Elcheapo Mexican Blankets

You've seen em before those $5-6 Mexican roughly woven blankets. Some are heavier than others and cost a bit more. Are they PC??? Close to PC?? Are they even acceptable in an encampment? I used them last week due to the fact that I had nothing else close (i.e. wool blankets) and am wondering how the encampment crowd views them.

ihtcbanner.jpg

You've seen em before those $5-6 Mexican roughly woven blankets. Some are heavier than others and cost a bit more. Are they PC??? Close to PC?? Are they even acceptable in an encampment? I used them last week due to the fact that I had nothing else close (i.e. wool blankets) and am wondering how the encampment crowd views them.

Are they plain or patterned? If patterned, they could be the descendants of earlier blankets of Spanish origin, and a little research might be in order. If plain, I don't see the harm. I've used wool army blankets before. I simply chose neutral colors and blankets with no pattern, imprint or numbering.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

Are they plain or patterned? If patterned, they could be the descendants of earlier blankets of Spanish origin, and a little research might be in order. If plain, I don't see the harm. I've used wool army blankets before. I simply chose neutral colors and blankets with no pattern, imprint or numbering.

THey have stripped patterns. THey look similar to this: images%5Cproducts%5Cfull-size%5C1065.jpg

ihtcbanner.jpg

In the two hundred years after Columbus' first voyage weaving was well established in areas of Central & South America and the blankets produced could have easily have found their way onto departing ships ...as long as the dyes aren't blaze pink or other non-natural dye colours you should be ok to use those in period encampments.

I think acceptability properly depends the encampment.

The patterns I've seen tend to be Southwest inspired designs.

I'm hard pressed to see how they'd be suitable for the GAoP.

As to blankets:

These modern Mexican blankets are often a hodge-podge of fibers (both natural & synthetic).

For economy, army surplus wool blankets are the most common standby (hide the modern markings, of course).

The Italian and the Dutch surplus white wool blankets are recommended.

Thrift stores, swap meets, flea markets, and eBay are also good cheap wool blanket sources.

As to encampments:

Each is different; some have few rules, some have strict rules.

If the encampment is trying to portray a specific time and place, you might have to consider not just how you got the blanket but also how you and your blanket got to that encampment.

That said, I have a stack of those Mexican blankets I use around home and sometimes when out. For their weight they're not so warm, but I have stacked a few of them to make a fair mattress.

Mexico And the southwest areas including Arizona and New Mexico Were ruled by Spain during period so the patterns would also be period. Cortez & Coronado tromped all over that area. They were known for absconding with anything they placed value upon and staying warm might have been seen as an asset. I have never seen an encampment that went so far as to analyze the fibre content of your bedding; I use these in the warmer humid temps of summer in the Mid-Atlantic states. Not as warm as wool, true, but there are nights when I enjoy a cover without the level of woolen blankets. Just my tuppence worth