Hats!

Capn Bob

A few days ago, I ordered a pair of wool felt hat blanks from Jas. Townsend and Son...they arrived today (bloody fast!) while I was grilling.One I plan on tacking up for a new tricorne, the other will be used as a round hat, shaped more for the 17th century. Planning on rubbing them a bit with a sanding block, to hopefully give them an aged and abused look, and I'll be getting some Sno Seal or similar to waterproof them. Me current hat is straw, which is good enough for warm weather, but not at all good for winter. And its got so many holes it lets the water in when it rains.

Damn, thats sharp!

ya know bob, cousin robbie- bless his missing soul, has an interesting philosophy on straw hats. He gets the tightest weave that can be found for his. The rationalle is pretty simple, of course so is he, but make it nice and tight when its dry and when its wet it will swell and seal itself. I pointed the obvious flaws of this to him where he said not to worry, pulled some saw dust and cotton out of his pockets and began to pay the seams. i think he spent too much time in the yards.

A few days ago, I ordered a pair of wool felt hat blanks from Jas. Townsend and Son...they arrived today (bloody fast!) while I was grilling.One I plan on tacking up for a new tricorne, the other will be used as a round hat, shaped more for the 17th century. Planning on rubbing them a bit with a sanding block, to hopefully give them an aged and abused look, and I'll be getting some Sno Seal or similar to waterproof them. Me current hat is straw, which is good enough for warm weather, but not at all good for winter. And its got so many holes it lets the water in when it rains.

Ahoy Cap'n Bob,

I admire your desire to do it yourself. For next time, you may want a foul weather proof hat, you can get an authentic, handcrafted, Oilwaxed one at Captain Jack's Pirate Hats. Also, you can varnish or clear coat your straw hat, with multiple coats you can seal all the holes ( providing it's not an open weave straw) To make it shed the water and keep you dry in those Caribbean squalls. -Jeff

Edited by Jeff MacKay

• 2 weeks later...

Is waxing a hat a period practice? I've always wondered.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Any more firm word on the period-accuracy of waxing hats? I'm quite curious.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Ahoy thar!

Talkin' o' hats...

Does anyone know if the Pyrate Trading Co. of Shawnee, Kansas is still in business????

Projected delivery period has slipped and no response to three e-mail inquires. dry.gif

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney