rope for tents

the previous owners of my wall tent used 5/8 or3/4 inch rope for securing the tent to the stakes... methinks this is overkill and i also need some more rope for the fly...

hemptraders.com has some 5mm rope fairly cheap and is rated for 280#... thinking of getting some to replace the ropes for the tent and use it for the fly also... anyone see any problems using the 5mm rope ??

ALSO... the toggles used for the tent ( i have none for the fly ) are drilled out to accept the larger rope... do i need toggles with smaller holes for smaller rope or will the larger holed toggles work as well ??

tia

the previous owners of my wall tent used 5/8 or3/4 inch rope for securing the tent to the stakes... methinks this is overkill and i also need some more rope for the fly...

hemptraders.com has some 5mm rope fairly cheap and is rated for 280#... thinking of getting some to replace the ropes for the tent and use it for the fly also... anyone see any problems using the 5mm rope ??

ALSO... the toggles used for the tent ( i have none for the fly ) are drilled out to accept the larger rope... do i need toggles with smaller holes for smaller rope or will the larger holed toggles work as well ??

tia

Yes, the thicker rope is overkill. I've used 1/4" sissal for years and never had a rope break.

The larger toggles should work. If they are drilled at an angle then it is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

Mark