkey, that.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

<Mod> Moved your buccaneer illustration to "The Buccaneer Project" where it will get better attention</Mod>

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk