PiP Plane Stories

Misson

Because I wound up taking several things home on the plane which I had mailed to myself along with several other things that people had generously brought down for me, I wound up packing most of my surgical equipment and bloody rags into an extra backpack I was using for the week. The backback contained a lot of weird stuff including a period tourniquet, an 18" long wicked-looking capital knife and several other barbarous, inquisition style medical tools. For good measure, I threw in my fake bloodied linen rags. Upon opening my bag, I found a "Notice of Baggage Inspection" informing me that my bag and it's contents had been searched for prohibited items. They tied the surgical tool pouch much more nicely than I had. (Can you show me how you did that? It was beautiful.) Oh, what I wouldn't have given to have been a fly on the wall in that inspection!

I had heard some other funny stories about Mary Diamond bringing the medical chest and all its little bottles (including one labeled 'Arsenic') in as a carry-on and M.A.d'Dogge hauling black powder guns as carry ons. (I'd tell them, but they're much funnier when they tell them. So tell them!)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Flying from O'Hare to Miami, I made the decision we would carry Mission's Medicine Chest to ensure the bottles arrived safely. I already knew we would be going through additional security checks, as I have a metal hip, so expected a slight delay as they also checked the bottles. Mark (my husband) spoke with the security detail as I was getting examined ~ the guard inquired of him what all the little bottles were (note that several of them contained powders of some kind), then saw the hats ~ "Oh, re-enactors... OK." Not the response I expected from security conscious O'Hare! Much less interesting than some of the other incidents ~

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Yes, but did he roll his eyes before (or after) saying, "Oh...re-enactors)? :(

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I didn't go to PIP, but when Chain Shot and I flew to Ojai, the Medford, OR airport security guys almost confiscated our pewter mugs. I had both of them in my carry-on bag, and the man held one up to show his superior and asked, "Is this okay?"

Like we could really take over an airplane with an ale mug. :(

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I didn't go to PIP, but I've had my fair share of airport fiascos. Once, I had a brass telescope in my carry on, and of course they thought it might be some sort of bomb. Especially, when I told them what it was, and they extended it without taking the cover off. It took a surprisingly long time to explain how to properly use, focus, etc. without being able to touch it.

I've also flown with a number of firearms before, and surprisingly have had almost no problems going through security. It actually seems like it goes faster, because as long as you know the rules (in some cases, better than they do), they just assume you're legit.

Coastie :(

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I had a minor hasstle at the airport on the way out of Key West ...

I had just declaired that the wooden case (as checked baggage) had unloaded weapons... the the ticket agent had to "check" if a home made case made outta 1/2" pine boards screwed together..... was a "Hard-sided" case....

The other agent noticed that I had a p-38 military can-opener on my key ring.... so that had to go into checked baggage.....

Just one of those silly bits.... kinda like when after the parade... Jim, Mary, Rusty and I were stopped by a cop on Deval st. for our swords..... I thought he was going to say something about the pistoles and blunderbusss (blunderbi ? ) but he was only worried about the swords

wellllll.....after gitin up at 4am...to git to the detroit airport by 5am...for my flight ant 6:40 am....found out that my flight was cancelled....(look at play by play post)...waitted 3 hours for a new flight and itenaery..and after a layover in ft lauderdale.....ended up on the same plane as my brother (billie) flying in from california...3 seats ahead of him....an finally landed in key west airport....to bad my luggage didna make it with me :lol:

all i had was my carry ons.....my pyrate hat....a seacoat(it was snowing when i left detroit)...and a fiddle i didna know how to play....for the first day at PiP...i was known as the "NAKID PYRATE"...just wearring me hat, coat and fiddle....you should have seen how i played that fiddle!!!!!

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Should have taken yerself down to Duval Street.....could have given that Mozart fella a run for his money as a street performer!

MaeBar-1.png

The world stands out on either side

No wider than the heart is wide.

~E. Millay