Cavalier Privateers

Hawkyns

Does anyone have the wording, or can direct me to where i might find the wording of the letters of marque issued by Prince Rupert during the interregnum? I keep seeing references to a number of Admiralty sites, but my access is blocked. Any of our Brit friends? Foxe?

Thank you

Hawkyns

:lol:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Is this what your looking for ?

April 1649 An Act declaring the grounds and causes of making Prize the Ships and Goods that shall be taken from time to time by the Parliament Ships at Sea, and for the Encouragement of Officers, Mariners and Seamen.

It's not the actual Letters of Marque but the Act authorizing "What shall be lawful prize.; Revolted ships,; all others that joyn with them,; all that take Letters of Marque from Charls Stuart or Prince Rupert,; and all others carrying Contrabanda goods."

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Thanks, Iron Jon, but that's the wrong side. I'm looking for the letters of marque that were issued to the royalists, after the beheading of Charles.

Hawkyns

:lol:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Hawkyns

The male historian I told you about sent me over to Barbara Donnegan to ask her. She said there might be something in the Calendar of State Papers Foreign for the years you're looking for since Rupert would have probably been issuing them from Holland. There's another possible source she says but she need to go to her desk to get the citation.

She also suggested any biography might have something even if it is very little.