Need help with sewing patterns

Silent

Hey all, so here is the deal. I'm in a bit of a financial bind and after totaling up the garb I want from online stores I almost spilled my drink. So I figured it would be better to make it myself. My only problem is, I don't really no how to sew or how cloths are put together. I have a general idea after being in homeic but that was years ago.

If I could get some pointers on making a Jerkin and Pants to fit the time period that would be much obliged. Or even patterns, I've looked, but I guess not in the right places. :lol:

This is the time of Jerkin I'm looking for (found online for $95) I would like it long with maybe pockets on the bottom but must have buttons up the middle.

pirate_outfit_06.jpg

I'm thinking the Jerkin needs to be in three parts, two for the front and one for the back

I can't find pictures of the pants I want. If you've ever seen the Blackbeard movie they did on Discovery chan. NOT the one where he wore that dumb vest with no shirt, but the other short one. His first mate Mr. Hands had the kind'a pants I'm looking for. Almost a dark tan color that stop about mid calf, not tight but kind of bigger like pantaloons. Oh I kinda found a picture

Look between BlackBeards left armpit and you'll see Mr. Hands and the pants he has on, I want them like that.

2518_blackbeard-6_04700300.jpg

Pants must be in....two parts?or three?or four???

thanks for the help, that's all the help I need on, the rest i have figured out. Thanks for anything you can offer

Silent you would be looking for a waistcoat and trouser pattern... hmmm since you don't sew, we need to find you something simple to start with... are you looking for pc pirate clothes or just something to give you the look and have fun with?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Well I'm the kind'a person who is very anal about looks. Like polyesters, silks and some cottons I freak out over. If it doesn't look real I flip out.

I was thinking about putting some money into a sewing machine, they come with instructions right? Maybe my mother has one I could use or pawn her off into sewing for me.

I tried looking for patterns at the store but to me it was like looking for a needle in a hay stack and when I asked the clerk she gave me a weird look and kept pulling out modern patterns :lol:

I kept looking online for sewing patterns but cant find anything period and figured people here would know best. I'll keep looking on my own and checking back here to answer questions!

Thanks again for the help, I'm very greatful.

Browse the thrift shops for a sewing machine. I got mine about 10 years ago for $25.00 and it is still going strong. Just take it to a sewing machine repair place to have some maintenance on it.

The Simplicity 4923 pattern is passable (scroll down the page it is the second to the last on the left). The shirt has the correct shape but the gussets and such have been included into the cut of the basic pattern (you don't have to use the ruffles on the cuff's). I believe that the waistcoat is too short but can be lengthened. The frockcoat is passable. The breeches? I don't know ...Didn't use that pattern but I am guessing it isn't far off. lol It is not "accurate" in the sewing methods but it could work and has for starters and for quick results. Heck, you may be able to find this at a thrift store it has been around for a few years now.

The actual patterns that you need are tougher to sew until you know sewing terms or have seen the actual finished product, then they are rather easy. Now if you can get Mom to do the sewing ...!

• 5 weeks later...

Silent

It is possible to make your own clothes, and there are some great patterns available now for GAoP pirate stuff. The problem may come in when your expectations meet reality.

If you are new to sewing, there will be a little bit of a learning curve before you gain enough understanding to put together something worth wearing. I don't have a machine, so I hand sew everything, and I hate to admit to how many short jackets and slop trousers I made before I had something that I would wear out in public.

That being said, there are a few items that you could take a stab at with a reasonable chance of success. There is a shirt pattern on my site's Basic Pirate Kit page, and with a little bit of linen, you could be on your way.

It may be easier though to enlist the help of a friend that sews, or just buy completed garments to begin with if time is an issue.

Good luck, and don't forget to post your progress.

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

The waistcoat you can obtain from a Simplicity pattern that Silkie mentioned. Shirt is not too bad but not perfect.

The slops though... well, hopefully Sterling helped ye out there. :)

Check with local fabric stores. It's Halloween time, so that means LOTS of fabric on sale. Sometimes even the 100% stuff like linen, silk, cotton and wool. I've been able to get quite a bit of linen, cotton and silk rather cheap (like around $5 a yard).

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!