Me wife needs a skirt

Rats

I usually use 4 to 6 yards for a good full skirt (I make gored skirts for a better look)- depending on how big the person is. Most of the time I use elastic for the waist bands, but sometimes put in a set waistband with lots of closures that can be made tighter or looser depending on weight gain or loss.

2 1/4 yards to 3 is more than enough for a middling sort pc skirt..(at least 45" wide)

6 yards for a mantua (60" width)

3 for a shirt (at least 45")

1 yard outer for corset (at least 45")

1 yard inner

1 yard interlining

1 yard for apron

go to linen for some of the best 100% linen

Also Rats... Haunting Lily has volunteered, (okay I threatened her with a keel hauling) to make proper petticotes for crew members...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

2 1/4 yards to 3 is more than enough for a middling sort pc skirt..(at least 45" wide)

6 yards for a mantua (60" width)

3 for a shirt (at least 45")

1 yard outer for corset (at least 45")

1 yard inner

1 yard interlining

1 yard for apron

go to linen for some of the best 100% linen

Also Rats... Haunting Lily has volunteered, (okay I threatened her with a keel hauling) to make proper petticotes for crew members...

*Sigh* Keel hauling is my favorite.....

Period petticotes are a snap to make. The pleating is obnoxious, but they turn out ome much nicer than elastic or if there is a drawstring....at least in my opinion. I do have plenty of just skirts that have a drawstring, and I prefer my period ones over them. :)

Banner.jpg

I agree with you Kate. The pleated ones hang so much nicer and seem lighter. I had a couple of drawstring petticote's that I changed into pleated ones with waist bands.

Rats, if you send me the material, and give me a couple of measurements, I'll whip one up for you. (I'd rather not be keel hauled this week :blink: ) snigger.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

I safely go with 3 yards of material. That would be more than enough for the skirting and the waistband.

I like the waistband with the pleating more than I like the drawstring.

~Lady B

<_<

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Ok I have this stripped oatmeal... Linen /osonnaburge kinda thingie which I think would make a nice skirt for Mags???

Wil take a pic and post when I wakie wakie!!

Thanks again everyone....

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

:huh:

3 yards should be plenty enough, Rats. As I said, for skirting and waistband. And what ye have left can go for linen rags, quilted coat or blanket or scarf, or something else depending upon how much you have left, that is IF you have anything left.

Now, Dogge. Rats is right charming in a ladies petticoat. :huh: How else is he gonna pull of a Pintel and Ragetti?

~Lady B

:blink:

Actually my daughter said I remind her of the guy who they threw in the mud wit the pigs and the guy who keeps calling the girl a puppet :huh:

So how does one cross Pintel with Norrington :blink:

rats.jpg

Yeah I'm a mutant..........

sig2.jpg

:blink:

Well.. not a teenager, so that's tossed out...

not a turtle.... that's tossed out...

not a ninja... that's tossed out...

Middleaged Mutant Pirate Bloke?

Oy, oh, how that skirting/petticoat/jupe (whatever th' hell yo'r making) comes out nice.

~Lady B

:huh:

Sounds about right... 40 years next June!

Haven't even started on my wifs skirt... Waiting for approval on the fabric once I photograph the rag... I'm finishing up on more slops right now...

Kinda torn b-tween nice and compfy or more narrow trowers???

Think I'm using a mid weight linen and maybe a heavier should be used??? These are nice and light though, I'm just worried about wear and TEAR!

sig2.jpg

Photograph... and no more De Niro.. ow my eye!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/