The Weaker Vessel by Antonia Fraser

Cheeky Actress

I just started reading this book. Antonia Fraser is known for her period works on Royalty both in England and France.

This book is a, " deep well of diaries, letters, and papers from 17th-century England, the gifted historian Antonia Fraser gives the image of the "softer sex" a drubbing, plunging readers into the lives of "heiresses and dairy maids, holy women and prostitutes, criminals and educators, widows and witches, midwives and mothers, heroines, courtesans, prophetesses, businesswomen, ladies of the court, and that new breed, the actress."

Sounds like a good read...

Has any one else read it?

Edited by Cheeky Actress

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Has any one else read it?

WOAH... has anyone else even heard of it?

But it does sound interesting, can you post the ispn number, Author, Publisher an such?

Not that I could find it at one of the local book stores..... but after you finish reading it and review it... (and if it was any good...) maybe I could order it ..... :wacko:

Yes, of course Patrick. Here is the information you requested.

Title: The Weaker Vessel

Author(s): Antonia Fraser

ISBN: 0-394-51351-7 / 978-0-394-51351-5 (USA edition)

Publisher: Knopf

Antonia Fraser has also written books on the lives of Mary Queen of Scots, Cromwell, James I, VI, and both Charles I, & II.

Here is the link to Amazon.com for those who are interested.

The Weaker Vessel, by Antonia Fraser

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

aye Mistress,

it is a grand book though it has been some years since i have read it. Will likely have to replace my copy at some point. another grand book is eleanor of aquataine as well.

salty

A little late for GAOP but still and excelletn read on the lives and times of a group of women is:

Courtesans: Money, Sex and Fame in the Nineteenth Century

Katie Hickman

ISBN13: 9780060935146

Edited by Saltypots

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

I have read many books by Antonia Frazier, including the Weaker Vessel. She also has a book which is a compilation of love letters between famous couples, down through the ages, which is a very interesting read.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog