Greetings

Hello all,

The name is Nathan (that's my real name, Nathaniel was an embellishment that sounded more period), 19, and I'm from Minnesota, USA.

I'm a professional actor that wanted to make myself a tricorn hat and was led here, after reading through some of threads I thought this might be a great place to explore a lot of creativity in me that never comes out. I've always wanted to make my own costumes for different things, and this would be the perfect excuse for it, not to mention that then I would have a costume for the Ren Fest. I really can't express just how excited I am getting reading into all the amazing things that go on in this community. It's truly a wonder that I haven't heard of this before, especially from my live action role-playing buddies from Amtgard.

I'm doing my research into developing the character of a doctor-turned-pirate, but any suggestions in regards to what influences might help me develop a character as well as things I should know before fully committing myself to that type of character would be appreciated. I realize this is not the easiest nor the most difficult type of character I could have chosen, but as I'm still very new to the scene my information is running very short. Although I'd like to get my costume up to Captain Twill standard eventually, at the moment I just want to have a basis of understanding of what that entails and how I can achieve that reasonably.

I'd also like to say that in the past two hours of lurking I've seen a lot of very helpful people and those of you who do this know who you are, and that includes the ones who are too humble to say so themselves, I think you folks should be commended. Helping us greens can't be the easiest task at times, but you all are very insightful and resourceful people with a lot of awesomeness. So thank you in advance.

Oh Bill, I missed you... But I'll reload and try again.

Doctor turned pirate, huh? You may already know about him, but the example that comes first to mind is Peter Scudamore. Thomas Dover was a surgeon who became a privateer for a few years, but privateers are not considered true pirates by most people. Surgeons were often taken by pirates from captured ships and kept until the pirate took another ship with a surgeon aboard. Then they would swap them. (You don't want a guy who's mad at you operating on you.) They weren't forced to join the crew (sign the articles), so they could usually avoid being hanged if the pirates were captured. So actually deciding to turn pirate was a dangerous step for a surgeon. You're a brave man, sir. B)

The nice thing about your chosen role is that you don't necessarily have to collect a lot of surgical equipment. That's can be an expensive undertaking if you want equipment that's period correct. (The best place I've found for close to period reproduction instruments is G. Gedney Godwin.)

You might also want to try reading a period surgical manual so you know some of the terms and such. If you decide to do that, you'll hear a lot about John Woodall's The surgions mate, but if you're only going to read one, I would actually recommend John Moyle's book Chirurgus marinus, or The Sea Chirurgion. It was first printed in 1693 (while Woodall's first came out in 1617) and I've found it is better organized, more concise and easier to read. (Plus it covers a lot of the same material, although he prescribes different medicines and slightly different procedures.) If you want those books, you can get pdfs of them from libraries that have access to the database "Early English Books Online" (Woodall's book) and/or "English Short Title Catalog" (Moyle's book). However, I have found that these databases are typically only available at large universities because databases are expensive for universities to subscribe to and this is such a specialized subject. I advise calling the university before going to see if they have the database(s) you want. Make sure to check if you can get on as a guest user as well - reference librarians can be extraordinarily helpful in this regard.

You might also do a search for the term 'surgeon' in the Twill forum - the search function is at the bottom of the forum. (BTW, you're a surgeon, not a doctor. I'd explain that, but it would take more time than the explanation would merit. B) ) You'll find I've reprinted a lot of material in there from period surgical books in as authentic a way as I can and have even deciphered some of the the more obscure terms. It is by no means comprehensive or even very well organized (I reprint stuff as I am reading it, usually choosing the grossest possible descriptions), but you'll get a sampling of the material.

Good luck with your role! Welcome to the board!

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Welcome!

Sounds like you have an excellent gameplan. I'd love to hear your backstory for the basis of your character.

If you'd like to try your hand at a bit of fictional writing where you create some of your char's eccentricities as well as embellish them, we have several current stories in the 'Skull and Quill Society' forum open to new writers.

Pirate_Flag.gif

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Although I'd like to get my costume up to Captain Twill standard eventually, at the moment I just want to have a basis of understanding of what that entails and how I can achieve that reasonably.

To achieve well made period clothes, I've found it easiest to focus on one piece of the overall kit at a time. For example, you might begin with the two most basic articles of clothing. Shirts and slops. These are often the simplest pieces of the kit, but also the foundation of the outfit. There are numerous places in Twill and the Sewing room with discussions on these two items, as well as no shortage of vendors making handmade versions of both.

Of course, you'll have to cock your own hat from a hat blank to truly initiate yourself into the trade.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

Thank you, Mission for your valuable input. I'll have to look into those manuals as suggested, as well as doing my own research on the differences between a surgeon and a doctor. I do understand that at the time those two were different occupations and a surgeon, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't even given the titled "Doctor" but simply reverted to "Mister." I have seen for myself the marvelous craftsmanship of the G. Gedney Godwin and have bookmarked it as a resource for things. I have read though that because of the price of some things, it has earned the nickname by many re-enactors, "Oh my Godwin." Thanks again.

Pew, as a writer, I plan to spend much time writing the back story for my character in the Skull and Quill Society. Perhaps, for one occasion or another, the pen is mightier than the sword?

Of course, you'll have to cock your own hat from a hat blank to truly initiate yourself into the trade.

That part, out of all the other fun things I look forward to doing, is personally my most anticipated task. I look forward to it eagerly.

I personally think Godwin is pretty reasonably priced given the quality of their stuff. Compare them to eBay and you'll be grateful their stuff is so cheap. :P Now their wait time on the more complex pieces is a bit irritating, but you really don't need all that junk anyhow. (Spring-loaded fleams were just starting to become popular at the end of the Golden Age of Pyracy. New techniques in medicine appear to have been very slowly adopted, so it's likely most sea-surgeons wouldn't have such things.)

However, being a surgeon-turned-pyrate, you don't need to have a lot of stuff if you don't want it. You're in transition, right? :rolleyes: Plus, someone who left a ship to join pirates may not have been able to take all his medical gear. (I'm figuring there were at least three boxes of stuff, one or two of which would have been large and heavy. See the thread On Making a Medicine Chest for more on that.) The upshot is, you could easily explain that you only managed to escape with a few necessary tools and leave it at that if you wanted to.

Ah, the doctor/surgeon explanation isn't that hard to research, the details are just tedious. But since you seem interested and I am feeling expansive...

Basically, in England there were four "branches" of medicine (for lack of a better term coming to my mind.) At the top of the heap were the Physicians who dealt mostly in theory. They would be the ones most likely to be called doctors, although I don't see the term used very much in the period literature. (But it is used occasionally, so it's not wholly inappropriate.) The physicians rarely got their hands dirty, they just prescribed treatments, cures and drugs. (Dr. Dover was a physician - apparently a fairly earthy one.)

Next on the totem pole were the Barber-Surgeons who did get their hands dirty. They performed the surgeries, but were supposedly prohibited from making the drugs in England. There was an uneasy alliance between the barbers and the surgeons in the B-S guild and...well, there's where I recommend further research if you're interested. At sea, a true Physician would be less useful than a Surgeon since he didn't perform operations, so if a ship only had one medical person, it would almost certainly be a surgeon. A sea-surgeon was also allowed to make the drugs because he was often all the ship had. Sea surgeons got great training, but were paid much less than those with land-based practices.

Third were the Apothecaries who made the drugs. Their trade was necessarily land-based. There were constant fights between the Apothecary and the Barber-Surgeon guilds over responsibilities and (of interest to us), who was responsible for making up the surgeon's chests during period. Physicians would often prescribe medicines to patients who would go to the Apothecaries to get them filled.

Fourth were everyone else. There were all kinds of untrained folk healers and patent medicine makers roaming England. Somewhere out there is a whole book full of so-called "quack" medicine advertisements that is sort of interesting to look at. However, these people often filled in the gaps between the common people and the lofty Physicians. All the guilds hated them because they didn't pay guild dues and the genuine quacks (as opposed to tooth-pullers and bone-healers who actually did some genuinely good work) sullied the reputation of an already sullied medicine.

See how long that was? That's why I didn't explain it. ;)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

That would be "just add some spiced rum" but 'e's a wee bit too young for that yet! Welcome aboard, mate. We need more surgeons. So many guns, so many gaping holes and severed limbs.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

See how long that was? That's why I didn't explain it.

Actually, thanks to your explanation and the on going conversation over in Captain Twill about Surgeons I think it would be more fitting for my character to be literally a doctor-turned-pirate.

Without being too lengthy in an explanation of my thought, I'm thinking along the lines that my character was a doctor who killed a colleague in moment of fury discussing debts owed. Fearing the noose, my character got in contact with a merchant-friend who helped him get on board a ship. My character had to leave behind his well established reputation and soon-to-come wealth for a chance a life, albeit not exactly the life he had hoped for.

That's just preliminary, as I have a lot of research to do on the subjects at hand, not to mention that there are at least a few loopholes in my story that need to be ironed out.

Edited by Nathaniel Jameson

Without being too lengthy in an explanation of my thought...

Why? Aren't you paying attention to the length of my posts? :huh:<_<

Actually, I would think the surgical aspects of your character would be of secondary importance to the story-line you've laid out, which is most interesting. Knowing a little about the position of the physician (the term doctor is too vague) in society and whatnot should be enough to get you started - the intricacies of surgery can be learned later if you decide to go that route.

Have you attended an event and talked with some folks there about their characters and dress? The may inform your character design choices as much as anything.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Ahoy, Nathaniel. Tis grand t' have a lad such as yo'rself here upon th' Pub.

And ye've come t' the right place. Yo'r not alone bein' a pirate from Minnesota. Plenty of Minnesota pirates here. I be in th' state south of ye... in Iowa.

Shall hope t' cross paths with ye some time at some event in th' future. :)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Welcome Nathanial!

I just took a look at your profile. I have friends outside of Minneapolis/Saint Paul Area ...doubt you would know them because:

A: It is a big state & country. :D

B: I also noticed your birth date and although yours is one day before mine, mine is a few years (clears throat) before yours. ;)

Anyway, you have come to the right place to find information and activities on pyrate reenacting. I have been involved in the past time for only a few years and it is here that I have found most of my pyrating associates.

Again, Welcome.