Looking for Wood Powder Measures

Sykes Suttlery has them...

There are other sources (mostly in the UK) that I just can't find my links to at the moment. They are also called cartouches, or the whole set up is often referred to as a "bandolier of cartouches".

The use of wooden cartouches is starting to fade as the Golden Age is warming up, but they are still seen rarely. By the 1690s they have almost disapeared entirely and been replaced by belt worn cartridge boxes, although if memory serves me well, I think I have stumbled across a few very early 1700s references to them.

Below is a picture of a set from the 1630s from the Royal Ontario Museum that my fiance took... Sorry about the picture quality, but that particular display case was in a corner and it was hard to find an angle without glare.

2339300398_d2dbb2a13b.jpg

Michael_banner.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

These are from the Frazier International History Museum in Louisville, KY. They are a little early for GaOP, but they were probably still being used to an extent. If you're doing an early impression, they're fine.

I recommend "The Painted Lady" for good reproductions at a reasonable price.

www.paintedladycrew.com

martin@blueriver.net

812-883-1415

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org