Behind the scenes?

Hawk the QM

I was going to add this topic under crews but couldn't find an appropriate place. Basically I'm tired driving too and from events for the ones I want to stay for. I've hung around with entertainers at Ojai and was invited back to their "camp".

How does one pay admission (lets say for both days), help with entertainment and be a part of the event? From what I was told about renfaires is we need to join a guild. Does anything like this exist around So Cal?

I feel a little more dedicated to be a spectator and I want to be spectated (as odd as that sounds). How do you guys do it? Do you just get a ticket and just have fun or do you join up with a crew and help them?

I never have as much fun at the event then I do after it closes. My best memories of civil war where after dark.

Any information would be great.

Yaaaaaar thanks mates.

Edited by Thequartermaster

Pretty much, yes - you would do this as a member of a guild or a hired entertainer. For the most part, guilds set up a camp within a faire, are generally expected to spend some time each day doing gate duty and are expected to have some interaction with the public either educational or entertaining. Staying in camp is between you and the guild you belong to, but faires tend to have extra space for camping out in adjunct areas.

There are a number of guilds in Southern California, but I don't know all of them. Can someone from So Cal answer that question?

RHJMap.jpg

It all depends on what kind of entertainment you want to do.

If you are a member of a group then you get gatelisted and the only thing you might have to pay for is camping.

In our group, Pirates of Treasure Cove, we are the ONLY pirate group that has a REAL GOAL, and that is to teach literacy to children. Our motto is: Readers are Leaders.

We put out a quite a few books for kids and adults to look through and we hand out scrolls that have age appropriete listing of pirate/sailing books to read and learn.

We are getting some new people in who work with kids so I suspect next year we might actually have some story times and other presentations to do.

We also do 'Meet and Greet' at all events as that is what our dear Captain Kent loves to do (and he's really good at it!). We are a small group with no politics, no major problem people or idiots, we all get along very well like a family. We also have no barriers such as ropes to prohibit the public entrance and we want people to come to us and talk with us.

The majority of other groups around Southern Calif. usually just put up their camps, ropes/whatever to keep people out. A lot just sit on their butts doing nothing though they claim they are there to entertain the public........the only thing we see is entertaining themselves..... :P

As a stage entertainer, you have to come up with something really good that hasn't been done elsewhere. Also the funnier the better. Pay is negotiable with whoever is putting on the event. Most don't get paid and rely on tips after their shows are over.

Regarding where to find groups, a lot are in the No Quarter Given zine, our group isn't listed because we are a specialty group and don't want a ton of people around.....

If you are a younger person you'd probably prefer one of the groups with your age people in it. Our group tends to lean towards the more adult people.

I hope I've answered some of your questions.

Rumba

It all depends on what kind of entertainment you want to do.

If you are a member of a group then you get gatelisted and the only thing you might have to pay for is camping.

In our group, Pirates of Treasure Cove, we are the ONLY pirate group that has a REAL GOAL, and that is to teach literacy to children. Our motto is: Readers are Leaders.

We put out a quite a few books for kids and adults to look through and we hand out scrolls that have age appropriete listing of pirate/sailing books to read and learn.

We are getting some new people in who work with kids so I suspect next year we might actually have some story times and other presentations to do.

We also do 'Meet and Greet' at all events as that is what our dear Captain Kent loves to do (and he's really good at it!). We are a small group with no politics, no major problem people or idiots, we all get along very well like a family. We also have no barriers such as ropes to prohibit the public entrance and we want people to come to us and talk with us.

The majority of other groups around Southern Calif. usually just put up their camps, ropes/whatever to keep people out. A lot just sit on their butts doing nothing though they claim they are there to entertain the public........the only thing we see is entertaining themselves..... :D

As a stage entertainer, you have to come up with something really good that hasn't been done elsewhere. Also the funnier the better. Pay is negotiable with whoever is putting on the event. Most don't get paid and rely on tips after their shows are over.

Regarding where to find groups, a lot are in the No Quarter Given zine, our group isn't listed because we are a specialty group and don't want a ton of people around.....

If you are a younger person you'd probably prefer one of the groups with your age people in it. Our group tends to lean towards the more adult people.

I hope I've answered some of your questions.

Rumba

Wow thank you Rumba. That's a noble cause for yer group and I wish you all the best of luck. I love the open camp policy. What's the point of dressing up just to shoo people away. I will look into No Quarter and I thank you both very much for the advice and input. =)

I must admit, being affiliated with a group or guild is much more fun. Gate duty is a hoot, and the group I belong to, Tales of the Seven Seas (based in the SF Bay area, but with members kinda all over), is always involved in the Big Battle at Ojai, and at Nor Cal, which is a blast — literally, if you're on the gun crew! We also have a member who is extremely good at educating the public on navigation. He can keep people fascinated, and has a set up to demonstrate how a ship is steered, how to calculate speed (knots), and find your position with a sextant.

As for roping off the encampment, it's mainly done, I think, for security reasons. At Nor Cal we had a couple come in thinking we were a merchants booth, and that all of the props we had were for sale. The lady started picking stuff up and walking around with it. We politely explained to them that wasn't the case, and they were fine with it. Also, it's nice to know that you have a relatively secure place to leave your camera's, weapons, etc, if you're off doing something else. Or a place to eat your lunch or take a break, in relative peace and quiet, after you've been out entertaining most of the day.

And I agree, the after-the-event-closes time is really special. :D

With respect,

R

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

As a member of Stranglehold , We Hail from San Diego, I concur...

Stranglehold helps provide a piratical presents at faire and we interact with the public as individuals and as a group

for the pre-battle shows.. Admittley the bits we do need a little more wit to be funny. We do gate list duties as other groups and on occasion I will greet Rumba from accross the way. Being in a group is as a much more richer experience than being a "Plunderer" at a faire... It is a drama in it self...

The quartermaster

Come to Escondito Ren fair and go to the Pirates cove to meet us...

Edited by oderlesseye

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

As a member of Stranglehold , We Hail from San Diego, I concur...

Stranglehold helps provide a piratical presents at faire and we interact with the public as individuals and as a group

for the pre-battle shows.. Admittley the bits we do need a little more wit to be funny. We do gate list duties as other groups and on occasion I will greet Rumba from accross the way. Being in a group is as a much more richer experience than being a "Plunderer" at a faire... It is a drama in it self...

Yaaaar Thank you Ransom and Oderless for your input. I'm not exactly sure what it is I'm hoping to do yet but hopefully, I will soon. I'm not much for reenacting anymore because as someone said before, we would just stand there looking period. Civil War kinda sucked the fun out of it and I'm looking for a different approach.

Thank you mates for the responses. Yaaaaar! :D