Buccaneer Era Women.

Patrick Hand

OK... I'm getting ready for PiP... I just have a few things that I have to fix for my male Buccaneer stuff, but I also have to make and dress two women by then.

The Time period that I will be working on is 1669, I know Port Royal would have pretty much any clothing that was available in England at the time.

So far I have found a few pictures from before the time period, and after.... So I have a kinda-sorta idea... but more and better information would help.

It would be helpful if someone that has already found a site could post it, so I can spend more time actually making the clothing than surfing the web looking for pictures and discriptions.....

I've been giving this a lot of thought as well lately, not so much for PiP, but to help improve the wife's early portrayal for Searle's Raid (1668) this coming March. Remarkably the Wikipedia entry for 1650 - 1700 Fashion has a decent collection of images. Based on those images (and others from too many online sources to cite right now), it seems as if the bodiced gown is the most appropriate item of women's clothing for the 1660s. Some images still show the late English Civil womens coat and petticotes, but those seem to be less used by the 1660s.

For those who may ask, the only commercial pattern for the bodiced gown is the Reconstructing History one (that I am aware of). It is not the most user friendly pattern, and from a more technical standpoint, if I was to use it for 1660s I would likely lengthen the sleeve, and add some fullness to it. For the bold, there is a 1660s bodiced gown pattern in the Janet Arnold book, Patterns Of Fashion 1660-1860... But of course one needs to know how to scale and fit patterns to go that route.

If anyone has any leads or specific information to Spanish women's clothing for that era, I would hugely be interested.

Michael_banner.jpg

OK... I'm getting ready for PiP... I just have a few things that I have to fix for my male Buccaneer stuff, but I also have to make and dress two women by then.

The Time period that I will be working on is 1669, I know Port Royal would have pretty much any clothing that was available in England at the time.

So far I have found a few pictures from before the time period, and after.... So I have a kinda-sorta idea... but more and better information would help.

It would be helpful if someone that has already found a site could post it, so I can spend more time actually making the clothing than surfing the web looking for pictures and discriptions.....

Wow - as if ye don't have enough to do already just getting yerself ready fer PIP...

PIP is only a month away... But patrick is up to the challenge.

Have fun mate!

Edited by madPete

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Patrick Hand, on 05 November 2010 - 09:48 AM, said:

... but I also have to make and dress two women by then...

Don't look now, but Patrick has gone all Dr. Frankenstein on us...

Yeah.... but they are both well put together.... ;)

I'll have to look into Janet Arnold' book for the "pattern"...(I can scale and draft patterns, and her stuff is taken from period gametes)

So far, I can find clothing from early in the 1600's and just after 1669, Or some paintings of upper class women (nobility)...

Martie will be pertraying a seamstress, I'm trying to convince Carol to be a Tavern owner, but she still hasn't made up her mind about that yet....But I will be making working clothing for both of them. I may have to "Fudge" a bit to get both done in time for PiP, But I will post anything I can find later.

... but I also have to make and dress two women by then...

Don't look now, but Patrick has gone all Dr. Frankenstein on us...

It's ok so long as one of the women isn't Patrick himself...remember Hallowe'en... ;)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG