History of the Pyracy Pub ???

I just realized that it has just been over 5 years that I have been dropping in here for a dose of all things 'Pirate'. The Pyracy Pub has grown and gone in many directions, evolved if you will to what it is today, but how did we get here? I am a little foggy on even how I stumbled in, (maybe too much rum? naw, that couldn't be it :D I seem to remember getting an invitation, not sure from who, or what the connection was, but glad that I did. From my post information it says I am member #4, and I know there is a member #3 but no sign of members One or Two. Does anyone know who and how this fine establishment was opened? We have been here for over 5 years now, and maybe it is time to put a little History primer together regarding how we got here.

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

There used to be quite an extensive post about this in Beyond Pyracy, but it got purged. Alas, I don't recall much of it, but I'm pretty sure the site was originally owned by someone in California and got sold to Graysail (who is on the East Coast) a few years back.

Stynky Tudor (who designed the little pirate emoticons we use) seems to be a reliably good source of info, but he probably won't see this thread. He drops in at the Pirates in Paradise Festival forum every now and then. You might pm him if you're really curious.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Stynky has been running with some of us from PRP out at Disneyland lately....

I'll let him know about your quest mates. :D

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

As for myself, I got into it fairly early on. I saw an add for it on the No Quarter Given website, and it was all down swell with a quarterly wind from there.

Coastie :D

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

The Pyracy Pub was started by Christine Lampe aka Jamaica Rose who puts out No Quarter Given.

After she realized she couldn't handle everything, she let Stynky Tudor take over as Moderator for all the forums.

When Stynky realized he could no longer handle things by himself, he contacted me first to become the very first 'lend a hand' Moderator. Shortly thereafter, others were contacted and they became Moderators.

Stynky turned the Pub over to Graysail - someplace back east, that I believe is run out of some college, though I could be wrong on that one.

Unfortunately as times have changed, the Pub forums have not and as many already know half the things on this site don't work.

I've PM'd the Admins. I don't know how many times about the problems and nothing gets done. It's very aggravating. :D

Rumba Rue

Ah, I do know a little...

Graysail aka Bloody Buckets owns and runs a company, I believe it's a marketing company of some kind in...Virginia? He bought the site from someone other than Jamaica Rose - some guy whose name I've forgotten. This is all according to what Stynky told me at PiP. Booty (our current Admin) works for Graysail and was handed Admin duties when Graysail discovered he didn't have enough time to regularly feed, water and care for the site.

Moderators are chosen for their obvious good looks and wizened brains...but mostly for our drinking skills. Graysail once shot me in the knee just to remind us all that he was still captain.

captain%20gbu%20spec.jpg

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

Well a toast then to Jamaica Rose for launching the good ship Pyracy Pub, and also to those who have kept her afloat for the last 5 years. She may take on water now and then, and need the bilge pumped (no reference to Bilgemonkey there) But any good Pub takes a good deal of its reputation from those who choose to occupy the premises. Drinks for all, to celebrate 5 years! :lol::lol:

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Aye! Huzzah!

:lol::lol:

Th' Pub has been a constant compared t' other forums. And been incredibly active...again, compared t' other forums.

There be no better place I know of than th' Pub.

I honestly can't recall all th' details how I found th' Pub. But I found th' Pub first and Pyracy.com... then spotted No Quarter Given and other things. And it all snowballed from there.

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I don't remember if I found the Pub or the Pub found me.... B)

Actually I believe I found the link on No Quarter Given thanks to Jamaica Rose. I lurked for awhile and then joined and started posting. In simple terms....I was hooked and haven't been able to get away since..... ;)

Here's to the first 5 years and the next 100+ years to come! ;)

I might be wrong on this, as it's been a few years, but I don't think that Jamaica Rose was the founder of the pub. She endorsed it and helped with it's conception, but was really hands off. I forgot who it was that actually started it, though. Regardless, it's definitely one of the good things that I've stuck with for the last 5 years (can't believe it's been that long, actually).

Coastie B)

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

i don't remember how i stumbled into this here establishment. there was some connection about the pa ren faire and jack sparrow and somehow i fell in and 3-1/2 years later - - i love it! <_<

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

I sorta' remember Stynky telling me it was a guy who founded the pub. He told me the username and I promptly (perhaps, more accurately, drunkenly) forgot it. I'm pretty sure it was in the thread in Beyond that is now gone because they were discussing the founding and kind of joking about how few members there were at that point. I don't recall Jamaica Rose being in that discussion at all, but I figured that since I didn't originally register until late 2004 and thus have no recollection of the actual event and the referent thread was now deleted and gone and I couldn't reference it, I could well be wrong. Maybe I'll ask Jamaica Rose about it.

Looking at the members list, it appears Red Maria has been a member since day 2. Maybe she'd remember some names? All I know is that it appears some dude named Angus MacVox once ran the show.

https://pyracy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2066

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

'ello All,

Misson has alerted me to this discussion.

Actually the Pyracy Pub was started by Ford Vox (Angus McVox). Last I knew, he was in Alabama, not California. He had contacted me and suggested there should be a forum for No Quarter Given readers. I had too many other things on my plate to start such a thing. He asked me if he could start the Pyracy Pub in the "No Quarter Given" name. I gave him permission, and for a while he had me set up as a moderator on the Pyracy Pub, along with himself (he was also administrator), and one other I think (can't recall if that was Stynky, or if he came along a short time later). I moderated for a while, but didn't really have the time, so eventually I helped Ford recruit some other moderators (Iron Bess being one of them, I remember).

Many months and members later, Ford said he wanted to sell the site. Stynky approached me about the two of us buying Ford out, and then Stynky would manage it, but Ford sold it to someone else (Bloody Buckets). I guess we were out bid. I don't know if he lives in California -- I had the impression he was from back East somewhere.

Hope this helps set the record straight,

--Jamaica Rose

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

I stumbled into the Pub by way of Michael & Jarmaica's No Quarter Given Magazine. The videogame company I were working for had themselves a subscription and I leached what information I could from its pages. There were few to none reputable or reliable periodicals at the time, No Quarter Given being the only one I knew of.

Once the No Quarter Given Pyracy Pub got started, I lurked about the shadows for a long time. At some point being compelled to sign articles, I was soon causing trouble and giving people a hard time.

Though for the life of me I can't imagine why, Ford - Mister Angus McVox, the original owner, asked me to help out and moderate a couple forums. I also worked the board - tried ta help people feel welcome and keep discussion threads alive.

Soon me duties growed into administrative and I was coordinating with Jarmaica as Ford - Angus McVox began to make himself scarce. It weren't long before I had all sorts a folks up in arms and threatening ta send out fireships.

Ah, those be the days. . .

Then out of the deep blue, the No Quarter Given banner disappeared and Angus announces that he be selling the Pub off to the highest bidder.

Caught off guard and strapped for cash, I weren't able to buy her meself. I initially tried to guilt him into giving the Pub to Jarmaica and me out right, on account of the Pub's popularity being tied to the, No Quarter Given Magazine name, the only Pirate Magazine being published at the time. Plus all the work and hours I had put in administrating, managing, fixing layout code and display bugs.

But Angus be looking for cold hard coin. So at Pirates in Paradise - November and December of 2003, Jarmaica and me pooled what monies we could gather and I made an offer. Needless ta say we was out bid by the Gentlemen from South Carolina - Mister Bloody Buckets.

Angus did offer me a percentage of the sale and asked that I continue working for the Pub - obviously not wanting to jeopardize the sale. Though it would have been nice to realize a percentage for me efforts, I didn't and neither did No Quarter Given I'd wager. But I wasn't working at the Pub for money anyway, I was just a pirate obsessed idiot that spent way too much time on the computer.

It twere all disenchanting for me somehow and chronic illness was taking it's toll. After the sale was finalized, I did my best to help make the next few months a smooth transition for Bloody. I also hired multiple moderators for each forum, it use to be a few of us did everything - way too much work.

Once everything seemed to be running smoothly, I gave Bloody me notice and backed off of Pub life. Only to visit occasionally, to say hi to friends, check on raids, get supportive notes from me sweet heart Iron Bess and go back to lurking in the shadows.