Historical Halloween?

Cheeky Actress

While reading the Pub (Beyond Pyracy section) this morning, I saw "Doc" had posted something on the Bannerman's Island/Pollepel Island on the Hudson River.

Growing up in New York for most of my life, and my Father from the Albany area, I grew up hearing tales of local lore and legends. Some of these tales have been made famous by Washington Irving.

With Halloween just around the corner, I picked up a book called, " Myths and Legends of Our Own Land Vol. 1". These are tales of the New England/Delware area from the early settlement times. This book mentions Bannerman's/Pollepel Island and the awful Heer of Dunderberg, not to mention the Flying Dutchman, which like many other vessels sank south of the island in the early 1700's. In fact, the ruins of these ships seem a fitting tribute to the highlands' spooky legacy.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

I love this time of the year... actually I find Fall to be the true "Most Wonderful Time of the Year." Pumpkins and falling leaves just go hand in hand with flintlocks and cocked hats and spooky stories, wouldn't you agree?

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Monk%20Ref%20end%20ear%20small.jpg

Monkey!

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Pumpkins and falling leaves just go hand in hand with flintlocks and cocked hats and spooky stories, wouldn't you agree?

My thoughts exactly. Even though I now live in Florida (where autumn means temperatures drop a degree or two and the torrential rain becomes merely a steady downpour), the approach of October always makes my thoughts go to muskets and frock coats along with Indian corn and gourds.

I find myself reading books about New England in the Colonial era, as if a whiff of cool air and fallen leaves would rise from the paper. Last night I put on an old, old album called "Witches and War-Whoops", containing ballads of 17th century Massachusetts.

Now for a cup of real, unpasteurized cider and a day below 85 degrees...

Red Sea Trade

Colony of East Florida (sigh)

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

I love Halloween! The boyfriend and I have been busy planning our 3rd annual Halloween party since the beginning of September. This year we ordered custom trophies from the internet for a costume contest and already our friends are getting crazy trying to out-do each other with costume ideas.

I've been looking at those websites for do-it-yourself halloween projects. I've got waaaay too many ideas now. I really want to build a toe pincher coffin and line it with plastic, then use it as a cooler.

I grew up totally obsessed with Halloween. Favorite time of the year. I have pictures of myself at about 4 years old, in the summertime, wearing a witch hat and holding a Dennison's Halloween party book (I shudder to think what that book would be worth now) As a teenager in the 70's it was all about tarot cards and palm reading and black magic. As an adult, I know I've spent more on Halloween decorations than all other holidays combined.

And I do love autumn in Minnesota. The Minnesota Renfest and lots of re-enactment events this time of year. Pumpkins, woodsmoke, cider, black powder...what's not to love?

Now for a cup of real, unpasteurized cider and a day below 85 degrees...

Unpasteurized cider!?!?!

Where on earth can you find that in this day and age? I thought the FDA outlawed it a couple years ago for being "dangerous"

ooooooh scary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q6nDqlaqeU...feature=related

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Small-town apple festivals are about to go into high gear around here. I always stock up on fresh apple butter and cider this time of year. Getting it fresh out of the copper cauldron at the fest is always a treat I look forward to each fall. I keep my own crock jugs and take them with me every year to the Mt. Vernon, Mo. festival. Ghostie stories and rum/cider on a cool fall evenin... ooohh man!

Now with the lovely Autumn season upon us, can anyone tell me their favorite halloween tale (Regionally Related) from where you grew up as a kid?

Now, this doesn't mean those Urban Legends that we hear all the time (the mad ax murder or the Hitchhiking Bride/Traveler) I mean something that is very interesting, very cool and very well...lore based in your area.

Now go...seek out your most interesting and scarey local tale and share them here!

Member of "The Forsaken"

"The scariest thing in the world would be if all the air in the world turned to WOOD!"

"Ok, like, the scariest thing in the world would be if like you went to grab something and it wasn't there!.... Because it turned to WOOD!"

"The scariest thing in the world would be if they gave Sinbad another T.V. show!

[Later]

"You don't really believe in that stuff, about Sinbad getting another T.V. show, do you Buzz?"

"Nah, the broadcasting industry has all sorts of safe guards to prevent that sort of thing."

(I'm not helping much, am I?) :(

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

No Mission... :( Perhaps I should go first. Just let me see if I can pull out some of my grandmother's old letters (Grandmother McKinney) she use to write about a few things that happened

'Up North' near VT, NY borders in late fall and winter.

Member of "The Forsaken"

visiting the amish farms around here and getting their "sweet cider" as opposed their fresh cider ...none of that is pasturized as is their milk ...fresh whole milk without enough butter fat to skim off and churn into sweet cream butter .....and the orchards heavy with sweet ripe apples and the last of the pears for the season and baskets of black walnuts ......and lots of homemade soups and fresh crusty hearth baked breads .....and roasted herbed game birds ....the ham and turkey shoots and the early morning hunts for turkey and later for deer either by bow or by flintlock ...with the rich smell of oakwood smoke drifting over the ridges

aye,

Samhain be the best time o year, the leaves are changing and falling, the nights are colder and the haunts and spirits (both kinds) abound. Yes you can still find unpasturized cider in places, and as long as we dont go making issue of it they will remain such places. try a local apple farm that does thier own pressings. just a thought.

so on the subjiect of spooky tales.. besides the flying ductchman what other haunted ships abound in pyrate waters? growing up landlocked we have our own tales but not many sea going vessels are included.

cheers and happy hauntings for the season

Salty

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

You people are KILLING me! I spent 40 years in the northeast, including 4 years in Pennsylvania's Apple Capital, Adams County. Memories of long, brisk walks on autumn evenings and all manner of Appley Goodness. I even get sentimental for my first hangover, caused by a gallon of apple cider I allowed to turn by placing it in a warm, dark spot for all of October. We drank it, warm and bubbly, out of old jelly jars, tasting Fall in every sip. Shining times!

Now, in Florida, the best I can hope for is finding some unfiltered apple juice and imagining that it isn't 90 degrees.

Makes me want to start driving north right now...

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

I am greatful that since I've moved here to Wiscosin, at least I see the four seasons. This time of year we can drive up north to Door County. This is only a 3 hour drive and we are in the heart of what is known as, "The New England of the Midwest".

Member of "The Forsaken"

Salty, Hamish and I are right in the middle of the Autumn Leaf Feastival in the semi-official self-proclaimed Autumn Leaf Capital of the World, Clarion, PA ...better known here as just ALF or the fall drunk-in. The events run for a week from 5ks to antique car shows and music and dances and carnival rides and carny food and a large motorcycle show next weekend and a parade ....the best time to avoid town and head for the forest!!!