Looking for calico fabric

I’m in the market for calico fabrics, preferably block printed. I’m not necessarily looking for period authentic, but it’s always a plus where I can get it. I have found the following three links for calico fabric here on the Pub:

Calico Jack's calico fabric and bandannas

Museum of Printed Textiles of Mulhouse museum shop

Calico Corner Online

This morning I found the Saffron Marigold website. They’re a company in India who block print the old fashioned way. They don’t make anything really up a pirate’s alley, but of all things their 27” square cushion covers seem like they could be easily fashioned into a bandana or neckerchief. I know that some pirates traveled far in their careers on either side of the law, and I am looking for an opinion on whether the cushion covers would seem too out of place as part of a costume if modified for head or neck wear. Would they be too garish even for a Hollywood pirate?

Anyone know of any other good calico shops?

You need to get in touch with Leslie M. Dotson of the Chien Noir Trading Co.

3030 North River Rd

West Lafayette, IN 47906

765-463-2171

odettelabelle@sugardog.com

Anyway, she carries PROPER calico block-printed bedsheets for about $30-$35 each. She can tell you what is appropriate for which date. She has several that are perfectly documented for GAoP. Her sheets are printed with the exact same BLOCKS that they used in the period, so you know it's right. Plus they're about half or less of the price of the other company you spoke of. One kind-size bedsheet will make several shirts, a frock coat, or a couple of waistcoats if that's what you're looking for. Or you can make about a dozen headscarves and give them to your friends! You'll need 30 inches square for a headscarf.

Hope this helps!

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

Oh, and no, pirates wearing calico is perfectly correct. However, I would veer away from the cushion covers simply on the grounds that they may be difficult to work with. You'll have to take them apart and then you won't have exact suares. Plus, I doubt that they're 30" x30". In all actuality, 36" x36' is waaay more comfortable and allows room to tie it properly and have that nice "piratey" look of the ends hanging down in the back.

Besides, the bedsheets are cheaper, and they're correct, and you will have some left over for other projects. What's not to love?

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

I've had some luck finding some Calico styles on even cottons and linens at the local fabric store. Alas, I hadn't the extra coinage to obtain such treasured finds. They come and they go mighty quickly.

Just gotta look for them and know what to look for based on what one has seen from real outfits and also in what experts have mentioned (and careful what each expert says, some are consistant on the same thing while on other things they conflict and vary. It's the consistancy and what you might see out there from real period attire that is best for you to use your judgement upon).

The first one seems rather neat for some bandanas.

~Lady B

:(

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I went to the Museum in Mulhouse (your second link) a few months ago and bought the first neckerchief (Compagnie des Indes). Its pretty cool.

The thing with calico prints though are that "styles" change, so what was being printed in the GAoP wasn't what they were printing in 1770 or later.

But "calico" doesn't have to printed. There are plain, solid color calicos as well...

Hmmmm.....

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

BanyanpaintedanddyedcottonIndianexp.jpg

Man's Banyan, first half 18th century, made of Indian calico for the English market.

bedorwallhangingmadeinGujaratforEng.jpg

Bed or wall hanging, Indian calico made for the English market c1700.

sorry only two examples of Indian calico prints from the time that I have found as of yet... the first may even go out of the GAoP.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/