Elements of natural history and chemistry, 1789

Capt. Trueblood

I know, it's OOP. But, I thought it might be a good reference for all those Barber-Surgeons out there.

http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

I also found a collection of Cooking and Medicinal Recipe manuscripts in the collection of the Wellcome Museum in London

http://archives.wellcome.ac.uk/DServe/dserve.exe?dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=Overview.tcl&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqSearch=%28%28%28text%29%3D%27recipe%20books%20project%27%29AND%28Level%3D%27item%27%29%29&dsqPos=0&dsqNum=50&PF=No

Edited by Capt. Trueblood

Capt. Jacobus Trueblood

The Sloop Adventure

"The tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil."

Very good for reference! Thank you very much! I bookmarked one, the other looks... strange, I mean I don;t know how to download it/ read it.

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

Given how much things were changing in medicine and science during the 16th and 17th centuries, I'd recommend that GAoP surgeons actually pass on that if they are striving for period accuracy. Just by way of one example, Lind published the cure for scurvy in 1753 - which would have had a huge impact on the practice of the sea surgeon. This book was published decades after that.

I am waiting for U of M to finally scan Woodall's book in. They have it, they just haven't gotten to it yet.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

True, however I found it's value in the Names and Descriptions of various things.

In researching old recipes, I have found numerous terms which were no longer used and this document sheds light on some of those.

It seemed to me to be a good reference for terminology, if nothing else.

Most of the documents in the Second Link are period, or earlier. However, being hand-written, are a bit challenging of a read.

Capt. Jacobus Trueblood

The Sloop Adventure

"The tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil."

Ah, yes. I see what you mean. This would be a wonderful resource for someone doing an Apothecary impression.

I find a good Pharmacopoeia is very useful for translating period medicine recipes (or 'receipts'). There are several out there, I happen to use this one. It doesn't lay the preparations out like the one you reference, but it will get you most of the info you need. It's also alphabetized giving medicine names in Latin as the medicines were. Medicine recipes were still rather jealously guarded and they were labeled in the original Latin by apothecaries. Because of this a good Latin to English dictionary can also be useful at times. You'll find several of those on-line as well.That Pharmacopoeia I linked to also has a nice summary of abbreviations at the beginning, although I find, like the language of the surgical manuals themselves, the abbreviations tend to be quite varied. There are still recipe ingredients that I have not been able to translate with it.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

PoD just sent me a link to a similar book - The Dispensatory of the Royal College of Physicians, 2nd ed. by John Quincy, 1727. It has a cross-linked index at the end as well. You can check it out here.

Mission_banner5.JPG

I know, it's OOP. But, I thought it might be a good reference for all those Barber-Surgeons out there.

http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

I also found a collection of Cooking and Medicinal Recipe manuscripts in the collection of the Wellcome Museum in London

http://archives.well...dsqNum=50&PF=No

Excellent links Capt T.

Re: "OOP" ...The writings by De Fourcroy are showing up on Amazon & eBay. Are we looking at something different?

The Internet is keeping us spoiled. We haven't been to a brick & mortar library in years.