Diesel Fuel Buffalo Sandals!

Okay, I ordered a pair of the Buffalo Sandals that were mentioned in anther thread. Sorry i couldn't find it. Well, they reek of diesel fuel! I remember someone mentioning this prior, and I am hoping someone has found a "cure" for these stink sandals.

I am planning on soaking them in a degreaser, like Simple green. Anyone have any luck with de-stinking these beasts????

Thanks!

ihtcbanner.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Any luck with getting the Road Warrior smell out of you sandals?

Maybe you could put them in a plastic shoe box and cover them with baking soda for a week?

Or perhaps a paste of baking soap and saddle soap?

Edited by CaptainSatan

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

Couldn't you just leave them hanging outside until the next Pyrate event....? Nature should let th' smell kinda go away.....

I scrubbed them and soaked them in several degreasing solutions (like SImple Green), let them soak for a while, wrung them out and realized that it's the dye that makes them stink. THey must dye these things with gasoline. Even after that and leaving them out side for days, they still stink. Albeit a little less, but stink none-the-less.

ihtcbanner.jpg

I wonder if re-dyeing them would help?

Thanks for the heads up BTW. I was just about to buy a pair of those.

I would avoid it. Seriously. IMO they are not wearable unless you work on an oil rig - then everything on you stinks of oil products. When i am ready I'll have a pair made for me. THe leather worker at the Spanish Museum in St. Augustine Florida showed me a pair he made that were well, simple and very cool. I think I'll eventually have a pair made for me. The leatherworker unfortunately did not make them for sale.

ihtcbanner.jpg

Perhaps firing them from a cannon would be the best option?

Yes!

I left mine outside all winter. Then recently tried soaking and soaping and rinsing them many times. I am getting incredible amounts of dirt (yes dirt, not dye!) coming out with each rinse. It's as if there was mud layered between leather and stitched together!

And they still stink of diesel in such a way that I don't think I would want them on my feet at all!

And to think I could have bought rhum with that money...

Oh well - still got my Ghurkees!