Completed Frock Coats

bazuka

Hello to everyone on the Pyracy Pub. I am not a reenactor but respect the effort and time put forth in this noble pursuit of keeping history alive. I do not like most of the clothing available and started my own research and that is how I found this forum and Reconstructing History.

I am going to start with a shirt, following the instructions garnered from the Esoteric Creations website and then will continue with patterns from Reconstructing History.

RH706 Breeches and Slops – I have found many examples so no questions here

RH702 – Frock Coat

RH703 – Frock Coat

I would love to be able to see some completed Frock coats before I choose. I have found many examples here but unless specified, there is no way of knowing whether a purchased pattern was used; I have spent plenty of time using the search function. So if possible I would love to see pictures…..this is my new Frock coat created with RHXXX pattern. Thank you in advance.

Bazuka

This is my frock using RH702, I'm also wearing the RH704 waistcoat (long variant) but it is difficult to see the waistcoat under the Frock. I made this coat as a military uniform of the period (a standard Red Coat soldier). I am also wearing the RH706 Breeches in that photo, again they are difficult to see. The one thing about the RH 706 pattern is they are difficult to fit, I had to go one or two sizes up on the waistband from what the instructions specify, and I had to go three sizes up on the leg portions in order to get a decent fit.

RedCoatAtPiP.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions, I own just about every pirate era pattern from Reconstructing Hostory, and I;ve made items from most of the patterns, so I have a bit of experience with this.

Michael_banner.jpg

michaelsbagley,

After looking a little closer at the picture it appears that you have several buttons, buttoned. Are they all real or false button holes? One last question, what fabric did you use for the coat and lining?

All of the buttonholes are sewn, but only most are actually cut open to receive buttons. I think the bottom 8 are not cut whereas the top 20 are cut.

The coat is made from a wool broadcloth (I bought it as "real" wool, but a burn test later revealed it to be a 50/50 poly/wool blend), the cuffs are made from wool flannel (and that stuff is 100% wool), the lining is made from a navy cotton/linen blend (45/55).

I am contemplating making a second coat like this one, with a few changes (using 100% wool outer) and a thin wool lining instead of the cotton/linen blend. I'm also contenplating doing a slightly different edge treatment. If I do this it will likely be late in the spring or over the summer... Or perhaps even further in the future... This will also have the advantage of me having a "loaner" red coat, so we can try and get more than one red coat soldier on the filed at a time fighting the pirates.

Here's a more side angle view of the coat...

FrockWebOptimized.jpg

Edited by michaelsbagley
Michael_banner.jpg

Ahoy, Bazuka.

Welcome fo' one. :P Glad t' have ye here.

I know Kass has some fabulous patterns that are indeed period. I have not bought any but have gone a cheaper route purchasing the major commercial patterns and loosely using them to make period like pieces. Loosely meaning I make LOTS of alterations to them to get as close as I can to period. My latest coat is nigh two years old and since then there has been LOTS and LOTS of info pop up. So, I'm on my way towards another coat or two or a few (when possible). As well as a whole new waredrobe really (except I'm keeping my shoes, stockings and shirts.

Either way, there are PLENTY of people here on the Pub who can help you and answer whatever questions ye have on making outfits, no matter what patterns ye use. :)

And plenty of images on here as well in various threads showing various period peices.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

LadyBarbossa,

Thank you for the reply, I also have one of the cheaper commercial patterns. I would like to purchase a couple of the patterns from Kass but I wanted to get an idea of a completed coat before I choose the pattern. That is the reason I am asking for anyone who has utilized one of her patterns. I would like to see completed examples of RH702 and RH703 and that will help me make the decision. I know RH has descriptions on their website but I need pictures.

Bazuka

Edited by bazuka