Flemishing

El Pirata

Ok there mariners anyone know why they call it flemishing a line? I've been knowing a thing or two in the nautical department for most of my life but this one just came to me right now.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

Maybe it was a cultural thing...the French laying their rope out one way...the Spanish another....and that configuration was initially exclusive to Flemish sailors?

Royaliste would probably be a better souce for this...

By the way, TalesOfTheSevenSeas, I remember back during the Ghost Ship cruise...you and I were talking about good book for nautical knot typing and end splicing, etc. Could you please remind me of it?

Thanks.

REDD.jpg

YARRR! The Oktober be silent now! Just call me "REDD!"

Gary has several. I'd get a recommendation from him, depending upon what you want, there are some specific to knotting, but my favorite is an old book called "A Young Officer's Sheet Anchor" which has not only knots and explanations of different nautical terms but very clear detailed illustrations intended to help newbies on board tall ships way back in the day.

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

.."Hmm, 'all-inclusive knowledge of proper knots'...'Ashley's Book of Knots'

Sailing around the world, and really need specific rigging knowledge..'Anything in print by Brian Toss'

Period rigging and history..'A Young Seaman's Sheet Anchor'

General knot-tying, and practical applications..'The U.S. Navy Bluejacket's Manual'..

Nautical art with knots.'A Marlinspike Sailor'

All excellent in their proper places....

:ph34r:

Just to clarify flemishing, to flemish a line (rope) is to lay it into a flat coil on the deck of a ship like this:

image122.gif

But as to why it is called that... Hmmmm, I'm gonna have to hunt for that one!!

That would be flemishing.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.