Wooden Trestle/Box Table

So this is the latest project Kate and I have put together... It is based off the pattern Found on the top of this web page. It is the second one of these I have made, the first having been abandoned in Canada when I moved to the US (it was just another of those things there was not the time or space to move). The second one was a huge improvement over the first as it is actually made from hardwood rather than craft quality pine, which splits out badly when you do load bearing mortis and tenon joints.

We used poplar as it was the cheapest hardwood we could find locally. It cost almost $200 in wood using poplar, it was going to come closer to $350 to make it in red oak. We used a slightly redish stain to hide the more greenish tinge that poplar tends to have (I think the colour we used is called "Red Chesnut" by Minwax).

Now I know this particular style of table isn't exactly period correct, but let's face it... No camp furniture is really period correct, it is really a matter of what works and what is convenient, and what we are able to make look all "Ye Olde Timey" :P ...

Anyways, all the components of this are breakdown, and all of the parts fit within the table top which closes as it were a chest. Talk about packing down nicely! :D I did most of the rough work, while Kate did most of the fine tuning and finishing work (including the staining). A nice team project. The standard pattern make a table that is just over 2 feet by 3 feet and seats four average size people confortably. The first one I made (well a friend and I jointly made) we extended the pattern to make the tabel four feet long, which allowed it to sit six average people reasonably in reasonable comfort.

We ran out of time as we are taking it with us this weekend, but eventually we will be adding "sea chest" style beckets for carrying handles... But that is a project for another day.

Michael_banner.jpg

I swear I posted an image in the first post... But then it was getting late when I posted that, maybe I forget the tags or something... So below is the image!

Silkie, for weight, the 3 foot model is heavy enough that I can just lift myself (with a good bit of straining). My old 4 foot version made from pine I could carry myself with less effort (although more awkwardness because of the size).... I would guess the new poplar one weighs in the 50 to 60 pound range(?). Once I get some proper handles on it, I should be able to get a better idea of actual weight rather than my poor guess.

TrestleTable.jpg

I checked the first post, and the image was not showing because I linked it from mySpace.... So when I uploaded the photo to PhotoBucket it worked better.

Michael_banner.jpg

Michael & Kate, it looks great! Nicely done.

Silkie, for weight, the 3 foot model is heavy enough that I can just lift myself (with a good bit of straining). My old 4 foot version made from pine I could carry myself with less effort (although more awkwardness because of the size).... I would guess the new poplar one weighs in the 50 to 60 pound range(?). Once I get some proper handles on it, I should be able to get a better idea of actual weight rather than my poor guess.
Drat ...I was hoping for a 6 to 8 foot length and I have to heft it myself onto the roof of the car. If pine splits then I would have to use hardwood also. Sigh ...okay ...need another plan ...and a bit more financial backing. LOL

Michael & Kate, it looks great! Nicely done.

Drat ...I was hoping for a 6 to 8 foot length and I have to heft it myself onto the roof of the car. If pine splits then I would have to use hardwood also. Sigh ...okay ...need another plan ...and a bit more financial backing. LOL

Well... The pine table held up fine (outside of denting and surface scratching a fair bit). It was the benches that split out in the pine... So you could do a table in pine, and just make the benches in a hardwood (if you don't care about matching woods on your camp furniture). The pattern would be scalable to a 6 or 8 foot length... Although I don't think I would want to lift one of those by myself, even in pine. My best suggestion for what I think you are wanting Silkie would be the more plain trestle style breakdown table.

Michael_banner.jpg

Silkie - why not make plank tables? I used pine for mine - it's about 5 x 3 and I can lift it fairly easily, so making it a bit larger shouldn't be that much of a hardship as far as weight. And it gets all sorts of use in camp and has held up well. I bought four federal-style legs on eBay and corner brackets and hanger bolts from Rockler. The legs detach so the tabletops can be stacked for transport.

Here's a pic of the underneath of the table before I attached the corner brackets:

Tabletop.jpg

Here's a pic after I hastily put the legs on (hence the crooked leg in the front.)

Table2.jpg

RHJMap.jpg

Michael,

You guys did a great job on the camp table! Excellent!!!

Something to add, the unit I'm attached to for F&I sets up a Tavern at events and use those exact tables and benches.

As beautiful as yours is being stained and varnished, it would be more appropriate, or I should say easier/cheaper/more common for such to be painted.

More permanent or higher class furniture is varnished and such for the upper class.

Here's an image of the Tavern at Fort Niagara, you can see some of the tables/benches...

P7040066.jpg

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Those are gorgeous Jill!!! Love the colour of stain you used and shaping on the legs! Brilliant stuff!

Thanks! If memory serves, I used red mahogany stain. I put two coats on and wiped them very quickly afterward - made for a nice depth of colour. And the table is not as shiny as it looks in that picture. I debated on whether or not to use a sealer but wanted it to hold up to a lot of spilled rum and ale. I painted the apron and legs black, which really offset the stain on the planks nicely. It might not be absolutely period, but I was looking to make something that looked somewhat like it was cobbled together out of spare parts.

RHJMap.jpg

And Jill, is that not the same table which now has a lot of pyrate initials/names carved into the top? Just like you would find at any tavern. ;)

Great job on your table and benches, Michael. I am always envious of people who can do woodwork, as any type of carpenter work is not my forte. Nor is it Chain Shots, unless you need someone to build a log stockade.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

No - the carved table is one of my wee camp tables, about half the size of that one. I made the one large map table (the one in the photos) plus two other smaller tables, one not quite 3 x 3 and one about 3 x 4.

This is the carved table (the 3 x 3) after a poker game. The "tea" was actually rum.

Table.jpg

Michael - your table and benches are terrific! What a great idea!

RHJMap.jpg