Sea-Captain Alexander Hamilton on Sea-Life & Piracy

Mission

Captain Alexander Hamilton (no, not the president) wrote a book of his exploits in the East Indies called A New Account of the East Indies in which he talks about pirates, although not by name as far as I've read. It covers his travels in the years 1683 to 1723. The books is kind of hard to find, so I thought I'd reprint some of the interesting stuff I come across that is relevant to our sport. The first is kind of funny, IMO. In fact it was partially quoted in a modern medical article on sea surgery and is what first led me to this book.

"There have been several Squadrons of British Men of War sent to cruize on the Pirates [on Madagascar], but have had very ill Success in finding them out, but one Scots Ship commanded by one Millar, did the Publick more Service in destroying them, than all the chargeable Squadrons that have been sent in Quest of them, for, with a Cargo of strong Ale and Brandy, which he carried to sell them, in Anno 1704 he killed above 500 of them by carousing, tho' they took his Ship and Cargo as a Present from him, and his men entred, most of them, into the Society of the Pirates." (Hamilton, p. 28)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

"It was reported in India, that Commodore Littleton had some of that Gang on board the Anglesey at Madagascar, but, for some valuable Reasons, he let them go again, and because they found Difficulty in cleaning the Bottoms of their large Ships, he generously assisted them with large Blocks and Tackle-falls for careening them. Whether these reports were true or false, I will not undertake to determine, but I saw a Pirate at Bengal, in the French Company's Service, that affirmed it.

Madagascar is invironed with Islands and dangerous Sholes, both of Rocks and Sand. St Mary's, on the East Side, is the Place where the Pirates first chose for their Asylum, having a good Harbour to secure them from the Weather, tho' in going in there are some Difficulties, but hearing that Squadrons of English Ships were come in Quest of them, they removed to the main Island for more Security, and there they have made themselves free Denizons by Marriage: And I am of the Opinion, that it will be no easy Matter to dispossess them In Anno 1722 Mr Matthews went in Quest of them, but found they had deserted the Island of St Mary's, leaving behind some Marks of their Robberies, for in some Places they found Pepper a Foot thick, lying on the Ground in the open Air. The

__

Commodore aforesaid went with his Squadron over to the main Island, but the Pirates had carried their Ships into Rivers or Creeks, out of Danger of the men of War, and to offer to burn them with their Boats, would have been impracticable, since they could have easily distressed the Boats Crews out of the Woods. The Commodore had some Discourse with some of them, but they stood on their Guard, ready to defend themselves, if any Violence had been offered them." (Hamilton, p. 28-9)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Here's one to set the heart cross-ways in ya'. I throwing some paragraph breaks in to make it a bit more readable.

"Their [the residents of Zuakin] Religion is still Paganism, tho' they don't worship Images. They shew outward Civility to Europeans, but kill them, and feast on their Flesh, when any are unfortunately shipwrack'd on their Coast. At first they shew a seeming Humanity, allowing them a convenient Place to lodge in, with Plenty of animal Food to eat, and sometimes entertain them with their Musick, and then destroy the fattest, as they have Occasion to feast on them, an Instance whereof I have from a Missionary at Mocha in Anno 1712, viz.

A Turkish Galley bound from Mossava to Judda in Arabia felix, had on board about 20 European Turks, and one Italian Priest, as Passenger; that Galley was drove ashore on the Coast of Zuakin by a Storm, the Galley was lost, but all the Men got safe ashore, and found the abovementioned Entertainment. They had not been long ashore, till some People of Distinction visited them, and seemed to condole their Misfortune, but withal, told them in Arabick, that the King had a great Desire to see some of them, and they chose the youngest and plumpest of the Turks to shew to the King, who very willingly went away with them, but none came back to bring News how they were entertained at Court,

and every fourth or fifth Day, another of the best favoured and best fleshed were carried from their Comrades, on the same, or such like Errand till near one Half were carried away, those that remained had no Suspicion, but were lulled asleep by the good Words,

__

and good Treatment they received daily. But one Day, an Abasine, who had fled his Country for some Misdemeanour, came to visit them, and, in Discourse, they told him how courteously they had been entertained by the hospitable Natives, and how many of their Company had gone to the King, but that none returned. The Abasine told them, that they were treated after the common Custom of that Country, that when any white Men were shipwrack'd on their Coast, they found such Treatment as they had, to make them fat, and the to kill and eat them, by cutting such Morsels of the Body as they had present Occasion for, and kept Life as long in the poor Victim as they could,

and that very Morning a Janisary [Footnote 19: Janissaries were Turkish soldiers, recruited when boys from Christian communities and brought up as Muslims. They were trained as the elite troops of the Ottoman Army.] had been carried on the aforesaid Errand, and had one Leg cut off, and the Half of a Thigh, and he saw them rosting and broiling the Flesh as he happened to pass in his Way to visit them, and told the disconsolate Turks that remained, that if one or two would accompany him a little Way in the Evening, he would convince them of the Truth of what he had told them, but they must immediately after return to their Lodging,

The Priest was one that went to behold the sad Spectacle, whom they found not quite dead, tho speechless, on which the Abasine went speedily away, as the others did to acquaint their Fellows of what they had seen. As soon as they made their Report, they were under the greatest Consternation, and unanimously resolved to flee to the Woods that very same Night, and trust the wild Inhabitants rather than the crueller Beasts, the Zuakins." (Hamilton, p. 38-9)

Mission_banner5.JPG

(no, not the president)

Do ye mean the American Secretary of Treasury Alexander Hamilton? He was never president of the United States...

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Really? I'd have voted for him. He has all those green handbills out there with his picture on 'em...

Mission_banner5.JPG

Here's a story of pirates from the annals of the East India company... (Some paragraph breaks were inserted for readability.)

"...in Anno 1720 when two of our East-India Ships were watering there [Johanna], with and Ostend Ship in their Company; they agreed to stand by one another ins case of Assaults, or engaging with the common Enemy, but when two Pirates drew near, the Greenwich and Ostender weighed, and stood to Sea, and left the Cassandra to shift for her self, who was obliged to engage the smallest Pirate (being a Ship of 24 Guns, Dutch-built) in the Bay, and soon after they began, the Cassandra ran aground on some Rocks, and the Pirate striving to board her, was also taken up by some Rocks, not above 20 Yards from the Cassandra. The Pirate's Head lay towards the Cassandra's Broadside, and they pelted one another furiously, many falling on both Sides, but the Pirates, finding too hot Work on their Decks, were forced to quit them, and run down into the Hold for Shelter.

Captain Mackraw, who commanded the Cassandra, seeing the other Pirate approach near him, and manning all his Boats to reinforce his Comrade, thought it a good Time for him, and who else could get ashore, to embrace the Opportunity, and accordingly they got into their Boats, and saved their Lives. The Inhabitants showed much Humanity to the Distressed, and carried them above a Dozen of Miles up in the Country, for Fear the Pirates, in their made Fury, should have murdered the poor Men that escaped from their Ship.

The Pirates, soon after they had Possession of the Cassandra, got her aflote again, she having received little or no Damage; they also got their own Ship off, but she was

__

very much shattered, and disabled in her Masts.

Captain Mackraw, being a Gentleman that was well versed in Conversation with men of any Temper, ventured on board the Pirates, and they were so much taken with his Address, that they made him a Present of that Ship which he had so bravely battered, to carry him and his Crew to India; in the mean while, the Greenwich came to Bombay in September, who brought the Account of the loss of the Cassendra, and in November, Captain Mackraw arrived himself with his new Ship, and his Ship's Company all in Rags, but were soon equipp'd by the Benevolence and Generosity of the Governor Mr Boone [Footnote 16: Charles Boone, President and Governor of Bombay from 1715-22. One of the few energetic and honest officials of the [East India] Company.] who was a Gentleman of as much Honour and good Sense, as any that ever sat in that Chair." (Hamilton, p. 30-1)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Ah, thanks for reminding me, Captain Jim! I meant to post one yesterday and forgot because I was busy and this top had fallen off the current list. I found this one interesting because of the amount of effort Avery's pirates seem to have expended to create their little paradise.

“The Pirates, for many Years, infested the Mouth of the Red Sea, committing frequent Robberies and Barbarities. Captain Evory was the first that led the Way in Anno 1695 and the Pirates finding great Booties, purchased with small Danger

__

from the Traders into the Red Sea, had a Project to be Masters of the Key of that Door, so they found the Island Prim, which lies within Gun-shot of Babelmandel, to have a good commodious Bay for the Security of their Shipping; upon which Consideration, they began to build regular Fortifications, and dig for fresh Water, and, with much Labour, they dug thro’ an hard Rock, 15 Fathoms deep, but found none, but brakish Water, wherefore they desisted, and removed to St Mary’s Island, on the East Side of Madascar, as I observed before, and are since removed, for more Security, over to the main Island, and there they fortify themselves by Marriages into noble Families of that great Island, from whence they come into India, and cruise in those Seas.

In Anno 1696 they met with a Ship from Bombay, commanded by one Sawbridge, who was carrying Arabian horses for Surat. After they took the Ship, Sawbridge began to expostulate with them about their Way of Life. They ordered him to hold his Tongue, but he continuing his Discourse, they took a Sail-needle and Twine, sewed his Lips together, and so kept him several Hours, with his Hands tied behind him. At length they unloosed both his Hands and Lips, and carried him on board their Ship, and, after they had plundred Sawbridge’s Ship, they set her on Fire, and burned her and the Horses together. Sawbridge and his People were set ashore near Aden, where he died presently after.

Captain Evory was not so inhumane; for the Year before, he took a large Ship belonging to the Mogul, and got a Booty of 2,600,000 Rupees, which amount to, in Sterling Money, about 325,000 Pounds. He freed the Ship, and let her go, without torturing the People, but carried a young Mogul Lady with him, and some of her female Servants, who had been at Mecca to perform a Vow, laid on her by her Mother on her Death-bed.” (Hamilton, p. 50-1)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Editorial note:

I wonder how accurate this account is. Every and his men were anchored of 'prim' (or Liparan, or Bob's Key, or Perim these days) for about seven weeks altogether, so would have had time to dig a ninety foot well through hard rock, and they certainly had the manpower available. However, they were lying there waiting for the Pilgrim Fleet from Mocha to pass, and were daily expecting it, so whether they would have bothered to dig that deep is questionable. Of course, they needed to maintain their stocks of fresh water, but there were other sources available.

Either way, Every did not go to St. Mary's Island, did not capture Sawbridge's ship, did torture people on the Gunsway, and didn't take a young Mogul woman or her servants on his ship...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

The editors cite several other inaccuracies in the book, so it could all just be heresay. Hamilton wrote the book quite some time after the events in it took place so he may also have his facts confused. (For my notes, I read these books to find reference to medicine, food and medical problems that occurred during voyages such as illnesses, wounds and other issues. However, some of the stories are pretty entertaining, so I am reprinting them here.)

Who did capture Sawbridge's ship?

Mission_banner5.JPG

I can't recall off the top of my head, but it wasn't Every.

Hamilton was actually mixed up indirectly in Every's story. When the Mogul Aurangzeb heard about Every's capture of the Gang i Sawai he took resprisals against the East India Company and imprisoned the EIC staff at Surat in their own factory (headquarters/warehouse) for several months. Hamilton was not actually an employee of the Company, but got swept up with every other Englishman and imprisoned with them. Samuel Annesley, the EIC factor in Surat and senior man during their incarceration had terrible trouble with Hamilton and his letters are full of complaints about him.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I'd be interested to learn who captured Sawbridge's ship.

Curiously, Hamilton does not seem like much of a whiner. You want a significant degree of whining in a Journal, check out Edward Barlow! Jeez that man could complain! (Made for great fodder in my historical presentation when I was explaining how challenging the merchant sailor's life was, though. ;) )

Mission_banner5.JPG

Since you press me, Sawbridge's ship was captured by John Hoar. However, his ship's doctor, Henry Watson, wrote a long and detailed report to the EIC about the incident and his subsequent incarceration, but didn't mention the lip stitching and claimed to have been treated very couteously by the pirates, so Hamilton's in doubt again.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Thank you for finding that! (Now I want to see if I can find Henry Watson's report - he's a ship's surgeon!) As I said, the editors site several historical accuracies, usually in Hamilton's second-hand histories, so you are likely correct.

“The Reason of so intense Heats proceeds from the Nearness of the Sun in these Months [May – September in Muskat], who sends his Beams almost perpendicularly down on the Sides of the Mountains, which being all naked, and nothing but an hard black Rock appearing, the Sun heats them to such a Degree, that between 10 and 11 in the Forenoon, I have seen the Slaves rost Fish on them. And the Horses and Cattle, who are accustomed to that Food, come daily, of their own Accord, to be served their Allowance, and when they have breakfasted, retire again to Shades built for them; and yet their Beef and Mutton, that are partly nourished by that Sort of Food, have not the least Savor of Fish.

And the Reason why Fishes are so plentiful and cheap in the Markets, is by the easy and odd Way they have in

__

catching them, or rather conjuring of them, for I have seen a Man and two Boys catch a Tun weight in an Hour or two. The Man stands on a Rock, where the Sea is pretty deep near it, and calls Tall, tall [Footnote 35: The fisherman’s call is the Arabic, ‘ta’al, ta’al’ meaning ‘come, come’.], for a Minute or two, and the Fish come swarming about the Rock. The two Boys, in a little Boat, shut them in with a Net about 20 or 30 Yards long, and 3 or 4 deep, and, drawing the Net near the Rock, keep all in, and, when People come for the Fish, he asks them what Sorts they want, and puts an Hoop-net, fixed to the End of a Pole, into the Water, and serves every Body with what Kind they ask for, and when he has done, he hales out his Net, and give the rest their Liberty.” (Hamilton, p. 68-9)

Mission_banner5.JPG

I love the internet. The whole thing is on-line. I am putting in paragraph breaks to make it more readable. (The Ruparel was Sawbridge's ship.)

"Narrative of Mr. Henry Watson, who was taken "prisoner by the pirates, 15 August, 1696."

On 14 August, 1696, I embarked on board the ship Ruparrel, bound to Bombay, having freighted on her thirty-five bales of coffee, etc., and other goods on the Calicut, merchant, which was to sail in her company.

On 15 August both ships were taken by a pirate which came out of the Babs. It was proposed to the Captain of the Ruparrel that she should be redeemed at Aden for 35,000 pieces of eight, and it was so agreed upon, though I advised to the contrary, because neither he nor his owners had ever been or had any correspondents at Aden; hence they could not expect the money to be provided and the Governor would be greatly to blame if he permitted it to come on board, this being the best way to spoil the trade of the port, encourage pirates to use these seas, and so to ruin the traffic of Mocha, Aden, etc. However, the ship was brought to Aden, when a native merchant and another young merchant-freighter (upon whose credit the money was apparently to be procured) were sent ashore, but after staying two days there was no sign of their getting the money or of their coming off themselves.

On the third day the Captain was sent ashore with some lascars [indian sailor or militiaman] to hasten off the money, lest the pirates should burn the ships, as they threatened to do. That night two fires were seen ashore, which were supposed to be the two boats, and next morning a shot was fired as a signal that the ship would not be redeemed. Thereupon they fell again to plundering the ship, which I thought had been effectually done before.

On 22 August about eleven o'clock the ships were set on fire in sight of the people of Aden, first the Calicut, then the Ruparrel with the English ensign flying. The lascars were sent away on floats, and the mate, gunner and myself were carried on board the pirate-ship, which was a prize taken from the French, formerly called the St. Paul, but now the John and Rebecca. The master of the Calicut proposed to them to plunder Congo in Persia, and they accordingly proceeded on the voyage.

On the 22nd September we arrived at Tompo, called by the pirates Antelope Island from the great number of antelopes there, from whence they sent their boats to view Congo; but learning from two fishing-boats, captured in the night, that six Portuguese men-of-war were lying there, they resolved to stay a while in the hope that these might depart shortly. They careened their ship and killed great quantities of antelopes, until being weary of that kind of flesh and having nothing but stinking beef and doughboys (that is dough made into a lump and boiled) they weighed anchor on 16 October and came down again to Cape Mussington. There they plundered a small fishing town and got good store of dates and salt fish, but returning on the 20th they saw four Dutch ships and fled for fear of them into Cape Mussington, turning up next day towards the Island aforesaid. Off Hisnies they took a Frank, that told them of two great ships, supposed to be English from Europe, at Gambroon, which scared them not a little.

On the 22nd they arrived again at Tompo and on the 25th sent boats to view another island up the Gulf. These had not been long gone before a boat was seen to come and view the ship, which they suspected to be a spy from Congo, as she in reality was. That night the mates and gunners of the Calicut and Ruparrel contrived to escape in a small boat, which made them think their designs frustrated. Thereupon they called for me and threatened to make me fast [tie him up, I believe] and beat me, and afterwards turn me on shore naked on a bare rock, or maroon-key as they called it, without food, wood or water. I told them that they knew my daily solicitation to them to be put on shore, that I knew nothing of these men's going or I should certainly have escaped with them. This abated their rigour and villainous design against me. They would have weighed and gone away that night but for their unwillingness to leave behind them their boats and men, which came not back till the 30th.

During my residence with them they were very kind to me in giving me my clothes again, with leave to sell them. Afterwards they put it to the vote whether I should bring the money or not, and at about one o'clock they gave me a boat and ten Arabs, whom, knowing something of their language, I persuaded to carry me to Gomron, where the East India Company has a factory. I landed there at sunrise on 2 November, and found the four escaped men already there.

During my residence with the pirates, whose chief rendezvous is at an island called St. Mary's near Madagascar, I understood they were supplied with ammunition and all sorts of necessaries by one Captain Baldridge and Lawrence Johnston, two old pirates that are settled in the above islands, and are factors for one Frederick Phillips, who under pretence of trading to Madagascar for negro slaves, supplies these rogues with all sorts of stores, consigning them to Baldridge and Johnston. These two are both of them married to country women, and many of the others are married at Madagascar. They have a kind of fortification of seven or eight guns upon St. Mary's. Their design in marrying the country women is to ingratiate themselves with the inhabitants, with whom they go into war against other petty kings. If one Englishman goes with the Prince with whom he lives to war, he has half the slaves that are taken for his pains.

I have often heard the commander and many of his men say that he took the ship from the French near the river of Canada, and that they had a commission from the Governor of New York to take the French. They fitted their ship from Rhode Island, and the then Governor of New York knew their designs as also the Governor of Rhode Island. Another pirate-ship of equal burden was fitted out there at the same time with this, which Hore commands. The Captain of the other ship is Richard Glover, brother-in-law to Hore. He also was in the Gulf of Mocha to leeward of us when I was taken by Hore, and came on board to see us prisoners and to filch what they could from our ships, knowing from us that no more ships would come from Mocha. Glover would have persuaded Hore to return to Mocha, burn the ships in the port and plunder the town, to which Hore complied not; so she remained in the Gulf, and what is become of her since I know not."

Mission_banner5.JPG

“…I knew the Custom, not to appear before great Men with an empty Hand. I desired Leave to lay a little Present at his [the nabob of the city of Tatta] Feet, which he permitted. It consisted of a Looking-glass of about 5 Pounds in Value, a Gun and a Pair of Pistols well gilded, a Sabre Blade and Dagger-blade gilded, and a Glass Pipe for his Tobacco, and an embroider’d Standish for it to stand in. He then sent for all who had accompanied me into the Room, and shewed the Present I had made him, magnifying every Piece of it, and after some Encomiums on my Valour and Generosity, told me, that I was a free Denison of Tatta, with the Addition of an Indulgence of being free of all Custom and Tax on all Goods that I had brought or should export, and that whoever bought any Part of my Cargo, and did not pay according to the Agreement made for Payment, I should not be liable to seek Justice at the Cadjee’s Court, but to imprison my Debtors, and if that would not perswade them to give Satisfaction, he would sell their Wives, Children or nearest relations to make good their Deal.” (Hamilton, p. 110-1)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Here's a quote I liked primarily for the comment on the corrosiveness of the water. :lol:

“…in August there come a Stink from it [north of Gombroon], that is as detestable as the Smell of dead Animals on the Land, and vast Quantities of small Shell Fish are thrown on the Shore by the Surges of the Sea; from them I judge the intolerable Stink proceeds. It tarnishes Gold and Silver, as bad as the bilge Water of a tight Ship.” (Hamilton, p. 90)

Here is a long one about the local Indian pirates that attacked the Phenix, Hamilton's ship the Morning Star and another ship, the Thomas. I have again inserted some paragraph breaks for easier reading.

"I had several Skirmishes with them [the Sanganians, pirates out of Baet]. They, being confident of Their numbers, strive to board all Ships they can come at by sailing, Before they engage in a fight, they drink Bang, which is made of a Seed like Hemp-seed, that has an intoxicating Quality, and, whilst it affects the Head, they are furious. They wear long Hair, and, when they let that hang loose, they'll give no Quarter.

In Anno 1686 a small Ship of theirs, that mounted 8 Guns, and mann'd with 300 of those furious Fellows, was cruizing on the Coast of India, between Surat and Bombay, and the Phenix, an English Man of War of 42 Guns, was bound for Surat. The Sanganian made towards her, and engaged her, but would fain have been gone again when they found their Mistake, but that was impossible. The Phenix sent her Boats, well mann'd, to try if they could make them yield, in order to save their Lives, but they scorned Quarter, and killed and wounded many of the English, so that Captain Tyrrel, who commanded the Phenix, was forced to run his

__

lower Teer out, and sink them. And, after their Ship was sunk, and the Miscreants set a swimming, yet most of them refused Quarter, and only about 70 were taken alive. (I believe Sir George Bing can give a better Account of the Story than I, for, if I mistake not, he was a Lieutenant then on board the Phenix, and received a Commission, did.)

In Anno 1717 they attackt a Ship called the Morning Star in her Passage between Gombroon and Surat. She was richly Aden, which they were appraised of, and two Squadrons were fitted out from two different Ports, to waylay her, and accordingly she fell in with eight Sail of those Pirates. One was a large Ship of near 500 Tuns, and three others were Ships between 2 and 300 Tuns, and the other four were Grabs, or Gallies, and Sheybars, or half Gallies. They reckoned in all there were above 2,000 Men, who were resolved to trust Providence, and fight for their Lives, Liberty and Estate.

The first attack was by the greatest Ship alone, but was soon obliged to sheer off again, with the Loss of some Men, and the Captain of the Morning Star was wounded in the Thigh, by a Lance darted at him, that pierced his Thigh through and through [Footnote 69: Hamilton plays down his own part. He was Captain and owner of the Morning Star and it was he who was wounded during a most spirited defence.]

The Pirates were not discouraged by this first Repulse, but joyned their Forces and Counsels together, and, after a Day's Respite and Consultation, they attackt the Morning Star a second Time, the two largest Ships boarding, one on her Bow, and another on her Quarter, and three more boarded them two, and entred their Men over them. The Combat was warm for above four Hours, and the Morning Star had seven killed, and as many wounded; but kind Providence assisted her. Whilst she was on Fire in three Places, and had burnt through her Poop and half Deck, she was disengaged of them, and left five of the largest so entangled with on another, that they could not pursue her.

So she pursued her Voyage to Surat, but having no Surgeon on board, she called at

__

Bombay, to get her wounded Men drest and cured. In the Time of the Combat, while the Pirates were on board of the Morning Star, twenty one Indian Seamen went on board of them, and twenty six Merchants had gone to them, to try if they could perswade them to take a Sum, and not put it on the Hazard of Battle. All those they detained, and carried along with them, and made them pay above 6,000 Pounds for their Ransom, who gave an Account afterwards of great Slaughter done on the Pirates. And the Commodore lost his Head as soon as he landed, for letting so rich a Prize go out of his Hands.

In Anno 1698 one Captain Lavender, in the Ship Thomas, bound from Surat to Mocha encountred four Sail of those Freebooters, and fought them bravely; but they burnt the Ship and all her Crew, because he would not yield. They are very cruel to those they can master, if they make Resistance; but to those that yield without fighting, they are pretty civil." (Hamilton, p. 120-2)

Mission_banner5.JPG

"[in Surat] their Burials are quite different, for they enclose a small Piece of Ground, with a Wall about 4 Yards high, and place several Benches for the Corps to sit on, that the four Elements may each have a Share of the Matter their Bodies are composed of. The Sun or Fire exhales the putrid Effluvias. The Water or Rain carries the putrified Flesh and the Bones to the Earth, that gives Burial to them, and the voracious Fowls carry what they can pick into the Air in their Maws. They watch the Corps all Day, till one of the Eyes is pickt out. If the Bird begins with the right Eye, they rejoyce and feast, but if with the left Eye, they mourn and lament for the ill Fortune of the Defunct's Soul, for they attribute future Happiness to the right Eye, and Misery to the left. They build these Charnel Places far from the Town or Village, lest the Stink should annoy them." (Hamilton, p. 143)

Yeah, that would be annoying...

“There are three Species of Tigers in Carwar Woods. The smallest is the fiercest. It is not above two Foot high when it walks. It is very cunning, and delights much in human Flesh. The second Sort is about three Foot high, and hunts Deer and wild Hog, and little Creature called a Pissay [Footnote 174: The little creature described is the Mouse Deer. The Marathi called it Pissay.] Its Body has the Shape of a Deer’s, but its Head like a swine; and, as a Boar has two long Tusks growing downwards from the upper Jaw, and reach as low as the under Part of the lower Jaw. They are very harmless and fearful, and feed on Grass and Herbs. They are hardly so big as a full grown Cat, and their Flesh is black, and tastes like an Hare’s.

231.jpg

The largest Size of the Tigers is above three Foot and than half high, when they walk. They are less rapacious than the others, seldom greedy of human Flesh, and sooner frightned. A poor Peasant in this Country had a Buffalo bemired in a Bog, and while he went to his Neighbours for Assistance, came a large Tiger that saved them the Trouble, for he pulled it out by his own Dexterity and Strength, and, when he had done, threw him over his Shoulder, as a Fox does a Goose, and was carrying it, with its Feet upwards, to his Den, but, when he saw the People, he let it fall, and went away; but he had killed the Buffalo, and had suckt his Blood. ‘Tis a small Buffalo that weighs not above 500 lb. Weight, and some weigh 1200.” (Hamilton, p. 223)

How could you not love a mouse deer?

Mission_banner5.JPG

“…I was making to wards the Plain where our Factory stands, and falling on a Foot-path from the Mountains towards the Plain, I kept in that Road, and had not gone far, till I espied a Tiger of the largest Size standing in the same Path, with his Face towards me. As soon as he saw me, he squatted his Belly to the Ground, and wagged his Tail, and crawled slowly towards

__

me. I thought it would be in vain to flee, so I stept leisurely forward, till I cam within ten Yards of him, I then clubbed my Fuzee, and made what Noise I could to frighten him, and he, out of Civility, rusht amongst the Thicket of Bushes, and left me the Road, which I did not think fit to accept of, but got in among the Bushes on the opposite Side to him (I dare say) much more frightned than he was. And, before I got to the Plain, I saw a wild Bull and a Cow grazing. The Bull grew angry, and snorted, but the Cow only gazed on me, but I soon got out of their Sight, and got safe to the Factory, but never went into the Woods again, but with a numerous Company.” (Hamilton, p. 223-4)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Here's a fun story for one and all.

“In Anno 1668 the Prince came into the Dutch Fort [at Cannanore] to pay a Compliment to the Captain. He had brought about 50 Attendants with him. While the Prince was complimenting the Captain, the Malabars took the Opportunity of the Dutch Security and killed the Sentinel at the Gate; but the Dutch Soldiers being all in their Barracks, and their Arms ready, made a seasonable Sally, and drove the Malabars out, with the Loss of twenty of their Number; and the Dutch shut their Gate.

The Fort is large, and the Governor’s Lodgings at a good Distance from the Gate, so that the Fray was over before either the Prince or the Dutch Captain knew any Thing of the Matter; and an Officer bringing News, the Prince ordered a Search to be made for the Ringleader, and being found, he sentenced him to be smeared over with Hony, and made fast to a cocoa-nut Tree in the Sun till he died. Next Morning the Sentence was put in Execution. These Cocoa-nut Trees producing a sweet Liquor called Toddy, bring vast Numbers of Wasps and large

__

red Ants to drink the Liquor. Those Ants bite as painfully as the Stinging of Wasps. When the Sun begins to be hot, they leave the Top of the Tree, and burrow in Holes about the Root. In their Passage downward they fixt on the Carcase besmeared with Hony, and soon burrowed in the Flesh. The poor Miscreant was three Days in that sensible Torment before he expired. The Dutch Captain begged every Day for Pardon, or at least for a milder and quicker Death, but the Prince was inexorable.” (Hamilton, p. 243-4)

Mission_banner5.JPG

In case you ever need to know how to do this, here are the instructions.

“The Way they catch them, as they told me, is, they drive large Stakes into the Ground for 2 or 300 Paces, in a Plain, and, about 100 Paces distant, they begin another row of Stakes, that almost meets one of the ends of the first Row, only having 7 or 8 Foot open between them, for a Door, and farther out from the Door-place is a wooden Porticullice or Trap-door, fitted to pull up or let down at Pleasure.

When all is ready, they bring a female Elephant trained up for a Decoy, and she is put into the Chamber, and the Trap-door kept open. There are Men placed in a little close Place built on the Top of the Stakes at the Trap-door, and the female Elephant makes a loud doleful Mone. If a male Elephant is near, he presently approaches the Chamber, on the Outside, but finding no Entrance there, he walks along the Outside, till he finds the End, then walking back on the Inside of the Stakes, he finds the Door, and enters.

As soon as he is in, the Watchmen let fall the Trap-door, and go and bring two tame Elephants to accompany him that is decoyed to their Stables. When they come near the Trap-door, it is pulled up and they enter, and place themselves on each Side. If he proves surly, they bang him heartily with their Trunks, and the Female bestows some Blows on him too. When he is tired with their Treatment, and finds no other Remedy but Patience, he even grows tame, and walks very orderly between his two Guards, withersoever they please to conduct him, and continues very sociable ever after, except when Rutting Time comes, and then, if he be young, he becomes very rude and troublesom. That Time is known by a great Sweating in his Head, so they have strong Fetters ready to put on his Legs, and fastned to a great Tree for eight or ten Days that his Madness continues.” (Hamilton, p. 281)

Mission_banner5.JPG

You just can't make stuff this good up...

“The People about Ballasore [baleshwar] have one particular Custom that I never heard of in any other Country, viz. they take a Piece of soft Clay, and make it in the Form of a large Suppository, and they harden it in the Sun, till it comes to the Consistence of soft Wax, and, when they think it fit for Use, they put it into the right Intestine, Immediately after Exoneration. This, they alledge, keeps them cool, tho’, after it has been in Use a Day and a Night, it becomes hard, but every Morning they have a new one ready for Use.

There is a Report current among the English in India, that the old East-india company desired one Captain Goodlad, who was going in their Service Commander of a Ship to Bengal, that he would bring them Home some Indian Rarity that had never been seen in England before. And being lodged in the Factory at Ballasore, looking out his Window one Morning, he saw some of the People making Use of their Suppositories, and leaving the old hard bak’d ones behind them. [Ha ha.]

He immediately bethought himself of the Commission he had from his Masters, and judged that they might be Rarities never seen in Europe before, and ordered a small keg to be filled with them. When he brought them to England, they

__

proved to be such as they had never seen. Some Gentleman, more curious than the rest, scrapt some of them to try the Taste, but they still continued in the Dark, till the comical Captain gave them an Account of their Use and Virtue. [Footnote 228: Between 1667 and 1687, there were five Goodlads commanding Company ships. This humorist may have been William Goodlad who was at Barsalore in 1672.]” (Hamilton, p. 322)

Mission_banner5.JPG

“The Women [in Pegu – a District of Myanmar] are much whiter than the Men, and have generally pretty plump Faces, but of small Stature, yet very well shap’d their Hands and Feet small, and their Arms and Legs well proportioned. Their Headdress is their own black Hair tied up behind, and when they go abroad, they wear a Shaul folded up, or a Piece of White Cotton Cloth lying loose on the Top of their Heads. Their bodily Garb is a Frock of Cotton Cloth or Silk, made meeting for their Bodies, and the Arms of their Frock stretcht close on the Arm, the lower Part of the Frock reaching Half-thigh down. Under the Frock they have a Scarf of Lungee [long piece of cotton cloth] doubled fourfold, made fast about their Middle, which reaches almost to the Ancle, so contrived, that at every Stop they make, as they walk, it opens before, and shews the right Leg and Part of the Thigh.

This Fashion of Petticoats, they say, is very ancient, and was first contrived by a certain Queen of that Country, who was grieved to see the Men so much addicted to Sodomy, that they neglected the pretty Ladies. She thought that by the Sight of a pretty Leg and plumb Thigh, the Men might be allured from that abominable Custom, and place their Affections on proper Objects, and according to the ingenious Queen’s Conjecture, that Dress of the Lungee had its desired End, and now the Name of Sodomy is hardly known in that Country.

The Women are very courteous and kind to Strangers, and are very fond of marrying with Europeans, and most Part of the Strangers who trade thither, marry a Wife for the Term they stay. The Ceremony is, (after the Parties are agreed) for the Bride’s Parents or nearest Friends or Relations, to make a Feast, the Parent or Brideman, asketh them both before the Company, if they are content to cohabit together

__

as Man and Wife, and both declaring their Consent, they are declared by the Person or Friend to be lawfully married, and if the Bridegroom has an House, he carries her thither, but if not, they have a Bed provided in the House where they are married, and are left to their own Discretion how to pass away the Night.

They prove obedient and obliging Wives, and take the Management of Affairs within Doors wholly in their own Hands. She goes to Market for Food, and acts the Cook in dressing his Victuals, takes Care of his Clothes, in washing and mending them; if their Husbands have any Goods to sell, they set up a Shop and sell them by Retail, to a much better Account then they could be sold for by Wholesale, and some of them carry a Cargo of Goods to the inland Towns, and barter for Goods proper for the foreign Markets that their Husbands are bound to, and generally bring fair Accounts of their Negotiations. If she proves false to her Husband’s Bed, and on fair Proof convicted, her Husband may carry her to the Rounday [Court], and have her Hair cut, and sold for a Slave, and he may have the Money but if the Husband goes astray, she’ll be apt to give him a gentle Dose [of poison], to send him to the other World a Sacrifice to her Resentment.

If she proves prolifick, the Children cannot be carried out of the Kingdom without the King’s Permission, but that may be purchased for 40 or 50 L. Sterl. and if an irreconcilable Quarrel happen where there are Children, the Father is obliged to take Care of the Boys, and the Mother of the Girls. If a Husband is content to continue the Marriage, whilst he goes to foreign Countries about his Affairs, he must leave some Fund to pay her about six Shillings eight Pence per Month, otherwise at the Year’s End she may marry again, but if that Sum is paid her on his Account, she is obliged to stay the Term of three Years, and she is never the worse, but rather the better lookt on, that she has been married to several European Husbands.” (Hamilton, p. 359-60)

Mission_banner5.JPG