Cannons, cutlasses, and more for sale

Jamaica Rose

Cannons, cutlasses & more for sale - by Paul Zaras

If you were at the recent Pirates in Paradise, you might have met Paul ... "Powder Keg Paul", as he was quickly dubbed by some of the pirates ... due to his hearing problems. Been around his cannons too much!

Here's a link to photos of his ultralight replica cannons, cutlasses, and more he has for sale:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=329306395&albumId=1426033

Paul lives in Vero Beach, FL (north of Palm Beach). He is quite a wonderful old character, and knows a LOT. He's a bachelor, in his 70s, and living on pennies. His car has died, so over the past years, he's slowly lost touch with all old friends and reenactor buddies. It had been several years since he'd been to any living history events. He's been a subscriber to No Quarter Given since about day one, and had written to us many times, often inviting us to visit and see his "museum". So we took an extra day on our way to Pirates in Paradise to drive up and see him. We were very glad we did.

His barn is FULL to the rafters with things he has made. He has several cannons, mortars, Browning machine guns, bazookas, and lots of other weapons he makes, mostly of wood, PVC, etc. But they LOOK real! The cannons really fire black powder (and can fire wooden shot if desired)and make a LOUD boom! They are a LOT easier to haul around than standard cannons of the same size. The one inch bore cannon with the naval carriage is only 35 lbs (we know because we shipped one home in our airline luggage).

Paul also makes fiddles, banjos, dulcimers, and his own invention the banjo-dulcimer. He makes CARS, really running cars. He has some 3/4 scale jeeps, an Excalibur roadster (full scale), and a Bugatti (not sure if 3/4 or full scale), and some other roadster that was buried in the corner under stuff (so I didn't get a photo of it). The smaller scale vehicles run using lawn mower engines or outboard motors. They would make great parade vehicles.

Paul just loves to tinker. He used to be a machinist in the Air Force, then worked several years for Piper Aircraft. He kept making things, until he filled his barn, and now has no more room to work!

Behind his barn, he has a 27' brig - all hand made of wood. He made it back in the 70s, and sailed it a few times. But due to lack of a vehicle to pull the trailer, and lack of a crew to help him, he wrapped her up, and she's been languishing in the back of his barn. The wood is good, and all that's really needed to get she sailing again is new sails and rigging, and re-painting.

We were determined to put Paul in touch with the local pirate community, who we were sure would "love" to help him with his brig, and would be interested in his cannons and other creations. We asked him to come with us to Key West. So he grabbed some garb, and we stuffed him and one of his cannons into our already stuffed rental car.

He had a blast (literally) in Key West. We fired his cannon several times from the decks of the Schooner Wolf. Capt. Finbar and Julie loved the cannon, and have arranged to buy two of them from Paul right away. Paul is also making them a custom carriage to retrofit their existing cannons to match the 2 new ones.

Paul had brought along a teeny tiny flintlock that he made - about an inch big, that really fires! All the pirates were fascinated by his little pistol, and he had to fire it several times for people who couldn't believe it really worked. Klaus from Pirates Magazine bought it from him.

Paul is a true gem of a man, a wonderful craftsman, who knows a lot about pirates, colonial history, civil war, WWI, WWII, etc. You should see his library! I'm very envious.

Because Paul has no computer, and has difficulty talking on the phone due to his hearing problems, we are helping him sell his cannons, swords, and other things.

If you want more details, or want to know how to get one of Paul's creations, send me a PM.

--Jamaica Rose

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

Wow, he's in my own hometown. How fortuitous. I feel a shopping adventure coming on.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Wow...how do I miss such people when I'm fishing for stories? Does he have any medical equipment?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I recall you introducing him to me Jamaica Rose, he really seemed like a great guy... I spoke with him briefly about his boat, but I didn;t know he made swords and the like! How did I miss that awesome little pistol?!?!

And those swords! Wow! Those are some real beauties! You should suggest to him to try and hitch a ride to St. Augustine for the Searle's Raid event. I know he might some good opportunities to make some contacts, if not some outright sales.

Michael_banner.jpg

Wow...how do I miss such people when I'm fishing for stories? Does he have any medical equipment?

I don't believe he's got any medical equipment, but I will ask next time I call him. Who knows what he's got stuffed into that barn of his?

--Jamaica Rose

--Jamaica Rose

Find No Quarter Given

I'm always looking for a cutlass or two and his look quite nice I saw one he made for Mama. Quite a nice feel to it as well

At PiP, Fayma was thrilled to buy one of Paul's cutlasses, the one with the simulated ivory hilt. Then later in the weekend, when she heard that Cap'n Pernell's kit had been stolen, she gave her new beloved cutlass to him. Such a good heart!

Paul sold all the cutlasses he had on hand at Pirates in Paradise (we've got two of them - one is MINE). He does not have any cutlasses on hand. He started into production mode, making a dozen. It will take 1-2 months for delivery. They are $75 each, plus shipping (in the U.S., between $7 - $15 depending on your location).

We are taking orders, and making a list, so those who order first will get the first cutlasses.

The hilts on the cutlasses can be stained wood, or simulated ivory. They can be octagonally-faceted (as seen in Boarders Away), or rounded.

As for cannons - he has two of the 1" bore on hand, and four of the 1 1/4 " bore on hand, plus about 10 more in progress.

He also has 10 mortars nearly completed (barrels are done, just needs to make the beds). Those are $300 (plus shipping).

Until I get a website built, if anyone is interested in Paul's cannons, cutlasses, etc, send me a PM with your mailing address, and I can send you a flyer and order form.

--Jamaica Rose

--Jamaica Rose

Find No Quarter Given