Period Correct Containers

Barrels, Tons, Pins, Hogsheads etc.

There is a reference to a document that says for Royal Navy Ships going on a LONG sea voyage, that a portion of the containers for Beer could be in Metal Hooped barrels.

(This information was provided by Cpt Tightpants... if you search for barrels at the pub, you should find it).

Anyway,

All of the pictures of barrels, from the smallest to hogs headish ones that I have found depicted in paintings or engravings seem to have wooden hoops. I will let you draw your own conclusions, and I really don't want to get into the same argument again but I thought I would post some pictures for the new folks (and old folks that haven't tired of this yet).

First

The previous post has an Early Edition of Johnson and shows Black Beard with a wooden hooped barrel.

Second

Weigel's "Cooper" circa 1700

Wiegel-1700-cooper.jpg

Third

This is from Van Mieris' 1718 "Peepshow". I cropped it to the important bits, but there are three barrels, all with wooden hoops.

barrel-1.jpg

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Just perusing on-line and found this link detailing a bit of history for leather drinking vessels and other containers.

Leather Drinking Vessels

Here is a replica of a leather tavern mug or "blackjack" from 1700, right in our period, with the mark of the crown which signified that it held a full pint. Also, here is a pic of the official decree poster which required the vessels to be so marked.

WR1700_tank.jpg

WR1700_notice.jpg

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

A quick run down of casks and crates found on La Belle.

88 barrels, mostly white oak staves, some beech and some willow

split willow and chestnut was used for the withies on all but the largest casks

10 wooded boxes, probably pine

• 2 contained trade goods
    1 carpentry tools & other items
    4 muskets and swords
    1 undetermined
    1 found outside hull, based on style probably held personal items
    1 kettles, pewter plates, candlestick holders, a ladle

The crate holding trade beads was constructed of sawn white pine boards, 28" long, 11 inches wide and 11 inches deep.

Also worth noting, 74 brass tacks were found. They were found aft, and could possibly have decorated a leather covered chest that rotted away over time.

You forgot the 4 - 4lb cannons on board, since you listed the muskets and swords. I've saw the artifacts from the La Belle up close just this past Thanksgiving. The La Belle was found off the coast of my hometown, Bay City Texas in Matagorda Bay and the local Museum had several on exhibit. It was difficult to take pictures as it was all behind glass, but I did manage to get some great pictures of the cannon.

P1010061-480x357.jpg

Here's a picture of some wooden apostles for holding gun powder.

P1010080-458x339.jpg

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Here's a picture of bundle I took at the American Heritage Festival. He made it from painters cloth that he painted and then wrapped with rope.

P1010044-365x267.jpg

I understand it made a great seat.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Here's a picture of bundle I took at the American Heritage Festival. He made it from painters cloth that he painted and then wrapped with rope.

*image removed*

I understand it made a great seat.

I can also see the value when traveling to events. bring in the fabric and rope wrap something local. If it is just for show wrap old cardboard or NPC wooden boxes then burn them on the final night!

Quick aside...I worked in the restaurant biz for years and once knew a waiter guy who migrated: North in the summer and South in the winter. Each time he arrived and found a new apartment he would fashion furniture out of cardboard: glue up stacks of flattened boxes and then carve out couches, tables, chairs and beds. These he would cover with salvaged foam and cheap cloth glued and stapled in place. You couldn't tell what they were made of. At the end of each season he had one hell of a bonfire.

I now return you to yor regularly scheduled informational thread.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...