Careening Camp & Links

I am instigating interest in establishing a careening camp a la the PIP Mercury camp at a local NW pyrate weekend.

I would appreciate any and all advice, stories, warnings, tales, and anecdotes yall have to offer.

I would most appreciate to hear from he organizers of the PIP careening camp, especially regarding as to their expectations going into the creation of such an encampment, the joys and difficulties encountered, and any and all advice their experience has to offer.

In case I have not so far made it clear: I am open to all input regarding this subject! I want to know what goes into making a great historical reenactment!

I believe William really kickstarted the the concept. You should talk with him. It seemed pretty loosely organized last year, although William had some beautiful blueprints (or 'draughts' if you want to be proper) of the Mercury. While we never did much with them, I thought they gave a sort of underlying organizational facet to the camp. Even if we couldn't actually have a real ship, we knew what it looked like.

This really seems to have started small, though. I know William told me, bu I have forgotten the facts regarding the Mercury Camp. I'm not clear on whether they did it last year or this was the official christening of the concept. I do recall that they were in the fort with the other pirates in the past, which would sort of make the 'separate' Mercury camp idea a challenge. This year we had a separate camp, but the organization was loose, as I mentioned. Being so allowed me to take on the surgeon's role (which I thought would be a sort of overlooked thing due to the expense of purchasing equipment, but there are several people in the various crews who attended PiP who do/will do it - equipment or no.)

This year there are several people with really neat ideas building upon last year - Sophia with her spice trader idea, Iron John with his carpenter materials, Jim as captain ;) , Silkie with her most likely less than ordinary ordinary &c. Hopefully all the cool stuff from last year will be back to like Patrick's able seaman, Jim's oar house and Willie Wobble's magnificent cook's set-up and Boo's site. (I hope Boo returns!)

But I think you have to start small. Get in touch with event organizers and propose your idea and find a core group to establish some period correct tent sites. That alone brought some people out of their way into our site. Really, check with William. This is his brainchild from what I understand. And if you notice, he's a big promoter of the idea (even though I suspect it's not his nature. ;) )

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

2007 was indeed the first year for the Mercury careening camp. The initial thought for this year was to have the camp because of a sea battle that resulted in blowing the powder magazine of both ships (they were too close) and both crews would have to cohabitate on the same beach with limited supplies until they could remove themselves from the situation. This was suppose to allow for MANY scenerios. Additionally I think plans were in the works to have a schedule of sorts.

Yes, speak with William Red Wake.

The initial thought for this year was to have the camp because of a sea battle that resulted in blowing the powder magazine of both ships (they were too close) and both crews would have to cohabitate on the same beach with limited supplies until they could remove themselves from the situation.

This was suppose to allow for MANY scenerios.

Yes, speak with William Red Wake.

Aye but this is NOT going forward this year, perhaps another time...

There will just be two different camps again, like last year

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/