Stinkpots

We will be engaged in a land battle later this year, with barbarian hordes of the local LARP group. I would love to lob a few stinkpots into thier midst, though it's doubtful that they will notice, being hairy unwashed cow-bellied landsmen.

Does anyone know what went into the stinkpots of the period and how they were made?

Smoke grenades might be helpful too!

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

StinkPot Rule #1: Prepare and store to Leeward !!

Traditionally, there seem to be two favored types of stinkpot: one with a flame, and one with no flame. (let's not throw a flaming...anything into the powder room)

First, have the crew save up their fish guts... need I say more...? In a few days (or weeks) you end up with a nice grayish sludge. Place this in clay pots and 'Heave Away Joe" !!

The other method primarily involves pots of burning sulfur. The stench of burning sulfurous compounds can be quite stifling. Sometimes one would ADD the "fish digest" to the sulfur mixture for an especially pleasant effect.

On a more modern note: there is a product called, "LIQUID ASS". Yes, I said liquid ass !! Go to www.liquidass.com for description and several funny (gut-wrenching) videos. :rolleyes:

Guaranteed to break-the-ice at parties!

For those with chemistry backgrounds, here is a list of chemicals with noted aroma...

Thiols

Methanethiol (used rarely, it is a gas and therefore more difficult to handle than liquids)

Ethanethiol deer urine

Propanethiol

Butanethiol, Eau de skunk

Pentanethiol

Other sulfur compounds

Hydrogen sulfide, smelling of rotten eggs (Dangerous! Is as toxic as Hydrogen Cyanide)

Carboxylic acids

Propanoic acid, smelling like sweat

Butanoic acid, strong foul smell, effective and long-lasting

Pentanoic acid

Hexanoic acid, smelling of cheese

Aldehydes

Amines

Ethylamine, fishy smell

Putrescine, smelling of rotten meat

Cadaverine, smelling of rotten meat

Heterocyclic compounds

Indole

Skatole, smelling of feces

• 4 months later...

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>StinkPot Rule #1: Prepare and store to Leeward !!</span>

Traditionally, there seem to be two favored types of stinkpot: one with a flame, and one with no flame. (let's not throw a flaming...anything into the powder room)

First, have the crew save up their fish guts... need I say more...? In a few days (or weeks) you end up with a nice grayish sludge. Place this in clay pots and 'Heave Away Joe" !!

The other method primarily involves pots of burning sulfur. The stench of burning sulfurous compounds can be quite stifling. Sometimes one would ADD the "fish digest" to the sulfur mixture for an especially pleasant effect.

Wonderful instructions! I need to try these, thank ye!

Generally I just feed my daughter brussels sprouts and salsa and wait 6 hours......

Jack

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

From Borders Away II, page 23... A Fire pot or Stink pot...

Smith's 1692 Sea-mans Dictionary:

To make a Composition that will burn and feed upon the water.

Take of Mastick half a pound: White Frankincense, Gum Sandrake, Quick Lime, Brimstone, Camphire, Gun-powder, of each one pound and a half; Rozen one pound; Salt-Peter four pounds and a half; All these mixed together when fired will burn violently and feed upon the water.

This would be put into pottery or glass shells.

Besides being ferocious, their fire was nearly inextinguishable and its infernal recipe was often designed to produce an intolerable boil of noxious smoke if water was sloshed onto it.

Edited by Dorian Lasseter

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org