small tins with lids

silas thatcher

at some events i see sutlers selling little tins with lids... they look like pretty handy containers for small stuff... they vary in size, but the most seen item is about 3" round, and about 1" tall... i hesitate to buy them, i have enough crap that's not pc...

any idea if these were around at the time ?? i was told by some pubbers that tin cups were, so i'm thinking that these handy looking containers might be...

tia

Well they were mining Tin in Cornwall in the UK as early as the 16th century so they were certainly making stuff from Tin by the 17th century. I believe some 17th century snuff boxes were made of tin too.

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

Tin wares were around. Germany imported tin goods to London and other places. You just have to be careful discussing tin when talking about the where and when of tin, for tinware was produced in limited quantities in specific places depending on the date, and of course banned by various controlling laws of England at different times. Most tin produced in the Americas came after 1720.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg