Greetings and Salutations

Just found this forum a few days ago and am very glad I did! Seems like an extremely friendly place with an open and welcoming atmosphere and I look forward to being a member.

I'm a historian by training and my main interest is the age of sail from the 16th century to the end of the Napoleonic Wars. In my free-time I love to draw and paint (digitally) and will be posting some of my work in the art forum.

Again, glad to be here, and look forward to getting to know everyone!

Alright then. Another historian to badger to death...I mean what a welcome resource! Welcome aboard, mate. And you're right: this is one of the most fair-minded groups I have ever met. Especially for a bunch of Pyrates. Enjoy our fair anchorage.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I'll issue a formal "Well, Hello, there!"

Are you named after Graham Chapman's film "Yellowbeard" . . . ?

Also, are you presently working as a historian, or like many of us History major grads, working in another field and doing history stuff on the side?

(I am something between and 'armchair" historian and a professional historian, as a number of history grads are. I am planning to re-enter school for a PhD program in the not-to-distant future.)

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Thanks for the welcome mates! To answer your question Jack, I have a BA in ancient history, with a specialization in late republican to mid-Imperial Roman history and a minor in classical studies (which also explains why I worked in retail for so many years!). As far as the age of sail time period goes, I'm most knowledgeable about the late 18th and early 19th century and have what I would call a bare bones understanding about the GAoP, which is one of the reasons I'm here.

And yeah, Yellowbeard is my attempt at a tongue in cheek username.

Well this is the place for pirate history - just go through all the Capt. Twill forum among others. Also fun stuff as you might have already discovered.

Welcome to the Pub!

Noticed your bio a bit empty, what port do you hail from? I take it you be an older gentleman?

Didn't say anything about married.................hmmmmmmmmmm............cheerful-vi.gif

Well, I still feel like a whippersnapper at 38, and I split time between my home in Miami and a closet sized apartment in Manhattan. I've been married 9 times- just kidding! Married and divorced but right now I'm lucky enough to have a wonderful woman in my life who not only puts up with but encourages my colossally dorky hobbies.

"Colossally dorky hobbies" . . .

Like playing pirate . . . ?

I think a few of us are guilty of odd hobbies.

-I am a HUGE fan of Batman and Star Wars.

Edited by Tartan Jack

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

A hearty welcome to ye, Yellowbeard. Pleausre t' have ye here with th' likes of we gentlemen and gentleladies scoundrels. :lol: A fine establishment ye stumbled upon full of various treasures I dare say hope ye fancy and pilfer.

aye, encouragement of hobbies tis a mighty good thing. :lol:

BTW... since ye be new, ye purchase th' first round... so I'll be havin' a tall Tequila Rose thank ye very much.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to the list and hope pirates had mamas because I'm probably twice the age of some of the mates and missies on the list. I've only done pirate at RenFairs where I portray Caterina Passero, the Italian mama of Giovanni Passero who ran away to sea to search for his alleged father at the age of 12 and I've been looking for him ever since. (Passero means Sparrow.). Rumors have it that papa was washed overboard during a particularly severe and violent drinking binge and never seen again. Although having used the RC Hunting Traveling Riding Ensemble pattern, my garb is mainly a farce, based upon the idea of booty arriving periodically from my absent son and collecting items here and there. (which is simply a way to avoid a gazillion buttonholes)-- Some silk, some lace, some buttons and purely parodizing (is that a word?) my betters. I interact with all the JS's at Faire, "Thatza my son!" I try to do my grandmother's accent (not knowing how to do an Italian doing 17th century English) but often end up ....doing Borat.

I would like to make another set of garb that is more historically accurate and have the wool but have all sorts of other era projects in the way right now.

I'm also trained as a historian (Ph.D. U.S. UT/Austin, 1989--all of 19th, Military to 1900 and the Italian Risorgimento) but was disabled by kidney failure from teaching in 1994 (am on dialysis and the transplant list), so I like to inject a little history into my impression and also give away repro doubloons or pieces of eight to the kiddies and even try to explain them sometimes. Have done reenactments since 1966--mainly Rev and Civil War and an occasional F and I. Home field is 19th.

Where can I go to ask a gangplank question (need it for Saturday) about the dimensions of a Steinkirk ca. 1700?

Ahoy an' welcome to th' Pub, Chriscat.

We'll get ye yo'r own thread jus' fo' ye. How be that? :rolleyes:

Glad t' have ye with us here. By all means, have piccies of yo'rself in yo'r outfit... flaunt them in the "Pictures of yourself" threads that be floatin' about on th' Pub. Aye? Lots for ye t' interact and be a part of that be fo' sure.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Ahoy an' welcome to th' Pub, Chriscat.

We'll get ye yo'r own thread jus' fo' ye. How be that? :rolleyes:

Glad t' have ye with us here. By all means, have piccies of yo'rself in yo'r outfit... flaunt them in the "Pictures of yourself" threads that be floatin' about on th' Pub. Aye? Lots for ye t' interact and be a part of that be fo' sure.

~Lady B

Drat! Having visited the Sewing Page and the minimum standards page I am already thoroughly intimidated! I may wear my garb one last time and start over! It was meant as a Faire spoof--now I see that people really do living history pirates and their families on shore. My pattern is correct in form but I was not prepared to do a gazillion buttonholes and gold brocaded trim etc etc (the RH riding/traveling ensemble). I think maybe RenFaire pirate mama to entertain the kiddies may be my limit right now. I didn't do well with the mantua pattern (proposed as basic to a female impression) and gave up but may need to give it another spin should I really decide to participate in this level of pyracy. I think I may have cut on a wrong line because something was missing--I did something wrong and gave up--even after buying the books and doing enough reearch to create a persona. Stays don't bother me, but I do have to be careful--health issues.

How does pirate living history work? Are there events that reflect a certain year and a certain place or event just like more land centered living history events? Since it is a broad topic, do you make different garb for each event reflecting a different pirate experience? My garb looks great if you don't know the difference but I even knew the difference when I was doing it. It needs buttonholes, braids instead of lace, wool or damask or brocade instead of faux silk (I was actually looking also at extant men's frock coats), a better steinkirk, a long sleeved waistcoat and a better habit shirt --things like that. A bit fancy but that's part of my persona in somewhat defiance of social distinction. Probably works better at a RenFaire. I need to try the mantua again before I show up at any good events. I will take the sewing pages very seriously and be a piratical student for a while.