Skeleton embossing seal

I was looking through a National Geographic magazine (May 2007) and saw something interesting in an article Jamestown (Jamestown - The real story). On page 60, a silver embossing seal caught my eye.

It depicts a Skeleton holding an arrow in one hand and an hourglass in the other. I went to the Jamestown web site and finally found it on one of their "Where are we digging now" pages.

http://www.historicjamestowne.org/the_dig/..._2005_11_29.php

next to a picture of the seal it mentions,

""This is typical 16th and 17th-century imagery

representing the passing of time and the shortness of life.""

I had always connected skull and crossbones, skeletons, etc. with Pirates. Dead men tell no tales and all that stuff, but it seems that all parts of society were somewhat preoccupied with thoughts of death back in those days. Jamestown is a bit before GAOP, but there are a lot of nice pieces showing up in their digs that relate to our period.

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

I hadn't thought of it until just now, but the motifs of the pirates would have to have good cultural currency in order for their message to be communicated by their flags. Precious little intimidation value in having the merchantmen scratch their heads... "why has that skeleton an hourglass, is he cooking eggs? Is he waiting for a fellow to return the bow that goes with that arrow?"

Thanks for the Jamestown link, much to explore there.

Your most and obliged humble servant,

William Dezoma