How do I wear two swords?

roytheodd

I'm going to use my tax return to buy a cutlass and I am toying with the idea of ordering two instead of one to be even more fearsome. I currently have no gear for wearing even one sword, so I'm in a good position to buy whatever is needed to wear two. The problem I have is I have no idea what to buy or where to look to carry two swords. Anyone have any ideas? Would I wear two baldrics criss-crossing my body? Is two swords a bad idea for a pirate?

Wouldn't two swords tend to trip you up in battle? They were only for close combat. In fact, I've read several times where a pirate used a spent pistol as a club rather than using a sword at all. What would be the point of a second sword? In case the first one breaks? Perhaps you might have a dagger and a sword.

Now pistols are another matter. Since they had to be reloaded every time they were fired, having more than one of them would make sense. I've read accounts of multiple pistols being carried by pirates...maybe you could do that instead? A nice brace of pistols would look cool...

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

What would be the point of a second sword?

To look kewl and ninja-like?

B)

How about an air pirate on Barsoom? As I recall, Barsoomian tradition was to go around armed with one long sword and one short sword. When challenged to a duel, an honorable Barsoomian would draw a weapon of equal or lesser length.

B)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

To take this on a bit of a tangeant...

There is a bit of a trend in the local SCA groups to use two long fencing weapons. And I mean long, it is not the least bit uncommon for me to fence opponents with two fencing weapons with 42 inch blades each.

I fence with a single 28 inch bladed weapon, and you know what? I can regularly beat most of the people that use the two 42 inch blade deals... Because the weapons get in each others way, and are really quite a bit slower than my shorter lighter blade.

The people I have the most trouble with, are those that fence with a single regular to long blade and a buckler, or a short off hand dagger. I loose against opponents that fight that way more often than not.

Which just goes to show, that in my experience the two long sword business is just Hollywood/Matrix-ey nonsense, and the most effective fighting methods involve one regular (or long) weapon on it's own, or with a short defensive weapon as a second if you really feel the need for it.

BlackJohn summed it up pretty well with his whole "look kewl and ninja-like" comment.

Remember people, pirate are already kewler than ninjas! B) We don't have to try and fight like them to be kewler! We just have to fight like pirate to beat them. B)

Michael_banner.jpg

To be ultimately kewl, you would have the scabbards across your back and draw the swords simultaneously. Wicked kewl, anime-like.

I still say a brace of pistols. If you can carry four or five pistols across your chest, you will definitely get noticed. They don't even have to be the same kind of pistol as pirates stole them off captured ships willy-nilly and likely would have a whole host of different ones. (You could be like Tuco and assemble them from multiple different pistols. Or am I getting too fanboy here?)

Ah, what do I know? As a surgeon I don't carry a weapon. Well, not technically...come to think of it, it depends on how good you feel I am at surgery as to whether I carry a weapon, I suppose.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

There is a bit of a trend in the local SCA groups to use two long fencing weapons. And I mean long, it is not the least bit uncommon for me to fence opponents with two fencing weapons with 42 inch blades each.

Wow, sounds like some folks have serious inferiority complexes. Feel a bit...insecure...sir? B)

Yeah, when I am feeling like throwing some banter into my fencing matches (in a very hollywood like manner), and there are no children around, I point out the fact rather often... Although it has backfired on me...

It's often difficult to see your opponent clearly under fencing gear... and taking a shot at an opponents man-hood, when said opponent is a women somehow looses it's impact. B)

Michael_banner.jpg

the two long sword business is just Hollywood/Matrix-ey nonsense

The first time I ever remember seeing it, and done by none other than the all-time great fight choreographer William Hobbs, was in 70s version of The Three Musketeers. Now he was cool.

:rolleyes:

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

The only purpose of two swords is to look more menacing, i.e. cool. I want to be armed to the teeth so I am looking at at least one sword and one axe and at least one pistol. I am considering if I want more than one sword or if I want a brace of guns or both. My dilemma, and a serious consideration, is how to wear two swords.

You could put fuses in your beard.

Two swords would be awful awkward to climb onto ship's decks, move among crowds of your fellows in the limited space on a ship, fight with agility &c. So if you really want to do it, you're going to have to cast aside all practical considerations and go for the Hollywood look. I guess I'd have one on each side (or across the back - if you're going to eschew reality, go all the way!)

You know, the person I'd ask if I wanted to do this is Iron Bess. You might pm her.

Actually I would suppose it be the 'type o' pirate' one is going fer.

Not all pirates were English, nor Irish, nor Dutch. There were many from other lands and some o' those lands was custom fer two bladed duel. However they were seldom 'long', usually shorter blades balance an' dance together better.

As fer carrying two swords, there is of course the special back scabbards, then one could fix up a special dual side carrier, perhaps one on top o' the other, er one could cross two baldrics, one left and one right handed draw. In either case it would have to be custom made and thus will not be cheap unless ye build it yer self and have access to the material.

Myself, I prefer just one and then a couple other short hand blades....kinda to pluck morsels from me plate with a 24" blade.

Now the baldric o' pistols, that I would like too, but Expensive fer all that hardware!! (but o' course a real pirate would just take them where he see them!)

But I do not see any problem with a pirate who chooses to carry two blades, be they the same size or one shorter.....if however they can do so without looking like they about to fall ov'r!!! But mind ye all, Hollywood did not invent the double blade scheme....did a pirate ever use such a tactic??? don't really know, see'n as how few records actually exist compared to just how many REAL pirates there really were out there....those who died, those who just never got caught, an' those who just faded away.

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

Supposedly -- and I've not seen this myself, just read about references to it -- it wasn't completely unheard of for two rapiers to be used at once.

Granted, the time period is way off, but I've read about references in some of the old fighting manuals which taught fighting with and against two rapiers, so fighting with two long blades may not be a completely Hollywood or SCA thing.

Just some of that useless info rattling around in my noggin...

sig2.jpg

On the note of "to look more menacing" would also fall in line with National Geographic's version of the Blackbeard story, for the way they tell it he dawned two cutlass' and 6(?) pistols, and o' course tucked cannon fuse under he's hat (I think he's head was just cold actually), not to engage in combat with his opponent but for the shear purpose to strike fear into them....an' that he did mates, an' that he did, enough so that he has gone down into the history books an' with just the reputation he always said he wanted.

:rolleyes:

Now o' course no man in he's right mind would be expectin' ta actually 'engage' another man while bein' under such burden, e'n if he is as big as ol' Blackbeard. But if'n one's intention is to strike awe and apprehension at first sight 'before' the battle, then that may just be one approach.

You might try Barbossa Leather: Home of Barbossa Leather

He made my baldric and does very nice work, he loves to do custom one-of-a-kind pieces and most likely would love to tackle something like this. He is not exactly cheep but then who is when it's not cookie cut? He is also fast for he does not seem to be 'backlogged' as many are when you go to get something custom like this and he will work direct with you throughout the whole process from design to delivery. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Having solicited peeps at the Ren Fair, the sword maker, and two baldric makers I have received the following options:

Wear two baldrics (matching or not)

Wear a baldric and a frog

Get a custom made baldric that crosses one shoulder and hangs to both hips

Of these options I really sort of like the notion of wearing two baldrics. I'm a natural lefty and I'm going to wear my sword left-handed no matter the fashion of the time. With that in mind it wouldn't be ridiculous for me to steal some poor sop's right-handed baldric and blade. However, that's not what I'm actually going to do. What I'm going to do is to go ahead and get my sword and lefty baldric and see how it wears on my person. Once I've tried it on and gotten used to it a bit I'll decide if it's worth getting a second blade. I think the bit that's clouding my judgement on this issue is that I really like the sword I'm getting, so much that I want two of them, but I can't really see having a matched set of swords work with my character and if I'm not getting two swords that I really like then I should stick with one. I think by ordering one at a time I'll be convinced that all I need is one.