Machete to sword project ?

I was at Cabela's ( a hunting, fishing and outdoor gear store here in the USA) and found a new machete. It is 28" overall, with a 21 5/8" 420 stainless blade. It was $24. It has a 'saw back' but that could be cut out with a dremel abrasive wheel I think. Just wondering if it might not make a nice, 'cheap' hanger. At the very least, I can engage trees and brush in boarding actions out in the woods. :blink:

Meyerco28Machete.jpg

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Other notes, blade is stamped "made in china" but it seems rather nice, very sharp, thickness is 3/16" at the blade back and the D-handle is held on with three philip's head bolts with recessed nuts instead of rivits, so getting the rubber handle off the tang should not be a problem. Anyway, I know it is not a 'real' sword or hanger, but were not the swords of the first Buccaneers, their long butchering knives? which could have been an early form of a machete? Anyway, I saw it there at Cabela's and it didn't have a price, when I found a employee to ask, and he looked it up and told me $24, I got two :blink:

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Aye lad, a machete makes a great sword. me one and only has been with me fer over 20 years and has been used in parades as a ground scraper as well as hacking through brush. You can pretty much let your imagination run wild with that as a starter. Some have told me that mine looks more authentic than most of the expensive ones around.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with the project. Hope it turns out well.

Colors of the Sea Nymph

PirateFlagAxesig.jpg

"Let's drink a Damn to the Halter, lads, and them that lives to wear it"--Bartholomew Roberts

"You are a devilish conscience rascal, I am a free prince, and I have as much authority to make war on the whole world, as he who has a hundred sail of ships at sea, and an army of 100,000 men in the field; and this my conscience tells me: but there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."--Sam Bellamy