SCI-fi series

Rats

Well, Rats, I think Mal and his cohorts really DID meet the definition of "pirates" and I make a pretty good argument to that effect in the summer issue of "Pyrates Way" magazine. I wrote an article on pirates in science fiction and discussed both the reavers and Serenity's crew. If "piracy" is defined as murder, mayhem and theft on the high seas (or in the lanes of commerce which space definitely is in the period represented in the Firefly series) then I think lots of the things that Mal and his crew did constitute "piracy." For instance, using their vessel to help them pull of the train robbery or to transport stolen cattle - all of these things would have made Henry Morgan proud as he landed his men to take Puerto Bello or raid Cartagena. I agree that you can also make the argument that they are more smugglers but they use their weapons in a much more offensive way than your average smuggler does and the nature of their vessel limits their capabilities as true space pirates. On the other hand, the reavers are definitely equipped to take on other ships but their lack of an intent to steal and profit from the theft (except in their own sick, twisted way) also argues against them being true space pirates.

But, lots of fodder for discussion there and I think you can argue that both groups are and are not pirates.

Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."