stage combat needs ta knows...

miss adventure

not only do i want to learn how to sail, i want to learn how to fight like a real pirate! YARRR

i have always been more of a lover than a fighter, but it's high time i learned how to use me weapons in case the need arises!

well, mostly just so i can fight with cutlasses and knives and such (heheheh)

what do i need to know about seeking out a training program?

i'm in relatively good shape from being a belly dancer for so long, so that's helpful, but yar, me bones is getting old...(ha!)

so, what do i need to know?

i am SO not interested in learning pansy fencing. i want sword fighting!

YARRR!

:wub:

death by miss adventure...

Do you want to do stage combat or fight. Two different subjects. If you want to play at stage combat take a stage combat course. If you want to fight find a true school. There are many schools or fight instructors out there. I never recommend to people to learn the way I did. I grew up around true fight masters. Rapier & Dagger, Broad & Bastard swords & Cutlass. We used real steel and real edges. I have the scars to prove it. But we were taught to fight. I do choreographed staged combat and make a decent side living at it but I can not "spar" with someone. A true fight follows no rules, hits or point system. I have been talked into sparing and doing tournaments a few times over the years and lost every match. I would have won the fight but not by their rules. See the difference. Decide at what level you want to play and then take the right heading to make it happen.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

I grew up around true fight masters. Rapier & Dagger, Broad & Bastard swords & Cutlass. We used real steel and real edges. I have the scars to prove it. But we were taught to fight

Atta boy!!! ;)

Dontcha just LOVE showing yer scars to the new kids?? *Now lass, I got this here one during a fight at RPFS back in 19 and 70!!! :ph34r:

(Sigh) Those were the good old days. ;)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Aye me fellow belly dancer there are many schools out there for both theatrical and actual combat. In my oipiom it's good to have training in both. You might try Sword Forum International at:

http://www.swordforum.com/

There is a European Historical Swordsmanship forum & a Theatrical Swordsmanship forum as well. A couple of people the Pub are avid memebers. I am sure you can find competent teacher in your area through those two forums. BTW there is also a Living History/Re-enactment forum there as well.

Good luck!

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Some people think scars are cool. But I consider them mistakes. In the 20+ years I've been doing stunt work I have never seriously injured myself or another. (knock on the ol cocconut) Every scar is an oops. I have a few that were just funny. Caught on a nail head sliding down a tin roof for Showtime. The tape is funny. Bang, drop, clang on the roof, slide, stick. "ouch!" "Fall off the roof already." "Shut up I'm stuck." Now here's one I'm realy proud of (ziiippp)......

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

Some people think scars are cool. But I consider them mistakes. In the 20+ years I've been doing stunt work I have never seriously injured myself or another.

Mistakes they are since I can't think of a soul that really fights that would intentionaly run the risk of impaling themselves... (well, okay, maybe one guy I fought with but he's an idiot) but my scars are my memories. Each one with a tale all it's own.

I earned them over the last 44 years. True enough, you don't get many when your 8 year old and just learning but... (shurg) their still all mine. :ph34r:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I second the swordforum international recommendation. They can put you in touch with schools and sparring partners in your area. Just be clear on the kind of fighting that interests you and someone there should be able to fix you up. Don't neglect the "sword movies and movie swords" forum on SFI. Several professional stunt fighters that contribute to that one.

good points all! (ooh i'm a punny one!)

i think i would like to learn theatrical stage combat....i'm kinda of (well a big ol) a sissy, and i wouldn't want to get HURT for real....

as for real fighting, i fight dirty, just like a pirate should!

Aye... when I turn past 18, then I'll think o' taking up swashbuckling and sailing. Fer now, I think I'll stick with me quiet job. I think me name pretty much says it all...

Cabinlass Maggie :blink:

It'll be the rope's end for that one, me bucko.