Garters

Me calves be too stout fer garters sold by sutlers an' their ilk, so I had me the idea of usin' leather dog collars to keep me stockings in place. Besides the diff'rence in buckles, be there any diff'rence 'tween garters an' collars?

I have pretty meaty calves myself (19 1/2 inches), and found that the British military style garters from G. Gedney Godwin fit me with room to spare. I think the leather is much more forgiving than a dog collar. Might be worth a try.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

Well, mine are made of ribbons & lace!

But then, I was attempting to be "Regency" not GAoP.

Got drunk at the "rum tasting" before the Regency ball and unabashedly hiked up my sagging garters on the dancefloor. The band leader looked aghast.

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

I purchased my garters at Jas Townsend. I honestly had to cut mine down to size and I've thick calves.

I've used ribbon, too.

But I would think using dog collars might work, too. Especially the leather ones if you find any in a large size that are leather.

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

:lol: .....I think," If it holds yer stockings up, It's acceptable....Frenchies was big on ribbonds, and I got to admit, it looks good in a pyratical sorta way....My favorite garters were made by a fellow re-enactor , Greg Harrington... He does alot of historic advising and work on accoutraments for the movie industry...i.e Last of the Mohicans,The Patriot, etc.....They are , for lack of better words, Eastern Longhunter Garters....Problem is I lost one at our POTC 3 event in Bakersfield California.....Since then I wear one of them with a G.Gedney Godwin I purchased over 30 yrs ago....Kind of a Pyrate make due unmatched pair....I kinda like the look and historical correctness of the combo. I think ,"The more flamboyant, The Better," for our purposes.....Dare Ta Be Different.........Iron Hand.... :lol:
galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

As a general rule, leg garters are thin, as in a half inch wide and small buckles. Dog collars that small are not usually long enough to reach around adult calves, and the buckles are just wrong. Check out Jas. Townsend and son for garters and buckles. You may want to consider making your own to suit your taste. If you are near Fort DeChartres on the Mississippi in Illinois, the first full weekend in June is the big event for vendors and such. Lots of goodies available there.

Bo

I have pretty meaty calves myself (19 1/2 inches), and found that the British military style garters from G. Gedney Godwin fit me with room to spare. I think the leather is much more forgiving than a dog collar. Might be worth a try.

Yer a convincin' lot an' so I'm gonna see if that Godwin fella can fit me hambone.

Honestly, if you can handle some basic leather work, get some leather from Tandy, I think Jas. Townsend sells the garter buckles... just stitch them into place and punch the holes accordingly.

Garters are not only thin width wise, but the leather is not heavy, mine stretch with regular wear. Also in the meantime, the guys did use whatever came to hand, ribbon, string, and such...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I found th' one inch wide stripe o' linen used t' secure me boot sheath in place serve double dues, it hold me stockin' up 'n it hold me knife in place...

...well, th' knife stay in place till the director yell "Action", then some times it fell out, so use an extra strip o' leather 'n tie it tight! :ph34r:

oh, 'n the tails hang'n out below me breeches look right fashionable too! :ph34r:

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

• 4 weeks later...

I used some stiff leather with holes (1/2 inch wide with my name punched in)punched in the ends and tied with cording, then added beads to them to hang. That way I can adjust if I turn the cuff over or just not. I think Scupper has some.

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

also there is a cheapy yardage place in my area that has dirt cheap buttons, snaps, zipper pulls, buckles etc. I grabbed a whole assortment for my future buckle needs. They had small ones as well just like in the garter pic I posted above.

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

• 4 months later...

If ye still be looking for garters. i make them. I do custom work as well. have standard size which are the same as JAS Townsends and some larger. Choice of silver or brass buckles. 8.00 pair plus shipping

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

• 2 weeks later...

I lost 2.. they slid off my boot top and then down my leg. I didnt tie them tight enough and lost them over a season.

Scupper's garters are very nice, adjustable, can personalize them with your name. I actually need to buy another set for my other boots so I dont have to change them out. I've also seen them with a loop and button or Chicago screw. I'm not sure they are period but look handsome.

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

if you need another pair of garters Merry darling the be yours. i'll make ye a set before the yule season starts

Love Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

• 3 weeks later...

They be the same as the pics in JAS Townsend. i have siler as well as brass buckles. I add ye name if ye wish. I dye them black, brown or mahagony. Ye be needing a pair? HMMM may be that be what I be giving for the Yule Season this year