Evolution of Wine Bottle shapes

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/a-botls.htm

This site shows a time line for the evolution of glass bottles, the first being 1630-1660

I have been trying to find 'cheap' sources for period looking glass bottles and ran across it.

on a side note, there are bottles that might well be true to GAOP that are still being sold today, something I am still researching. Franconian wines (region of Germany) are still sold in a particular style bottle, the "Bocksbeutel" which has historical testimony for the late 1600's. As far as I can tell, this is a flattened onion bottle shape, that some people associate with Portugal wines, but has it's origen in Germany.

Bocksbeutel.jpg

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Littleneckhalfshell (and interested others)

It just so happens that i am typing this post in the Heart of Franconia, where I have been living for the last 5 years.

The bocksbeutel ain't like a onion bottle though... its flatter and not "round" like an onion bottle. Like someone sat on it and smushed it a bit.

I think the Portuguese make a similar bottle. Apparently, it (bocksbeutel) derives its name from a Ram's (Bock's) nut sack, which they claim they originally stored wine in....

That's the legend anyway.

I have a few more pictures of shipping stuff as well.... I'll dig em up and add more later.

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I have one of those bottles, and though it looks cool, I suspect it is blown with a mold, since I think there is a seem line running around the bottle. I do not know if they used bottle molds in the GAoP; for some reason I am think they did not. However, I am certainly no expert.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

• 1 month later...

great information

here is a pdf on cermaics and glass making that may shed some more lightcermaics and glass pdf

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/a-botls.htm

This site shows a time line for the evolution of glass bottles, the first being 1630-1660

That's a pretty simplified chart. I would definitely recommend Hume's book. It has three pages of evolution on bottles. In some cases, just one year made a huge difference in design.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

But also remember that for a particular date or period portrayed, it is just necessary to not have anything from a later date, since things were used and reused until they were for the most part, broken.

Our Ancestors were way ahead of us as to 'recycling' and not much went to waste.

Bottle style charts are sort of a guideline if you will :angry: and though a NEW style could come about in a single year and change the next, still there were at the same time people making bottles the same way they had for the last 50 years.

I think the best use for the charts is to see if something can be used to relativly protray a particular period. (I for one am ok if the bottle shows mold marks, even if the original was free blown as long as the shape is in keeping with the period) Otherwise we might bring it all to an almost unobtainable requirement of using only true antique pieces, which in truth, being often marked with the ravages of ages passing, would truely not be recognized in period. After all, a whole bunch of stuff we think of as being period, we think of as 'old', and when it was in period, much of it was the new thing on the block, the very height of advancing technology. But I am all for being as true to history, as my poor sailors purse can muster. :(

Off the subject, I know, but Let's Talk Beer!

I was looking for authentic old-fashioned ale, something that would have been more representative of long before the Prohibition, and Budweiser, and I picked up a couple bottles of St. Peter's English Ale and Old-Style Porter in the microbrew section. But what's unique about the thing I read on the back label it says:

"Our beautiful flask-shaped oval bottle is a faithful copy of one made c. 1770 for Thomas Gerrard of Gibbstown, NJ, just across the Delaware river from Philadelphia"

Wikipedia says they are actually gin bottles. You can get more info here:

St Peters Brewery and Wikipedia

STPETERS.jpgSPETERS2.jpg

SHIP2-1.jpg

Both bottles are nice. Sans the metal cap of course..

Would bottles from the 18th C have those spring loaded tops (sometimes incorporating cork) you see on other jars and vessels of the colonial period? (Sort of like what holds down a mason jar lid? Or am I thinking of something later..

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I think you are thinking of something later.... such as the Lightning-type closure found on Grolsch beer bottles even today.

""Dating notes: In general, Lightning-type closures were popular on soda and beer bottles between the late 1870s to at least National Prohibition in 1920. After that time use was limited on beverage bottles; the crown cap dominated by then. The peak of use on soda bottles was the mid-1870s to early 1890s though some use was made at least until 1911 (Elliott & Gould 1988). For beer bottles, where this closure was as dominant as the Hutchinson closure was for soda bottles, the peak use period was wider than for sodas - about 1880 to the early 1910s"" http://www.sha.org/bottle/closures.htm#Cork

except for certain pewter screw tops that were in existance in the GAOP, wired cork (like champaign), tied cork, or just pressed in cork were the most common form from 1600 on to my understanding. Cork retainers (a early form that likely led to the Lightning type stopper) were patented in the mid to late 1800's (19th Cent.) So I would say that most metal, spring loaded type of closure systems are definitly out of period.