Thomas Tew

Dutchman

Oi Dutch!

I'll see wot I c'n dig up... I happen to like the ol' boy quite a bit...

edit;

As a point of fact, I've never come across a description of what the man looked like...

There's only the image of him talking with the Governor Fletcher of New York...

http://www.redflag.co.uk/thomtew.htm/

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Tew

Edited by Dorian Lasseter

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Tew's character was nicely summarised by Benjamin Fletcher (the image of the two of them together is by Pyle btw):

Tew appeared to me not only a man of courage and activity, but of the greatest sense and remembrance of what he had seen of any seaman that I had previously met with. He was also what is called a very pleasant man, so that sometimes after the day's labour was done, it was a divertissement as well as information to me to listen to him talk. I wished in my mind to make him a sober man, and in particular to cure him of a vile habit of swearing...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

thanks gang. i've seen the picture, but have no idea what he actually looks like. i have not run across any physical descriptors. based on governor fletchers description, a pleasant swearing drunk... hmmmmm this will be a fun one to pull off.

edit* hey foxe, where did you find the governors description- maybe i can start there for more info.

I was looking through a copy of "Raiders and Rebels" by Frank Sherry today and found a description of Tew in chapter one.

For what it's worth, here's a short sample! He says Tew is "an easy going, social man in his mid fifties who dotes on his family. He claims he is clean shaven, slim, and of middle height and is known to wear his long hair in a beribboned queue, he prefers turkey and venison for dinner followed by a long stemmed pipe and noggin of rum..."

His footnotes go on to say that this description is a result of information from Charles Johnson/Defoe's work but I don't recall reading this there. I guess I'll have to dig out "A General History..." again.

You should be able to check it out here - Amazon.com "Look Inside"

Edited by Iron Jon

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Fletcher's description is in the Calendar of State Papers, Colonial Series: America and the West Indies, 1696, which can be accessed via the British-History link above.

Bear in mind if Sherry is using Johnson as a source for Tew, that Johnson's chapter on Tew is one of the more unreliable ones, and a partner to the totally fictitious Misson chapter.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk